Apaches over Notts

Home Forum Chat Forum Apaches over Notts

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Apaches over Notts
  • wysiwyg

Not appeared on any trackers, low, heading towards Sheff..

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

It was a bit unnerving a few minutes ago when a chinook started hovering low over Vauxhall, normally they just fly through the area. Fortunately no one started fast roping out of it and it went after a bit.

Vauxhall

Picking up spooks for a spot of uppity arab hunting in Syria?

andy8442

Driving up the A1 and A19 (North Yorks) you often see Apaches. A few times I’ve noticed the are flying perfectly along side you but a few hundred meters away. A bit of target practice?

hodgynd

Two a penny in this part of Northumberland ..but then we are close to Otterburn Camp & Range ..similarly Andy 8442 you wouldn’t be too far away from Catterick Camp & RAF Leeming ..

Murray

Rules of the air say that aircraft following a road should keep it on the left

68. Right-Hand Traffic Rule. The handling pilot of an aircraft which is flying within
    the UK in sight of the ground and following a road, railway, canal or coastline, or any
    other landmarks, is recommended to keep such a line of landmarks on his left, except
    where promulgated locally or when acting upon instructions given by the appropriate
    ATC unit.

yiman

I see them now and again near me as they come in and out of Chilwell Barracks sometimes.

CountZero

Not appeared on any trackers, low, heading towards Sheff…

They won’t, they’re military aircraft which never show up on tracking apps, for what should be fairly obvious reasons. Used to get all sorts of assorted military hardware flying around Chippenham, but it’s dropped off a lot now that RAF Lyneham has closed, but with Salisbury Plain not far away, and Brize also not a huge distance away,there are still Apache and Chinook stooging around, and C-130, C-17 and A400’s as well.

Premier Icon plumslikerocks
    Subscriber

Apaches used to be based in Dishforth, N Yorks. Now Middle Wallop.

RAF Leeming issued a local flier pre-warning of round the clock helicopter activity in support of exercises this week and next. It’ll be that.

Haze

Saw two on my way home from work tonight, over Dudley though and heading west.

Seen a few over the summer stopping off at Halfpenny Green (Bobbington) airfield.

As plums mentions, NOTAMS are where to look for activity.

Lots of Apache action over us, not too far from Middle Wallop, as well as much WokkaWokka angry palm tree action. Sometimes REALLY low! Which is ace.

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

Apaches used to be based in Dishforth, N Yorks. Now Middle Wallop.

RAF Leeming issued a local flier pre-warning of round the clock helicopter activity in support of exercises this week and next. It’ll be that.

Apaches have always been at Middle Wallop. The operational cabs moved with their squadrons from Dishforth to Wattisham, circa 2006/2007.

hodgynd

There seems to be quite a bit of helicopter activity up and down the country at the moment then ..

Two Chinooks were  flying low down the North Tyne Valley towards Bellingham two days ago ..reminded me of an encounter I had a couple of years ago this month with an Apache in a very remote area of the forest close to Stonehaugh .

I’m sure this guy was tugging my chain as he passed over more than once ..maybe ” targeting” me..I was on a solo ride at the time .

I started to wonder if he was a roadie when not flying 😁…

Coming in for the kill! by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

sharkbait

A year or so ago we were walking down the beach at Abersoch (off-season so pretty quiet) and I could hear an odd helicopter sound – up popped an Apache over the golf course right behind the sand dunes!

Never found out what it was doing there.

hodgynd

Maybe the pilot got caught short !

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Never found out what it was doing there.

Hiding.

Premier Icon smogmonster
    Subscriber

I used to live near Catterick Garrison, but out amongst the fields and hills. The Apaches and Chinooks would practice their formation flying and rapid landings/take offs all the time. The noise was thunderous and the skills on show never got old – i loved watching them. Thankfully my (many) helicopter trips to oil rigs have never been anywhere near so exciting….

CountZero

Driving back over the Severn from Newport this afternoon there were a couple of Apaches flying over into Wales, maybe they’re on standby in case of insurrection! 😉

Premier Icon Ashy
    Subscriber

You can track military flights. https://www.adsbexchange.com

Subscriber

Ashy – that website is AMAZING! See the same kind of thing for civil flights before, but not military!

Just popped my head out of the back door to listen to a couple of C130s on their way back from the Lakes loop.

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

Ashy – that website is AMAZING! See the same kind of thing for civil flights before, but not military!

Just popped my head out of the back door to listen to a couple of C130s on their way back from the Lakes loop.

Flying that route, over Windermere. That was the one I enjoyed the most.

piesoup

Moose, were you a Door Slider?

Premier Icon Ashy
    Subscriber

Haha, it’s really geeky but quite addictive. We get the American Ospreys over York all the time. Fascinating to see where they’ve been

Used to see the tornado’s doing bombing runs down Windameer whilst Sailing, flying down the lake VERY low before pulling up and putting the afterburners on over the unfortunate island/ferry/steamer!

Also saw a Chinook do a quick landing in park in Brixton, apparently they do a lot of them as practice for casualty evacuation to St Georges in case of a terrorist attack

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Also saw a Chinook do a quick landing in park in Brixton, apparently they do a lot of them as practice for casualty evacuation to St Georges in case of a terrorist attac

That’s interesting last year we kept seeing  two largish helicopters moving in tandem towards St George’s and the RMR barracks nearby then one descends out of sight from my house. Shortly afterwards they both fly off in the original direction, thought it was a bit odd to have one flying top cover inland so maybe its military exercises

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

@pieshop

I was indeed.

Subscriber

Pfft…bit quiet tonight. USAF passing over a bit in C17s, but looks looks like the cool stuff gets off early on a Friday.

Air ambulances and police choppers always out and about somewhere though!

piesoup

@moose

Nice! I was at Wattisham from ’03 to ’13, MK7 then AH.

But too busy collecting Kellogg’s tokens to be flying around!

Wonder if these, parts and support, and the planes for the carriers will be used as bargaining chips in the coming trade deal with Trumpy?

Another foot in the door of the stealth privatisation of the NHS, not just the US tramps and prisoners blood bit. Good thing the screening is better than when they cocked it up in 90’s, still only a handful of people died! Oh and all their dodgy foods and competing pharma suppliers, oh and the intelligence sharing arrangements, where we share everything and they share what they deem to be acceptable at their discretion!

Lets call it Trump (chump) change.

gobuchul

Are they looking for Tom Donaldson and his Triumph Stag?

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

@moose

Nice! I was at Wattisham from ’03 to ’13, MK7 then AH.

But too busy collecting Kellogg’s tokens to be flying around!

@piesoup

I was there from ’03 to ’06 on the ground, then went rearcrew, Herrick ’07 then up to XD after that, stayed there until it closed. Now at MW. Stopped flying 2012.

nickhit3

Are they looking for Tom Donaldson and his Triumph Stag?

Lovely Stuff..

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.