Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anywhere I can buy individual 9 speed sprockets?
  • danti

Been running a 1×9 setup on my commuter for some years now and always seem to wear out the 7th and 8th gear sprockets (13 and 15 tooth I think?).
    Its a flat-ish commute and other sprockets don’t get used.

Was wondering if there was anywhere I can (economically) buy individual 9 speed Shimano compatible sprockets?
    Rather than buying a new cassette at £40 ish (they’ve shot up in £ recently!)

Cheers

Dibbs
    Free Member

Why not try a bigger front chainring and make more use of the larger sprockets on the cassette.

danti

Already using biggest 38t chainring on middle position of spider, can’t go bigger on middle position due to catching chainstay.
    If I go to bigger chainring it has to be outer and then chainline gets more extreme!

thomthumb
    Free Member

ebay or the classsifieds, i’d bet that most peoples second hand cassettes wont be workn out at the top. also be cheap.

GW
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member
    Why not try a bigger front chainring and make more use of the larger sprockets on the cassette.

– the smaller sprockets will always wear faster (with the same use) – it’s pretty pointless having larger than a 38T ring on any 26″ wheeled off road bike IMO but a larger ring will fit in the middle position just fine, it’s your f/mech performance that will suffer.

There’s plenty places that sell individual sprockets, Google or try your LBS

Mister-P
    Free Member

Any LBS can get hold of them and they are not that expensive. Just sticking 15T into the search box on ultimatepursuits brings up this lot

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Madison can get them I think. You will have to order them from your LBS though. Also there are a few online do a google search for the one you want. I did and founf a few places that did a 13t I needed a few months a go.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I find my larger sprockets to wear out faster!

danti

Cheers Mister P & Seth

Dibbs – tried fitting a 42t outer chainring in middle position but just catches chainstay, maybe a 40t might just fit but can’t find them.

Thanks for help

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was thinking exactly this on the ride home yesterday – about to replace again the cassette on my commuter, only the smallest 3 sprockets ever wear out though. good thinking about ordering those from madison through LBS, will have to get on that action. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like an ideal singlespeed candidate

theflatboy
    Free Member

you can get ’em from SJS Cycles – set of the smallest three comes in at £15.97 (smallest four is £17.96). Class.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anywhere I can buy individual 9 speed sprockets?’ is closed to new replies.