Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • App to scan a barcode and apply logic to this number?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking for an app (Android and iOS) that will allow a user to scan a barcoded serial number. It would then applies some pre-defined logic to the serial number, and provide an “output” to the user based on this.

e.g.

Logic =
    if first digit is 1, and second digit is 12 or higher, output = “Product A”
    if first digit is 2, and second digit is 12 or higher, output = “Product B”
    if first digit is 1, and second digit is lower than 12, output = “Product C”
    etc

Does such an app exist? Thanks!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I can make one for you!
    Message me.

(how can the single digit be <->12?)

Duane…
    Free Member

Sorry yeah I’m an idiot, swap out 12 for 3

Or, second two digits are > 12

Will PM you shortly

zilog6128

I DIY’d a hardware one v cheaply which integrates with my home automation system! I was sceptical because I paid less than £20 for the scanner direct from China but it works really well, quicker than using a phone. Depends exactly what you’re trying to achieve, I guess.

Duane…
    Free Member

A smart phone can scan barcodes, so I’m not concerned about the scanner itself. It’s the ability to run some logic on that scanned bar code that I’m unsure about

Cougar

What if the first digit is 2 and the second is lower than [12/3]?

Duane…
    Free Member

See the “etc”

zilog6128

It’s the ability to run some logic on that scanned bar code that I’m unsure about

yeah of course, either a custom software or hardware solution (running custom software) will give you that. My barcode scanner is mounted on my beer fridge, I use it to scan beers in & out; my software uses the UnTappd API to automatically id the beer and then adds/subtracts it from an inventory system that I run on my home server. 😂
    (I’d be surprised if there wasn’t an app already somewhere on the App Store that’ll do what you want, but obviously you need to know what it is or what to google to find it!)

I’d defo take up sharkbait on his kind offer to knock you up an app, seems the easiest solution.

sharkbait
    Free Member

See the “etc”

There’s a lot of potential variations in there – I’m interested to hear what the actual use is…. I’m not sure it’s for tins of beans!

CountZero

There used to be a barcode scanning app to scan books into a list for reference for future purchases, but it suddenly stopped working, sadly.

I keep meaning to look for a similar app, but I just photograph the covers, and put them into a separate folder.

jkomo

Funnily enough, I’ve been looking for an app that can ‘find’ a number on a tray amongst a wall of numbers on trays. Sorry- slight diversion

rossburton
    Free Member

My barcode scanner is mounted on my beer fridge, I use it to scan beers in & out; my software uses the UnTappd API to automatically id the beer and then adds/subtracts it from an inventory system that I run on my home server. 😂

That’s awesome. Will you be my friend?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.