Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • APB – stolen bike alert!
  • Yetiman
    Free Member

Eagle eyed STW’ers required. My Nicolai Helius AC was stolen last night from the back of my car. I had to rush home to take our new baby boy back to hospital, and in the rush I left my car unlocked with my bike, and my daughters bike, still in the back. It was stolen near Ellon, Aberdeenshire so can I ask everyone to keep an eye out ta. They left my daughters bike on the drive so they weren’t completely heartless 😕

Details.

Black Nicolai AC 29er
    Black 160mm Pikes with Avalanche cartridge. These are very distinctive having a gold top cap on the right fork leg.
    Avalanche DHX 5.0 air shock with Avalanche sticker
    Easton haven wheels
    XX1 cranks
    Gold hope T-Rex
    Easton Havoc carbon bars and Havoc stem (oversize 35mm ones)
    Reverb post

I’ll post a pic later

Cheers
    Yetiman

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Ouch that really sucks especially considering the circumstances and the build of the bike. When it comes to insurance claim make sure you know where the bike was when stolen to comply with your policy.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve often done the samething as you.

Black Nicolai AC 29er

Will stand out a fair bit- will keep a lookout for it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yetiman
    Free Member

Cheers. I’m absolutely gutted as I normally have the bikes locked in the garage.

iolo
    Free Member

When it comes to an insurance claim remember to tell them the car was locked.

dmorts

When it comes to an insurance claim remember to tell them the car was locked.

Fraud ok when it involves MTBs then?

Getting the bike nicked sucks big time though, I’m sorry it’s happened.

dknwhy

That sucks OP. I hope you get it back. My garage was burgled last year and I lost 2 bikes, it’s such a horrible feeling.

I wouldn’t lie to your insurance company for the sake of a bike. If you’re found to submit a fraudulent claim, it’s not just a case of that they won’t pay out – if they’re feeling vindictive, you’ll go on a fraud database which could open up a whole world of financial implications.
    Be honest and give them the crime number from the police – they may pay out anyway.

hairyscary

I’m in Westhill so I’ll keep my eye out.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Bumpity bump.

Another two properties were targeted last night, as well as ours, so it looks like it was opportunistic scrotes who just got lucky with my bike due to the circumstances. It’s a pretty rare bike in the North East of Scotland so I’ll keep an eye on all the usual online small ads, eBay etc and hope to hell I get lucky.

deejayen
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.

It might be worth going to the findthatbike website – you give it a search word eg “Nicolai” and it searches eBay etc every day and emails you a list of newly listed bikes which match.

I had an extremely unusual bike stolen last year, but apparently that makes it less saleable. Hopefully your one will turn up.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware of the findthatbike site, thanks for that. Searches now saved.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yay! I got my bike back 😀

A chap in Aberdeen tried selling it to a bike shop, and thankfully the owner had spotted my stolen ad and knew straight away that it was my bike. He managed to get a contact name and address, that I then passed on to the police, and two plain clothed officers retrieved the bike last night. I am so chuffed, and I think it helped that the bike was so recognisable.

I went for a celebratory ride this morning before work….it was ace 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

😀

Cyclists 1, Scrotes 0. Happy days.

tmb467
    Free Member

brilliant news!

endurogangster
    Free Member

Nice one, hopefully someone gives the scrote some shoe at some point! That’ll learn him!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Excellent news.

Well done that bike shop and hopefully a nicked scrote.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Awesomesauce Yetiman!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Brilliant news! Don’t suppose you’re interested in getting the address from the guy in the shop? May want to pay the scrote a wee visit

bruneep

Excellent news Paul.

Yetiman
    Free Member

eat_more_cheese

I have the chaps name, address, and Facebook page, and I was present when the bike was retrieved. He isn’t the thief, but he is helping the police with their inquiries so I’m not going to do anything….. for now.

kcal

fab news Yetiman. warm glow that !!

Edit: and kudos and more besides to the bike shop — they may not welcome the publicity but hope you take them a cake or some beer?!

granarycycles
    Free Member

Great news.
    I am sure the shop would appreciate some beer 😉

bearnecessities

Ace, great news!

franksinatra

on the insurance thing, I am pretty sure that household will not cover your bike if stolen from inside a car as this comes under motor policy, and most motor policies will only cover contents up to £150 or so which is useless for a bike. No longer a problem for you but worth bearing in mind.

Happy to be corrected if I am talking rubbish.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Yet another good solid reason to support your LBS. I love hearing stories that end well. Congrats.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure about posting details, but as the bike shop has just posted above I might as well. A big thumbs up to Jack at Granary Cycles for recognizing my bike and sending me all the info that led to the recovery of my bike, and the detention of the chap trying to sell it.

As I mentioned earlier Jack some beer tokens will be on their way shortly. Thanks again. I’ve said this before, but what a great community we’re part of.

granarycycles
    Free Member

No problem.
    Not sure if you received my email from earlier.

We are not looking for a reward but if you do want to send anything it will be used wisely. We are opening a second shop in Spain (Currently here), we are looking to sponsor a few local riders (different ages and levels of experience) any reward given will be put towards some jerseys, bits of kit etc to help out. How ever like I mentioned on the last email, don’t feel like you have to.

Over the moon you have it back. Good start to the Easter holidays!

And yes Yetiman, the biking community is great. We must have got about 10-15 bikes back to the owners in the last year, this probably wont be the last.

RustyMac

Good news on the recovery of the bike, it is also reassuring as a local to see that the Aberdeen police take this kind of thing seriously enough to act swiftly.

JoeG
    Free Member

We must have got about 10-15 bikes back to the owners in the last year

😯 Wow! 😀

granarycycles
    Free Member

Helped a couple more members on here in the past. Cant remember the names but the last one was a Spesh Enduro which was also stolen from the blokes car.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘APB – stolen bike alert!’ is closed to new replies.