Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Apartment rent issue
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Hi,

I moved in to rented apartment,the day I went in filled out the standing order form, that then would be sent from the agent to the client for her to fill in her details and send to my bank to start the regular payment.

She forgot to send the form off, so she of course hasn’t been paid the first months rent from my account.

I don’t check my balance that often and just assumed it has come out . . .

Of course now the next payment is rapidly approaching, so I have transferred the missed payment, but then still have to find the next payment before payday, next payment due on 16th.

I have asked if to help me out, that I can start paying on the 27th payday, instead of the 16th. . . therefore meaning I would be arrears in the rent by about two weeks…

So essentially now they are asking for two weeks money on top over the agreement, so I can pay later this and every month for the next 4 months of the initial agreement.

Of course this means they are getting an extra £250 out of me over the term, for little or no hassle to themselves . . .

I’m tempted to try and live like a hermit and eat lettuce for the next 4 weeks just so I can pay them on the 16th so I don’t have to pay this extra £250, . . . for essentially a mistake she made!!

Thoughts?

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm, I do sympathise, as a landlord, I always try to help because I know how tough things are, butI also do not like my tenants to go into arrears. So you can see their point, but it would be nice if they could see your point.

I think this is why they want the extra 250, I don’t think they want extra money, they just need you to pay each month in advance, so if you pay 2 weeks later then you still owe the 2 weeks right? If you really cannot afford it offer to pay the 250 on top of your rent over the next 2-3 months? As a landlord, I would be very happy with this.

hels
    Free Member

“I don’t check my balance that often” well there is your problem.

They are not asking for extra £250, just what was agreed. Yes, their mistake in the first place, but your mistake in spending the money, I would call that 50/50 on fault.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

yes that is what is due to happen . . .

It’s just a bitter pill, to have to swallow that wasn’t caused by me . .

I also managed to break the shower screen second day, completely smashed into pieces, all i did was move it out slightly then move it back against the top of the bath, whole thing disintegrated and I ended up with 6 stitches in my hand . .

There take on this is I need to replace it , and re-enamle the bath . . . “it’s never happended before is their line, . .i said there is a first time for everything, . .so i have this hanging over me too . . .and might explain the stance . . . they may go halves with me on it, . . . yet to be decided, he is coming arounnd tomorrow night . . .

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

“I don’t check my balance that often” well there is your problem.

They are not asking for extra £250, just what was agreed. Yes, their mistake in the first place, but your mistake in spending the money, I would call that 50/50 on fault.

you have a point.

hels
    Free Member

I hardly think you need to pay for the shower screen – letting agent by any chance ?? Threaten to sue them for damages for providing an unsafe bathroom or something, that’s well off. Fittings should be fit for purpose for normal day to day usage. Unless you were filming a Psycho tribute for your film studies elective in there tell them to spin on that one !

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I hardly think you need to pay for the shower screen – letting agent by any chance ?? Threaten to sue them for damages for providing an unsafe bathroom or something, that’s well off. Fittings should be fit for purpose for normal day to day usage. Unless you were filming a Psycho tribute for your film studies elective in there tell them to spin on that one !

Cheers

It was the first shower i was going to take in there, . . .I just pulled it towards me about 6 inches to test the taps and to get the temp correct, then moved it very gently back . . . whole thing came off from fixings, there are about 5 small screws holding it into place with plastic wedges the other side that supposedly should hold it, . . . the shower screen was a big fella . . . . heavy too . .

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised that through constant use, these screws had just become loose over time and hadn’t been checked,, . . . i was just the unlucky sap . . .

dooosuk
    Free Member

Those glass shower screens are only meant to swing into the bath aren’t they, not away from the bath e.g. so that the water drains into the bath not on the floor.

Sounds like you pulled it in the wrong direction and it shattered.

That’s user error to me and not the fault of the landlord. I’d be expecting to cough up for that if it was me.

Also, as pointed out above…it’s was yours responsibility to check your balance too. If you’re that skint that you can’t afford £250 I’d say you need to check your balance and watch what you’re spending regularly.

toys19
    Free Member

Well I’ve been on the recieving end of these claims, and have found it very hard to prove that my tenant was at fault. Talk to the tenancy deposit protection scheme the agent is using to protect your dep. I would fight it, do not admit liability (if you are sure it just broke), but be aware that the agent /LL may well decide to give you to notice to quit at 6 months..

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Those glass shower screens are only meant to swing into the bath aren’t they, not away from the bath e.g. so that the water drains into the bath not on the floor.

Sounds like you pulled it in the wrong direction and it shattered.

I had one at the last place and it could move either way . . . i was very gentle with it, because i was new to it, it didn’t seem to fight against me gently pulling it that way . . . i didn’t in anyway shape or form feel that I was doing anything in correctly, . even though I may have been?

They are hinged, so surely they can move that way a little if not only just for safety purposes.

The whole thing fell out, if the glass just shattered I could understand it, the whole thing just came off, i was bent over and just moving back straight, it all happened so quickly, the exact way it shattered are beyond me . .

toys19
    Free Member

Tbh you have them on the back foot anyway. Take loads of pics and deny everything. They have to get the money off you, so until you are legally compelled to pay, don’t.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Apartment rent issue’ is closed to new replies.