Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Apple launch.. new iPhone time
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve hung on and on using a 6s since it was released and over that time it’s been flipping marvellous, including a free battery upgrade.

So time to “move on UP! and keep on buying ..”

And pass this phone on to my Wife (who has my old 6.. and that phone is falling apart.. like literally)

So, XS or just last years X or maybe keep the size of the 6s and go for an 8?

Dunno, anyone playing with an X they can categorically say “it’s awesome” because if not I’m going for a discounted 8 on SimOnly and buy outright.

TVMly

tomhoward

I have an X, it’s pretty awesome.

DrJ

Definitely the X 🙂

BTW – how long before a non-Apple user comes on and says “I’m not going to buy a new iPhone”?

jam-bo

I’m just out of contract on a 7 and quite fancy the new camera in the X or the Xs.

This place has changed though. A couple of years ago this would have already been a multi-page thread of fanboi wars.

revs1972
    Free Member

I’m not , after issues with a broken screen on the 7 and how Apple dealt with it (I.e didn’t) I vowed both to buy another

Went over to the darkside with an S9 and not looked back

rocketman
    Free Member

Apple have pulled the X from their store but resellers still have them

So, XS or just last years X or maybe keep the size of the 6s and go for an 8?

obv you need an Xs Max no one has a phone with a ‘home button’ lol how quaint

legend
    Free Member

obv you need an Xs Max no one has a phone with a ‘home button’ lol how quaint

Apparently punctuation is quaint now too 😉

slowbloke
    Free Member

Just out of contract on my 7. XS for me. Max is too big for my liking and I’m not waiting another month for the XR. Well, I say I’m not waiting another month – I guess only pre-order day on Friday will tell.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Disappointed in the Xr – a new phone with a  720p screen

Seems a strange decision

lunge

Old 6 sat here, debating an upgrade but I think I’ll hold on. I was right on the upgrade cycle in the past but the 6 has just worked for me and the 8 I have for work isn’t really any better. Plus I have some really nice headphones with a 3.5mm jack.

zilog6128

New camera processing stuff looks amazing, I wonder if it’s as good as they claim IRL?

eSIM option also looks v useful for work users but as with the Watch limited only to EE customers? Pull your finger out o2!!

petec
    Free Member

just slightly disappointed there was no smaller phone.

the SE hasn’t been updated. Even the 4.6″ screens are no more. There’s a [massive?] market out there for the smaller phone and there’s only the slightly out of date SE and some Sonys (Sonies?) that are decent enough.

tomhoward

Plus I have some really nice headphones with a 3.5mm jack.

The phones without one come with a lightening adapter. I went from a 6+ to an X, it’s not been an issue for me, I just leave the adapter on the headphones.

slowoldman

Too big, too expensive. My 5S still works so I’m sticking with that.

Bimbler
    Free Member

The phones without one come with a lightening adapter.

Not any more they don’t

Kryton57

Why would you pay £1000 for a phone that can achieve the same end as one you can pay £160 for?

sbob
    Free Member

BTW – how long before a non-Apple user comes on and says

3.5mm, shnarff shnarff shnarff.

it’s not been an issue for me, I just leave the adapter on the headphones.

So if you want to plug your phone in elsewhere you have to carry your adaptor and your headphones?
    What an arse ache.

Am I doing this right? 😀

Bimbler
    Free Member

Why would you pay £1000 for a phone that can achieve the same end as one you can pay £160 for?

Some people like to buy nice things :shrugs:

Same as Bikes, Cars, Watches etc etc etc

jekkyl

I’d like an upgrade to the SE as well, I don’t want a mini-tablet in my pocket. Are they discontinuing the SE does anyone know?

simon_g

I generally think these 1080p+ displays on phones are a bit of a nonsense, past 300ppi and you’re into seriously diminishing returns.

XR likely for me, don’t think OLED and the cameras will be worth the extra for XS and the “in between” size seems a decent compromise. Main disappointment is that “coral” is not as orangey as I’d like.

simon_g

Yes, SE is gone. Entry level is iPhone 7 now (£449 32GB / £549 128GB).

earl_brutus

Cant see the SE on the apple website anymore but they have em in Currys for £239. Im running a Iphone 6 and will probably go for an iphone XR when they come out

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

XR looks the best of the bunch

Shame no SE available?

DrJ

No reason. If you could actually do that.

wukfit
    Free Member

Giff gaff had SE’s for £199

jimdubleyou

I was worried about that, but it’s the same pixel density as the 6s/7/8.

I wouldn’t be able to tell if my 6s was 720 or 1080 or whatever, it looks fine – but I think I’d want to see it in the flesh before committing.

Plus, it comes in yellow or orange, and is £250 cheaper!

GrahamS

Really disappointed they are ditching the SE. Mistake IMO. 🙁

The SE is a really good size for me, I don’t want a massive phablet, I want a phone I can put in the pocket of my jeans and still comfortably sit down. I like being able to use the whole screen with one hand. I like being able to mount my phone on my bike without creating an aerofoil. I like having a battery that lasts more than a day because it’s not powering a massive screen.

jam-bo

Breaking news. Kryton57’s next car is a Dacia Sandero

zilog6128

Why would you pay £1000 for a phone

new dynamic lighting system for camera makes your selfies look cray ripped

zippykona

Can you pop the back off and change the battery yet?

bikebouy
    Free Member

it’s a good question..

My 6s cost £699 BITD when God weralad, amortise that over 3yrs and that’s a couple hundred quid a year.. deduct the £100 for the wife’s 6 and that’s about £150 a year which let’s face it is hardly anything for a handheld computer that allows me to post on here from the bog and annoy some of you lot! Bargain when you think about it.

The 8 is £699 and X £999… 8 will fit in my poncy man wallet, X won’t. X has photo enhancements and I do take about 30-40 pics a week of my food and post them to insta once I’ve filtered them to death.

Not that bothered about another lightning plug for earphones..

And I can afford a new phone by recycling this one to the wife who seems to use hers for grouting and paint mixing.

GrahamS

Is.. is that.. a good thing? Being… “cray ripped” with the “selfies”? Sounds frightfully painful.

zilog6128

I liked it when they ran the exact same article 8 years ago. At least they bothered to update the name of the guy who’s died since to make it fresh!

http://newsthump.com/2010/06/08/steve-jobs-unveils-reasons-why-your-iphone-is-already-rubbish/

Bimbler
    Free Member

8 will fit in my poncy man wallet, X won’t

Must be a very tight fit as they are quite similar in size

jimdubleyou

Can you pop the back off and change the battery yet?

Nope, but you can’t do that with any high end phone these days. It plays havoc with the waterproofing.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The SE is a really good size for me, I don’t want a massive phablet, I want a phone I can put in the pocket of my jeans and still comfortably sit down

Likewise.  I was hoping for an SE sized phone with a full front screen but seems we’re very much in the minority.

So – what’s the smallest phone in the new range?

For headphones, are there any good BT converters – that seems like it might be a better solution than a lightning adaptor if you’ve got to add something to current phones

DezB
    Free Member

I generally think these 1080p+ displays on phones are a bit of a nonsense,

Couldn’t agree more! It’s a tiny screen! What the hell benefit would you get from such high resolution.

I’m hanging on to my 6S – and my next phone will have a headphone socket…. I can’t stand bluetooth headphones!

Kryton57

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>bikebouy
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

it’s a good question..

My 6s cost £699 BITD when God weralad, amortise that over 3yrs and that’s a couple hundred quid a year.. deduct the £100 for the wife’s 6 and that’s about £150 a year which let’s face it is hardly anything for a handheld computer that allows me to post on here from the bog and annoy some of you lot! Bargain when you think about it.

The 8 is £699 and X £999… 8 will fit in my poncy man wallet, X won’t. X has photo enhancements and I do take about 30-40 pics a week of my food and post them to insta once I’ve filtered them to death.

Not that bothered about another lightning plug for earphones..

And I can afford a new phone by recycling this one to the wife who seems to use hers for grouting and paint mixing.

My problem is I’ve been lucky on the Android side.  I had a Moto G5 – £150 sim free, then a G5s which I bought from the classifieds for £60.  Ideally I want turbo battery charging, some splashproofing and a faster / better phone within either sub system thats going to cost me >£500 to have a phone that doesn’t come with the flaws I don’t want, which is mainly a bigger size than can fit in my Birzman phone wallet thingy.    When you’ve spent £210 on 2 handsets over 3 years, suddenly £500 for a “bit” more feels excessive.

</div>

Mrs K has a 6s though and its her 40th next year so I’m saving to get her an inscribed X as my present to her.

bob_summers

Likewise.  I was hoping for an SE sized phone with a full front screen but seems we’re very much in the minority.

Add dual sim and I’m in.  It didn’t compare in build quality, but the Oneplus X came about the closest to ticking all the boxes, I should have kept it really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Apple launch.. new iPhone time’ is closed to new replies.