• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Chew.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • App for road touring in europe?
  • ton

looking for a good reliable app for mapping in europe, for cycle touring.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

donald
    Free Member

I’ve been using the free version of Viewranger and I’m very pleased with it. I create a gpx on the computer or download someone else’s from the web, then copy it to my phone via dropbox.
    You don’t get turn by turn navigation but you do get a beep to warn you if you drift off route. You can download all the map tiles to your phone before you go so you don’t need a mobile signal to use it.

My mate has a paid copy of RideWithGPS and he’s happy with that.

PMK2060

I was happy enough with the free version of ridewithgps when we used it for our cycle tour in Europe.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Komoot is also very good and worth a look.

CraigW
    Free Member

OsmAnd. Lets you download offline maps for whole countries. Including routing, with an option for cycling.

kcal

possibly look at RouteYou (from a friend who used it in France last year).

nickjb
    Free Member

I quite like maps.me. It’s very detailed and you.can download big chunks for use offline. Marks all the shops and other useful points of interest too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I use omapAnd. Good naps with loads of paths. Different layers and routing options (car, bike, ped) public transport layer. I also added the topology add on for contour lines. Used it all over Europe and in Hong Kong. Unlimited downloads in pay for app. I think cost about £6 with topology add on. It’s the only app I have paid for. Happy to have paid for it.

scruff9252

Not an app, but a website I find the best for cycling is http://www.cycle.travel

Routes same way as Google maps, but instead of taking the route with the fastest traffic (IE Google) it takes the route with the least traffic. Teams to go down cycle ways and back roads.

Once the route is found, it will tell you how many Kms on unsufaced road, minor road & major roads.

I’ve used it for a few cycle tours now – found out about it by the CTC lot…

ton

scruff9252

Not an app, but a website I find the best for cycling is http://www.cycle.travel

cracking website that mate. just planned a tour in Norway for june using it.

I was happy enough with the free version of ridewithgps when we used it for our cycle tour in Europe.

thinking about buying this app, for the point to point route planning option. dont think the free version give you this, does it?

harvey
    Free Member

komoot is brilliant. on the iPhone on aeroplane mode. and free

wheelie

You may find this useful http://www.jordan-maynard.org/2017/01/using-osmand-for-long-distance-cycl
    ing/

Komoot also good.

Chew
    Free Member

I use Komoot for road stuff overseas. No idea about the App,but the desktop version is good as it has certain highlighted sections, which help if you have a few different options available.

I can send you my details so you can have a play around.

They are all a muchness as the algorithms are similar.

RWGPS is also good. Just be aware if you use the cycling option it can default you onto cycle paths, which could also be a good/bad thing.

Strava is also quite useful as well as it will pop you onto popular roads. Again that can be a good/bad thing.

Depends on how you are going to navigate?
    Either plot and use your phone as a gps, or plot on your phone and transfer the file onto another device?
    Some combinations are easier than others.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘App for road touring in europe?’ is closed to new replies.