Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Apologies in advance – Light Bicycle Carbon wheel experiences
  • smogmonster

Im sorry about this all, but im umming and ahhhing about buying a set of the Chinese 29er carbon wheels. Has anyone owned any for any period of time? Where they strong enough?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Strong enough for what?

I have 6 months on the 29er wide rims in 32h self built onto hope hubs. I’m 85kg pretty smooth but ride the rear wheel quite hard.

They built up well and have stayed true since with no spoke key action needed. They’ve been ridden in the peaks, trails centre and whatever with a little bit of wheels in air time. Bar a couple of cosmetic scratches from rock strikes I’ve had no issues, they are noticeably stiffer than the crests they replaced.

Impressed enough to buy another set, gone for the hookless ones this time as an experiment.

bigjim

massive threads on mtbr about these rims.

Northwind

I’ve got one of the old-process rims on the back of my hardrail, it’s done nothing wrong so far- hasn’t been massively tested but it didn’t explode when first mashed off a rock, or anything. So bought a pair of the newer, stronger ones for the big bike.

smogmonster

Cheers, whats the advantage of hookless rims?

Northwind

Stronger apparently- the hookless bead’s simpler so you can lay it up better. No downsides, they reckon.

infidel
    Free Member

Very pleased with mine – 26 wider rim. About to order another pair.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

ordered mine just over 4 weeks ago,were shipped friday,so hope to see them soon.

650b hookless

have built a few wheelsets with them at work,no problems at all

smogmonster

What is the difference in the 12k, 3k and UD weaves?

tonyg2003

As far as I know the weave differences are cosmetic. I’ll let you know my other impressions. LB Wheels turn up on Thursday

DT78
    Free Member

cosmetic.

had my 29 rims since xmas, had limited time on them due to the weather but hammered them round afan last week, on a hardtail so taking some abuse, including mistakenly doing the wall descent on lockout and pinching the front with a rather nasty square edge hit which resulted in a interesting sound. would have probably written off a crest. not a mark. Also pinched the rear on one of the drops on blade and the rim was fine again.

I’m pleased. Next step is to try them tubeless, the bonty strips i bought don’t fit though 🙁

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

For tubeless you’re better off using Gorilla tape and stans valves. goes up 1st time with track pump.

Northwind

smogmonster – Member

What is the difference in the 12k, 3k and UD weaves?

Chavviness.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Infidel any links to the 26″ ones?

davosaurusrex

Read something on one the mtbr threads by the owner of a composites firm who stated that the 3k weave reinforces the spoke holes better than the UD (uni-directional). I also think the weave will hide scuffs better so that was reason enough for me to embrace my inner chav and order matt 3k weave 35mm 29er hookless. Hoping they will ship this week, will post some photos when they’re built so you can all judge how chav they are. Going to be built on silver pro 2s so hoping they look good. Silver or black spokes though? Hmmm….

infidel
    Free Member

Sure.

Here:

http://www.light-bicycle.com/New-26er-33mm-wide-enduro-MTB-all-mountain-downhill-carbon-rim-tubeless-compatible.html#.U1QlB-29Kc2

And here is the thread I posted pics on:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/light-bicycle-carbon-wheels-anyone-feedback-required/page/2

They were built up by Mark at Overspoke bikes in Bewdley. He us an excellent wheel builder and a thoroughly decent guy if you are looking for a builder for yours who has had experience with the light bicycle rims (he has build several sets of them up.)

goodgrief
    Free Member

I have the UD finish, it does scratch fairly easily.
    As far as UD vs 3k for spoke support, their own tests show they were unable to get a max spoke tension figure because the spokes snap before they pull through the rim.

davosaurusrex

Suspected it was unlikely to make any real world difference but I’m a chav looking for bling justification! You do read a lot of comments about the UD getting marked easily though so that’s good enough for me

sq225917
    Free Member

3k, 12k, uni etc is just for the outer finish layer, the actual spoke bed is 3k weave.

pics of 33m 26″

They are decent rims, solid for the money but not visually perfect, IME.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Mine are a much higher standard of finish than the rims in your pics, close to flawless

sq225917
    Free Member

Yeh mine aren’t the best finished rims I’ve ever seen. They are light as hell and tough as boots though, so I’m happy. I can afford to bust three wheels and it would still be cheaper than one Enve rim…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Apologies in advance – Light Bicycle Carbon wheel experiences’ is closed to new replies.