Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Apparently, I'm a tosser?
  • BrickMan

Long story short, live on a fairly well to do street in a city near where they make Irn Bru, apparently there is going to be some games next month?

Had loads of problem’s in my street with well to do folk who drive big cars, that cannot park, or actually drive them (number of times I get flagged down and asked to park peoples car for them is ridiculous). Had two bumpers in the last year.

Came home from work to witness a well to do person about to bang into a fairly new car parked (legit) in a disabled bay, stopped in the road to watch him not just ‘kiss’ the bumper of that car, but actually ram it so hard it moved the car back about 6″

Honked the horn to alert whoever the hell it was that they hit the other car, but nope, repeated it 4 more times (moving the car to the edge of the bay)

Bumper of the parked car didn’t look bad, however a few clip’s were burst,grill stoved in and inevitably the paint will flake and fall off it within a few days (which it now has).

The guy (60+ retired accountant type), declared he never hit it and if he did, there was no damage.

Politely asked him to put his glasses on and maybe check the other car (£15k worth of golf?) for damage.

Interrupted by a passer by who was very keen to tell me that I was a tosser, and apparently because its an urban environment, I should basically expect retired blind accountants to aggressively ram my (or anyone elses) car with their MPVs on a daily basis, or **** off to the country*

Started to go downhill from there, so took photos of everything, everyone, then went home for some coffee and local plod. Live on the same street, and as soon as I’d parked up, the ram raiding accountant type took off without leaving a note etc.

101 non emergency plod to let them know of happenings. However they were only interested in registering the details if I was the ram raider, or the ram raidee. Also feared for retribution from even older, even more retired accountant type who seemed to see no problem with damaging other folks property for the **** of it**

*Apparently angry retired accountant type tossers don’t live in the country?
    **Left a note on the damaged car which dissipated sharpish, reckon the no.2 angry tosser took it off as he lives opposite that car. How do I report it, and***
    ***should I give a **** anyway. I mean, afterall, its just a car****
    ****that isn’t mine, but mine (and my mates) have been damaged before, and don’t really like having to pay out a month’s worth of salary to pay for some other **** damage.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Remove valve cores from tossers car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

shoes
    wee
    bombers

or phone box, suspicious car, wires, been left all day officer

boxelder

Find the rammed cars owner and offer to be a witness.
    My dad’s an accountant, retired, but an alright fella.

konabunny
    Free Member

That’s a lot of asterisks.

rogermoore

On the basis of your understanding of the meaning of ‘Long story short’ I’ll go with yes. 🙂
    RM.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Long story short, live on a fairly well to do street in a city near where they make Irn Bru, apparently there is going to be some games next month?

So the question you’re asking is will there be some games next month ?

dooge
    Free Member

Its an NCRF, only bothered if you are owner of car 1 (accountant) or car 2 (Golf) however did the local plod get in contact? If I was them Id wanna know the details and photos and pass the offending details on. Maybe just slip another note on windscreen early morning and hope he/she picks it up on the way to work.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you intend to do something about it then watch out for the CCTV … watching you.

😯

Edit: no you are not a tosser.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is there some reason why you want to make it perfectly clear where you live, but not actually type the name of it.

Do you need help with the spelling ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cumbernauld?

user-removed
    Free Member

Write a note and slip it under the petrol filler cap so that, a) it can’t be removed and, b) the owner will inevitablyfind it. And Hell yes, get involved – drivers like that need told. Need I mention children’s faces?

BrickMan

No reason for not mentioning Glasgow, just making it more fun for folk 😉

I was trying to figure out if there was a way of the police passing on the details to the owner by post (when they have time obviously, its not a life or death situation).

Might just stick one under the filler cap, good idea!

Last time I lost a bumper, the other party offered to pay for a respray, car is quite old and reasonably battered (220k on it) so kept the job to a cheaper end of the scale place, could have been a dick and got bentley’s to do it, but I was happy, and they were happy I didn’t call the popo/insurers in on it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Might just stick one under the filler cap

Don’t you have to unlock the car to do that ?

BTW I would just write the short version of the story on the note.

user-removed
    Free Member

Ernie – I can’t say I’ve ever tried but I reckon you could force a folded bit of paper through the gap. The alternative is using a magnifying glass to burn the offender’s reg on to the dashboard through the windscreen…

bruk

I’ve done the leave a note thing, had the owner of the pranged car ring me up and gave them all the details. Plod called me to confirm details and the owner rang back later to say that the driver had contacted them and agreed to pay damages.

Well worth putting a note on the car again. Fuel filler is a good idea.

Drac

Well can’t be Glasgow, so that’s me stumped.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Might be worth a call to DVLA with the reg of damaged car, they should release owner details to anyone with a legitimate reason. They may not agree but being a witness to criminal damage that you want to tell the owner about sounds a good reason to me.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s a lot of asterisks.

Agreed. I had to check the OP wasn’t René Goscinny or Albert Uderzo

ampthill

I think you are in the right

But income brackets aren’t really the key to stories like this

unklehomered
    Free Member

*Apparently angry retired accountant type tossers don’t live in the country?

They don’t, they just buy it all for the occasional weekend and their loud twatty retired friends to borrow so we can’t live here either.

jam-bo

number of times I get flagged down and asked to park peoples car for them is ridiculous.

Do you dress like this?

Jamie
    Free Member

number of times I get flagged down and asked to park peoples car for them is ridiculous.

I must admit, I skipped over this bit first time of reading.

Is this actually a thing, that happens?

konabunny
    Free Member

Fuel filler cap note wisdom depends on how often the guy fills up petrol! I’ll quite often go a couple of months without stopping off at the petrol station.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this actually a thing, that happens?

Presumably only in the “fairly well to do streets”, I suspect that in the less salubrious streets of Glasgow if flag down someone and ask them to park your car you might risk never seeing your car again.

Cletus

Well done OP.

Too few people are willing to get involved so good job.

Re. the second guy I wonder whether he would be ok if you slid your handlebar end along the side of his parked car (when squeezing between it and another car) and just write it off as something that just happened?

Not suggesting that you do this but it would be an interesting social experiment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve offered to park people’s cars before after witnessing their in ability to get into the space. Generally they are so embarrassed they drive off. Once or twice they have accepted.

OP you did exactly the right thing. Camera phones make it much easier to record car reg details, damage etc these days. This sort of impact park is sadly fairly common in cities. My gf got back to her car to find the front wing buckled as someone had rammed the car so hard parking/leaving/attempting to park.

peterfile
    Free Member

Would be interested to know where in Glasgow this happens? One of the crammed streets in Hyndland per chance? Hardly “well to do”.

My neighbourhood isn’t exactly scruffy, yet the idea of this happening is bizarre. I wish my next door neighbour would ask me to park his 599 tbh.

Also, the tone of the OP confuses me. is it because the man has a higher than disposable income that makes him a dick, or unable to park his car, or not likely to leave his insurance details? Or is that just a coincidence you kept accidentally repeating?

natrix
    Free Member

Never having been to Glasgow, or lived in a city, I don’t know what is acceptable and what isn’t, but maybe that sort of thing is accepted on the big streets of Glasgow??

I was gobsmacked at how my French inlaws park in their home city of Bordeaux, it seems to be quite acceptable to nudge parked cars along a bit (in Paris on flat streets they even park with the handbrake off)…….

footflaps

I was walking down my street when I saw a transit van hit a parked car. The driver got our inspected the damage (big dent) and then just sped off. I wrote a note and left the transit van’s reg and description on the damaged car. They successfully claimed off his insurance for a new wing (it was a brand new Honda Civic).

tightywighty
    Free Member

OP I wish somebody had done the same as you did when some peenor crunched the bumper and smashed one of the lights on my 3 day old car then buggered off without leaving a note.

bigyinn
    Free Member

OP well done, regardless of the occupation of the person driving thats unacceptable.
    We had our car repaired from a car park bump (resprayed front bumper) and within a week there were fresh scrapes and a gouge out of it. FFS.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t know why a car part which goes by the name of “bumper” is unable to withstand a “bump”. There was a time when bumpers were expected to handle low impact nudges, they even made a point of not painting them. Now they even paint them in white – probably the most inappropriate colour of all.

GrahamS

I don’t know why a car part which goes by the name of “bumper” is unable to withstand a “bump”.

I think because changes in legislation means cars have to make some effort towards protecting pedestrians instead of their paintwork, so some “bumpers” now act as pedestrian crumple zones?

cardo

Nice one OP we live on a street where you have to park on the road /pavement and there are certain people you don’t want to park near as they use your car to park so to speak. We did have Asda drive across the front corner of our car and even with a witness and damage and all the hassle of insurance companies they got away with it….
    Like the note under the filler cap idea.

mt
    Free Member

it’s not a “bumper” anymore, it’s the first crumple zone. Some would say there are whiplash claim indicators.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does the need to provide a ‘pedestrian crumple zone’ really mean that a bumper can no longer handle a 2 or 3mph nudge Graham ? And while I accept that pedestrians are more important than paint why paint bumpers, specially if a nudge from another car requires them to have a respray ? We’re talking about very low impact bumper to bumper contact here as you might expect in a parking situation, not one car slamming into another at 20mph or whatever.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’ve used the phrase ‘well to do’ quite a lot and I only read half the post.

I’d also like to know what area this is in glasgow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Apparently, I'm a tosser?’ is closed to new replies.