Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Apple airport internet issues
  • Hobster
    Free Member

Has anybody any advice on how to set up access to the internet via an airport express.

Can get the computers to connect ok but the internet part is another matter.

Currently connect via an adsl modem using PPoE with I think the modem also doing DHCP.

Any help greatly appreciated before the airport becomes a paperweight.

bigrich

i think you need the apple router to get tinternet through the express.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Is your ADSL modem wireless? If so, you just setup the Airport Express using the utility so it is added to your existing wireless network.

Hobster
    Free Member

It’s an old school wired modem so connected to the airport using an ethernet cable into the WAN socket.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You should be able to just plug an ethernet cable from your main router/modem to the Airport. If not, try a factory reset of the Airport and run through the Airport Utility (in Utilities) set-up again. You may need to turn the main router off and on again.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I think the ethernet socket can act as a WAN or LAN socket. You probably need to switch between the two using the setup utility. As above, I’d suggest hitting the reset button and starting the setup of the AE from scratch.

footflaps

You can use an Airport Express to create a LAN, using DHCP, behind your DSL/Cable modem. I’ve used them for that in the past, but now have an Airport Extreme and use the Expresses as end points.

EDIT You only want one DHCP server, so either turn it off on the Modem or off on the Express.

pixelmix
    Free Member

EDIT You only want one DHCP server, so either turn it off on the Modem or off on the Express.

+1

euain

Are you sure your modem is PPPoE – the one’s I’ve used are just a modem connected to the internet and then straight ethernet to the Airport on a normal IP network.

PPPoE is something a bit different where you’d be asking the Airport to do the authentication etc. on the ADSL – whereas it’s normally all handled in the modem (and through PPPoA in my experience).

Frankers
    Free Member

My airport is working with a BT fibre optic modem so yes should work without problems, at work at the moment so can’t check settings.

euain – Member
    Are you sure your modem is PPPoE – the one’s I’ve used are just a modem connected to the internet and then straight ethernet to the Airport on a normal IP network.

PPPoE is something a bit different where you’d be asking the Airport to do the authentication etc. on the ADSL – whereas it’s normally all handled in the modem (and through PPPoA in my experience).

This is right as my modem needs a router for authentication

Hobster
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help so far as you might of guessed am a numpty at these sort of things.

You have to enter a username and password on the modem so not sure if this is PPoE or PPoA

There is an option on the modem to turn off DHCP and manually assign IPs to connected devices (this would be the airport?) If I set this to no would the airport then distribute IP’s to the connected computers?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Apple airport internet issues’ is closed to new replies.