• This topic has 50 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by isto.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Aphex Twin, what do I need to know?
  • theboyneeds
    Free Member

I realise I’ve come very late to this party, but what albums shall I start with?

Ta muchly.

DezB
    Free Member

Rcihard D James, druqs and I Care…

And all the ambient ones

scruff
    Free Member
    uselesshippy
    Free Member

Start with, selected ambient works, then, pretty much the rest.

sirromj

Think my favourites:
    Classics, I Care Because You Do, Selected Ambient Works Volume 2, Come to Daddy EP, Girl/Boy EP.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This, from the Positiva Ambient Collection (complication mix album, other artists, etc)

Spine tingling stuff at volume.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    onandon
    Free Member

On was the first cd I ever purchased. Good taste 🙂

theboyneeds
    Free Member

suburbanreuben – I heard home of that this afternoon which prompted my post! Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart – one of my fave JJ songs. Thanks.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Everything. He’s pretty prolific and has a high “hit” ratio.   Search out his pseudonyms too…  Polygon Window, Caustic Window, AFX, Dice Man, Mescalinum United etc…   The ’90s Warp “Artificial Intelligence ” series are classics. Might as well start at the beginning…  Selected Ambient Works, I care Because You Do etc…   The Analord series is good too.

Worth checking out “uziq” aka Mike Paradinas if you like Aphex twin, and maybe “Venetian Snares” if you’re into that.

Dickyboy

R4 listeners outing themselves?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

My hand slipped on the tuning knob…

sirromj

Worth checking out “uziq” aka Mike Paradinas if you like Aphex twin, and maybe “Venetian Snares” if you’re into that.

And throw a bit of Autechre in there to.

Esme
    Free Member

We’re all on the Archers thread [blush] . . . aren’t we, Flashy?

myti
    Free Member

I heard that programme on radio 4 today. Really interesting and made me search out some of his tunes this avo.

scaled
    Free Member

Considering where we are I’d suggest rushup edge 😁

kelvin

Agreed. Get The Tuss stuff on.

Then Surfing On Sine Waves.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

disco_stu
    Free Member

Start with Selected Ambient works Vol1 and work through the albums. also check out the stuff he dumped on Soundcloud a few years ago – I’m amazed he didn’t release this track when he recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPF7r-Mr3aI

And throw a bit of Autechre in there to.

I’ve tried to get Autechre – their earlier stuff is good but recently they sound like sound engineers having a circle jerk, it’s all very clever but lacking in things I like – melody or a hint of a rhythm.

DezB
    Free Member

We’re all on the Archers thread [blush] . . . aren’t we, Flashy?

Er, no and no.

Actress is worth a go too Hazyville, Splazsh  and the rest if you like em.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Drukqs, Richard D James and Syro to begin with, then analogue and 26 mixes for cash.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

See also ‘Polygon Window’. Same guy using pseudonym for Warp records ‘Artificial Intelligence’ series of albums.

fifo
    Free Member

Windowlicker.

DezB
    Free Member

Windowlicker

Ooh, good call as it’s not on any album!

One of the best videos of all time ever, so let’s go

and of course, more Chris Cunningham genius

KidCragg
    Free Member

All you need to know is….

dunt-Dun-unt-durnant-durn-errrrr

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Warp Records back catalogue on a Spotify playlist….

Dickyboy

Oddly enough I’ve been listening to Autechre for years but never knew who it was by until now. I really ought to pay more attention to such things..

kelvin

Autechre are from Rochdale, and are nothing to do with Richard D James… apart from being key artists on Warp.

Dickyboy

If proof were ever needed about what a music ignoramus I am 😀 almost as bad as when I asked a mate when his band supported skunk anansie, only to be told “when you can to see us ****”

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Try out the Analord release, the CD is a good dip into that series.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92, then just go wild with the rest, I’ve not heard a track that I didn’t like.

I listened to this a few weeks back and this will do you proud: https://cashmereradio.com/episode/sound-portraits-radio-4-aphex-twin-w-doron-sadja/

The lecturer talks about this track being the last IDM track he would ever need to listen to, and I have to say I agree, it’s so complex

oldejeans
    Free Member

@ aphex2k – good find 8)

there’s a lot of good stuff there (and bad!!)

re: disco_stu

I know what you mean, but I think you’re doing Autechre a huge disservice there.  Their stuff over the last decade is more sophisticated, funky, emotive, banging and downright beautiful than anything that anyone else is making, including Richard James imho

Granted, they’re not always an easy listen, it takes a while for tracks to unfurl in your head, and I find tracks growing and waning on me at different rates.  But for me, they are the ultimate in electronic music.  Everyone else is lagging far, far behind.

Their recent (8 hour!!!) album is still available to stream (on loop) over at NTS:

https://www.nts.live/projects/autechre-nts-residency/

A lot of it just doesn’t make sense until you’ve given it 2 or 3 turns.  But there’s a few immediate bangers on it like splesh (on NTS3) and gonk steady one (NTS1).

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Always liked this one:

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Of course, the greatest track I ever made was “On”

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

All mentioned really . He was basically my hero growing up. Dont forget Mike and Rich

RobHilton
    Free Member

On, Polynomial C and Analogue Booblybath are great!

95% of the rest is somewhere between “challenging” and shit.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I downloaded and listened to that radio show on the way to work.  What a load of sycophantic dribble.  The music was right up there with some of Yoko Ono’s output too.

retro83
    Free Member

You think you’re starting to understand his work then this comes along

jwt
    Free Member

Love Heliosphan.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I downloaded and listened to that radio show on the way to work.  What a load of sycophantic dribble.  The music was right up there with some of Yoko Ono’s output too.

Please don’t compare it to this

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Aphex Twin, what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.