Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Apple Fans: iOS 6 – your thoughts?
  • matthewjb
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Unless turn by turn uses cached maps, it won’t really replace TomTom – which runs on any old iPhone and copes with lack of network…..

Agreed. I use Co-Pilot on mine. The big bonus is the ability to use it abroad without a crippling data charge.

IA

For those interested (all 0 of you? 😉 ) in “apple”‘s maps:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9227978/Apple_signs_global_agreement_with_TomTom_for_maps?

So it’s TomTom mapping, though google’s real strength in the POI info they have, reviews, etc. etc. Cos you look at a map to find something, not just to know where you are.

Cougar

SVOX. Definitely working, I’ve just tested it.

There’s a comment on the Store for SVOX, paraphrased,

“didn’t work in copilot as it should, I complained to copilot who released an update that fixed the issue. Now these voices work in ICS.”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deviant
    Free Member

Is the BBC iPlayer site in ‘flash’?….if so does it run on iphones?

Thats the sticking point for me, my main reason for going to a smart phone was to be able to keep up to date with MotoGP when i cant watch the races at home due to work commitments (shallow i know)….the BBC site streams live TV faultlessly to my phone so going to an iphone that wouldnt do that would frustrate me.

If the BBC iPlayer streams to iphones then i’m open to swapping over from Android, the 4 and 4S are still the best looking handsets out there from any manufacturer in my opinion.

Good news on the sat-nav thing too….i was gobsmacked that iphones didnt come with turn by turn sat-nav already installed like Android devices do!

vanilla83
    Free Member

scaled – Member
    Curious if i’ll be able to preserve my baseband :$

Yes you will. But it won’t be fully confirmed until the final release.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Deviant

Iplayer app works just fine streaming

Kato

will miss the street view available on google maps

GrahamS

Is the BBC iPlayer site in ‘flash’?….if so does it run on iphones?

Yep. IPlayer site works fine on iPad and iPhone. It uses HTML5, rather than Flash, on compatible devices.
    There is also a dedicated app for it that lets you set favourites etc.

Same for ITV Player, 4oD and Demand Five.

Good news on the sat-nav thing too….i was gobsmacked that iphones didnt come with turn by turn sat-nav already installed like Android devices do!

Yep. Deliberately crippled by Google, but there are plenty of 3rd party apps that do turn-by-turn sat nav with proper offline maps (including free ones and ones that do turn-by-turn cycling navigation) so I’ve never seen the issue.

deviant
    Free Member

Good to hear, hopefully the 4S will get a discount when the iphone 5 arrives….and then i’m due an upgrade in December.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well nice to see what you lot are getting these days!!

Just in terms of the Android updates – why burden older devices with features they can’t handle?? No need to update my HTC Desire to the latest version. Newest isn’t always best for everyone.

IA

SVOX. Definitely working, I’ve just tested it.

There’s a comment on the Store for SVOX, paraphrased,

“didn’t work in copilot as it should, I complained to copilot who released an update that fixed the issue. Now these voices work in ICS.”

Ah interesting, that’s very recent then, hopefully some other providers will follow with updates soon.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Cos you look at a map to find something, not just to know where you are.

I don’t. I normally find things (restaurants, shops, whatever, not geographical features obviously) elsewhere (Google, a mate, whatever), then look at a map to see where they are and how to get to them (for which I also need to know where I am); or just turn on a sat-nav if I can’t be bothered.

I never use POIs, I always turn them off if I can. I see them as adverts, and they get on my nerves.

…just saying’ 🙂

IA

I never use POIs

I mean this in the most general sense. You never search in google maps for a restaurant say? You always look up the address, and then search the maps for the address?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

You never search in google maps for a restaurant say

I’ll search the map to locate a particular restaurant, yes.

For deciding where to eat, I wouldn’t use the map or the POIs, no.

IA

Yes, but knowing where the restaurant is on the map is using their POI database. Otherwise you’d need to look up the address, then search for that.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Oh OK, I’m sure you’re right – I don’t know anything about databases and I don’t want to 🙂

I think of a ‘POI’ as an annoying purple or green splodge on a map.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Or orange.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Apple Fans: iOS 6 – your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.