Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Apple Carplay – useless in remote locations
  • jaminb
    Free Member

Trying to drive around the Peak District at the weekend – I had no google maps, no digital radio and no telephone. I only managed to get navigation once I was heading home (about Burton).

Is there a way to preload routes before heading off line?

Thanks

igm

I switched it off in favour of the car’s sat nav.

stevied
    Free Member

If you use google maps you can download a specific area so that it still works without a signal.

matt_outandabout

Is there a way to preload routes before heading off line?

Yes. On Google maps, on iPhone.

If it’s a long route it pops up automatically when you’re on WiFi and asks if you want to download.

Or – Burger/three line menu, offline maps and select your own area.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As above, I find google maps is better than Apple’s own Mapapp. I’ve downloaded most of the UK and France, they do make you re-download it every year or so I think, but it’s only a small amount of data relatively.

jairaj

Does Google Maps do offline routing now? It’s been a long while since I tried.

Don’t know if Here Maps works with Car play, I’ll try out it tomorrow when I’m in the car (I prefer Apple maps).

But you can download the whole of UK and other countries and it will do routing offline without access to the cloud.

I keep it on my phone as a back up.

franksinatra

I’m really surprised you didn’t get any data when driving around all day. which network are you with?

mashr

Does Google Maps do offline routing now? It’s been a long while since I tried.

Think the first time I was showed it was around 6 years ago when a mate used it for driving to France

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m really surprised you didn’t get any data when driving around all day. which network are you with?

It’s pretty faultless unless you’re starting with a poor/zero signal, it seems to download the bulk of it when you start, if you pass through a dead zone you lose traffic info, but it still works.

jsync

I think Waze does offline mapping too.

simon_g

I still have copilot on my phone with full offline maps just in case, but I have most of the places I go MTBing as offline areas in google maps and that works great.

jaminb
    Free Member

thamks all. I am on EE driving from Alstonfield to Ladybower and back and then down south next day. Worked fine on the way from the south to Alstonfield.

Cougar

With Google Maps, if you plot the route on Wi-Fi before setting off it will cache the data it needs. I’ve started using it extensively for the last year after declaring the car’s inbuilt satnav to be toilet, and also on holiday in the US a couple of years back, and not once has it complained about a lack of signal.

I too have Co-Pilot, but I’ve not felt the need to use it in ages.

mrmoofo

I thought it would be great – but it is very clunky to use. Hence I tend to use the car’s navigation, with google maps when it gets congested.
    And it doesn’t work when there is no phone coverage

johnnystorm

Waze if it’s an obvious address, Google maps if it isn’t, OSMAND+ if I know there’s no signal and Apple Maps if I want to get lost in Downham Market for all eternity.

burko73

I just use Apple maps on CarPlay. Never even had to think if it’s online/ offline. It just works and doesn’t seem to rinse data. It preloads the route up front and just downloads what it needs to keep things accurate I th8nk.

doris5000

dunno if it’s good in the car, but I use Maps.me when I’m out walking and it’s great for when you’ve got patchy reception – all the maps are stored locally (this does mean you have to download them ahead of time).

kerley
    Free Member

I can only use Apple Maps via Car Play as my car doesn’t have an independent sat nav. It doesn’t work where I live as it requires a signal so I have to drive a mile down the road before I can enter any destinations. Once done it is then fine.

CountZero

I’ve been using TomTom on my iPhone for the last three, nearly four years, and that works with CarPlay. Not that I have a car with any inbuilt navigation to use it with, but should I replace my car with something a bit more up-to-date, then I’ll be able to take advantage of it.
    I used to use Here and CoPilot, but I can’t find anything to show if they’re CarPlay compatible, Wade and Sygic are, Waze is free, but Sygic is a subscription App, as is TomTom, but I’m happy to pay to get one of the best nav apps around.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Apple Carplay – useless in remote locations’ is closed to new replies.