Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anywhere else good to cycle in north Wales (non TC)
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

After an utterly awesome weekend at Ullswater last weekend I need some more amazing rocky singletrack. Weather forecast seems (suspiciously) good in Wales compared to Peak so….

What’s good ( and non cheeky) apart from Snowdon and that bloody hill south of Dolgellau which I always forget the name of?

PS. Not the Clwyds. Did that earlier this year and was underwhelmed.

mrchrist

1. North wales path from Conwy to Bangor, get the train back or do as a loop.

2. Gwydr forest – marin, crafnant, cowlyd & off piste

3. Moel siabod is good fun

4. Coed y brenin with some off piste

5. If you want some truly epic riding and to completely punish yourself then the Rhionogs are superb

Maybe a bit of cheek in route 5 but you won’t see anybody all day and if you do they won’t care.

Actually 3 is cheeky too but has some nice rocky descening.

Come to think about it 1 probably has a bit of cheek too but see comment on route 5 above.

(It will all be legal soon anyway)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Here’s a nice route in the Berwyns that includes the classic Wayfarer trail.

carlos
    Free Member

Not much amazing rocky singletrack on the Conwy loop we do, but its a bloody good ride. We head out of Conwy, over towards Rowen then back via The Roman Road, Up and down The Drum (real fun fast track descent then onto grass that’s about 5.5km all in), descend towards Nant-y-felin, then pick up The North Wales Path cutting back across the earlier track and onto Sychnant pass and finish on the North Wales Path off The Conwy Mountain.

that bloody hill south of Dolgellau which I always forget the name of?

Cadair idris

Carlos

Marin
    Free Member

What Carlos says.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Is Carlos route compatible with the MBLA policy on footpaths?

qtip

Is Carlos route compatible with the MBLA policy on footpaths?

Posted 3 hours ago

All totally legit guvnor.

carlos
    Free Member

Is Carlos route compatible with the MBLA policy on footpaths

What’s the policy?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

To quote the chap from cyclewise (not actually cyclewise guvnor)

Long dashed lines on the map are for lovely days out on your bike.
    The short dashed lines are for nightrides.

fossy

Really enjoyed Gwydir last month. Cracking views. Loads of climbing, but so what. Dragons back was great fun. Very varied terrain.

carlos
    Free Member

Conwy Classic on plotaroute.com https://www.plotaroute.com/route/828607?units=km

Hopefully the above link will work for you and you can decide if it contravenes the MBLA policy.

Hardy ever meet anyone on the loop and those that we have met have always been chatty and very pleasant. Never had any issues with anyone anywhere

Carlos

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Berwyns. But I didn’t tell you right. 😉

carlos
    Free Member

@thegeneralist – So where’d you get too, find anything nice??

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So where’d you get too, find anything nice??

Erm, sort of. <\embarrassed shuffle>

I bottled it and went to the lakes. ☺
    Did the staveley 3 passes route with a couple of extra squiggles thrown in. On the plus side it was mindblowingly brilliant, on the down side I’m still no nearer to finding something similar in Wales. I will have a look at the suggestions above though.

The Nan Bield descent, especially the switchbacks at the top was utterly amazing. Sooooo good. 46km all in, but only 1560m height according to Strava, which was a surprise given that some sites had vanilla 3 passes at 5000+ft or even 8000+ feet in some cases.

carlos
    Free Member

🙄🙄There’s always next time.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So…. thinking of this Conwy route for tomorrow with the missus. 5400ft looks like a proper day out though. Looks like a liotta climbing.

Hmmmmmmm

mrchrist

It’s all very ridable though and you can fly along most of it. Climb out of conwy, around to sychnant pass, Drum, the Roman road are fast so you will eat up the miles and vert.

If it is wet then the grassy bits will be a bit of a slog obvs.

There is a nice bit of cheeky trail that is not shown on that map down the zig zags to aber falls which is a nice addition if you want something extra:)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anywhere else good to cycle in north Wales (non TC)’ is closed to new replies.