• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • AOSTA riding
  • Sui
    Free Member

Im going to stop hijacking peoples threads and create my own

i.e. this one https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ideas-for-an-alps-summer-resort-like-but-not-morzine/page/2/#post-12282705

and start my own i would have opened up the following but it’s been closed,

Aosta valley

So, having ridden France a few times, lots of resorts link up, so you can based youself in one and ride to many others – Can you do this in Aosta, La THuiel, Cervinia, Monterosa??

Just for background – i’ve managed to wangle a week away on the bike on my own, last week of June. I original had 2-3 mates tagging along – it;s now grown to 7 people. It was going to be PDS area (Chatel), but that’s been done to death by a number of the group.

I rode Pila about 3 years ago – i had 2 days, i liked it, but was guided – i may get away with 1 day guiding, rest will be maps etc.. The lift pass covers all the areas above, but can you link any of them together on bike instead of driving everywhere, im and sure the group are not keen on that..

am guessing if @spin is around he’ll know

Spin
    Free Member

Think you might have me mixed up with someone else? I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Aosta but ski touring and running, not riding.

Sorry!

Sui
    Free Member

thanks Spin you cropped up on the last Aost thread 3 years ago, but didnt realise it was running.. that said, even with Skiing, can the resorts be llinked without car/bus/van?

thabks
    Sui

Spin
    Free Member

Most of the Aosta resorts don’t link very well as they are dotted about at different points in the valley. Not sure about riding but on ski Cervinia links with Zermatt, La Thuile links with La Rosiere. Gressonney links with Champoluc and Alagna (Monterosa)

La THuiel, Cervinia, Monterosa?

These are miles apart and LT is on the opposite side of the valley so no.

HTH!

the00
    Free Member

I’ve had a great few single day visit to Pila…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVcWA2OD88I/?utm_medium=copy_link

Seems like there would be a few days of riding to explore from the area. It’s some distance from other areas though, across different valleys, so I doubt that you can link them together using the lifts.

There are firms that offer minibus and trailer shuttle uplifts though. I’ve never used any. I’ve heard rumors that there is one that is somewhat difficult or unfriendly, but unhelpfully I don’t know the name.

chrismac

You definitely cant ride between Cervinia and Zermatt. It’s a summer ski glacier and the connecting lifts don’t open. We looked at it and decided to stay the Zermat side.

Another option is to ride Verbier from the Aosta valley. Its about 1.5hrs via the St Bernard pass. If you have a willing driver there is a very obvious trail from the top down to the valley on the Swiss side

Tracey

We are spending a few days in Aosta this summer on our way back from Garda, then over the pass to Verbier and on to Samoens. The trails down from the top of the pass are awsome finishing in Etiez. The areas you have suggested are quite some distance apart to link together with trails. There are some good trails on the opposite side to Pila, hard to find and link together without a guide. You would be better shuttling between them, that’s what we do

chakaping
    Free Member

As above, Aosta would make a great base for riding Pila and taking day trips to La Thuile, Verbier etc.

The road up to La Thuile appears to be closed ATM though, not sure if that’s a temporary thing.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Your going round in circles lad aren’t you!
    have been speaking to Ian today. can point you all round Aosta for riding but the resorts dont link up.

Sui
    Free Member

Cheers all (nick, I’ve had a chat with Ian, just trying to get as much info I, appreciate all the effort though) trying to organise this so everyone is happy is bloomin hard work..

tuboflard

Can’t really help on the linkability question but can confirm that the riding in La Thuile is excellent. Lift serviced enduro riding of the highest quality. And the pizza and coffee are very good indeed too.

steveh

Definitely need a vehicle to get between them. Cervinia is a long drive up a bit mountain to get to the base (2300m ish from mmeory) and the trails are ok but mostly above tree line exposed rock fests. It was a nice to go for a day for scenery etc but I won’t be going back for a while.

Matt_SS_xc

I could definitely ride the trail under the gondola from Pila down to Aosta constantly for 2 days.
    Distant memories of dusty fun…looking forward to being back there this summer

Tracey

There is another trail further up the valley from Pila down to Aosta that’s just as much fun

Spin
    Free Member

Riding aside, the Aosta area is just stunning. The main valley is a bit industrial in parts but it’s well worth heading up some of the dead end valleys to the south of the main valley such as Valsavaranche. Can’t speak for the riding but the scenery is amazing.

Spin
    Free Member

20689759-10155680450699198-2255118637446384893-o

20690019-10155680448224198-1640085575104222829-o

20690066-10155680450079198-4556197673780403319-o

20689883-10155680445094198-5452956905250159766-o

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘AOSTA riding’ is closed to new replies.