Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • apple iphoto help
  • meeeee
    Free Member

just started using iphoto (just got a macbook) and its doing my head in!

I’ve imported lots of photos over the last couple of months from my digital camera into iphoto. Anyway at the weekend a relative wanted a dvd with these on so she could get some prints done and also view them on her computer (windows PC).

So i go into iphoto to burn a dvd, but it says this will only allow me to use it in iphoto. If i want to make a dvd that can be used at a photo processing place, or for windows use i have to use the ‘burn’ function in finder. ok…

When i go to finder and select burn my iphoto library (and i cant select individual pics in finder, just the library) it wont let me do it as i need a disk with 11GB on it, ie too much for a dvd, and i dont have an external hard drive, and it wont let me split the burn over several DVD’s. 👿

So i think a-ha i know i’ll install Canon image browser and export / burn from that… except when i do this none of my iphoto pics show up, and i cant find them on the mac as they are just labelled ‘iphoto library’ which when i click on will only open iphoto!

So what i want to be able to do is…

1) back up pics onto dvd’s in a normal picture format (eg jpeg) on a dvd that will work with any computer, not just iphoto.

2) how can i get all my iphoto pics to show up in canon imagebrowser, ie i would like them in a normal folder not just in ‘iphoto library’ which i cant seem to open and browse pictures without iphoto opening.

I must be doing something wrong but have no idea what.

geoffj

Backups use Time Machine with an external usb drive
    You can point the canon image browser at the iPhoto folder or use a different folder and export them from iPhoto to there.

FWIW, I find iPhoto great, and you are probably just suffering from pctomac transfer itus. If you stop trying to do everything the PC way, it will get easier.

For burning images to DVD, you can export them as files from iPhoto into a new folder and then burn them as normal files.

meeeee
    Free Member

thanks,

I tried pointing the image browser at the iphoto library, but it didnt see it as a ‘folder’ so wouldnt accept it and show images.

If i export all the iphoto files into a new folder does that mean i have duplicates on the computer, and i can then delete the iphoto library and it wont delete my photos in the folder i have exported to?

I noticed there is an option in iphoto to import directly into iphoto which was ticked, (or some similar wording, am on work computer at moment). Should i deselct this for future imports then it will import into a folder of my choice that i can also use for other programs?

I am liking the mac, but yes, as you say will have to unlearn my windows ways!

greggparker9
    Free Member

Just select the images you want, export using the export function. Put them in a desktop folder or anywhere you like. Burn contents of folder to cd and then delete folder.

You can choose image size toe export etc.under the export button.

geoffj

If you right click the iPhoto library ‘file’ in the pictures folder and select ‘Show Package Contents’ you can see all the files. You can then move them to a regular folder – just be aware that there may be some duplicates in there from editing etc.

I noticed there is an option in iphoto to import directly into iphoto which was ticked, (or some similar wording, am on work computer at moment). Should i deselct this for future imports then it will import into a folder of my choice that i can also use for other programs?

Yes, if you want to use the canon software, but TBH I would persevere with iPhoto because of all the integration stuff – Photostream etc., it does.

greggparker9
    Free Member

Also the other thing you can do is just below the export button in the file menu should be ‘reveal in finder’ this will take you to the original file of the photos and you can drag and drop from there to disk as well.

I haven’t tried but if you put your blank disk in the drive you might even be able to select it as the export location when you do the export.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

When I moved to a Mac last year iPhoto was the bit that gave me the most headaches. As suggested above, if you embrace the way it works it is fab. If you try and get round “the Apple way” you will cause problems and grief.

If you must get into the iPhoto library (which I don’t recommend) you can right click on it and “Show Package contents”. Your photos will be in folders with a structure that relates to when they were imported. More trouble than it’s worth in my opinion. The iPhoto library is at its best if left well alone. If this doesn’t give you what you need, then yes you will be best importing your photos the “PC way” and then adding them to iPhoto rather than adding them directly. Unfortunately this will duplicate your pics in the iPhoto library.

If all you want is to copy selected pics to a DVD then you can just drag and drop the piccies you want from iPhoto into a new folder and then burn that, as suggested above.

There’s loads of stuff on the internet about iPhoto’s pros and cons. A few more of my experiences here

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘apple iphoto help’ is closed to new replies.