Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anytime own a Steam Deck? 🎮
  • Poopscoop

Not been into gaming for some years now and happened upon the Stream Deck. A handheld PC. Sort of.

What a great bit of kit and given the tech involved a pretty “reasonable” price.

I doubt I’ll be getting one (I’m just not sure I have the patience for gaming these days) but just wondered if anyone on here has one and any thoughts on it?

julians
    Free Member

Yep got one, it’s really good.

Poopscoop

I love how easy they are to upgrade. The SSD, the controls, even the screen to the anti glare version.

sboardman

Yes! Love mine. Made a couple of long train journeys more enjoyable. Got a dock too and it’s replaced my old xbox due to an extensive steam backlog.

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’s an impressive gadget. Taking a while to get used to and requires a bit of tinkering to make things work unless you stick to verified games.

fossy

Don’t tell my daughter. Just got scammed for a Switch on Vinted, but Vinted refunded her within the hour – ordered a used Switch, got a dog collar…

My son suggested this as she is a PC gamer too. Better check prices… New Switch £300

Poopscoop

wordnumb
    Free Member
    It’s an impressive gadget. Taking a while to get used to and requires a bit of tinkering to make things work unless you stick to verified games.

Sadly that’s all a positive for me, I’d enjoy the tinkering as much as the games!😃

The screen is relatively low res, does that annoy when gaming? Is pixelation very obvious?

Poopscoop

@fossy

Don’t tell my daughter. Just got scammed for a Switch on Vinted, but Vinted refunded her within the hour – ordered a used Switch, got a dog collar…

My son suggested this as she is a PC gamer too. Better check prices… New Switch £300

Glad she for her money back!

A brand new 64GB (upgradable of course if you don’t mind opening a free screws etc and no doubt invalidating the warranty) is “only” £349.

If she is already a PC gamer…

sobriety
    Free Member

I have one, bought as we’ve a baby due shortly, and there’s no way I’m getting to my big PC in the basment when that happens!

The screen resolution hasn’t been an issue for me, as it’s small enough that there’s still a decent pixel density despite the lower resolution.

Russell96

Ordered one on Tuesday, got the on its way email yesterday.

Flaperon

I have one. Really enjoy it and catching up on games that I used to love but had forgotten. Loads of stuff on the Steam store for less than £1 at the moment too, and Epic gives away AAA games pretty often.

Amazon has a good deal on 512GB cards right now (you don’t need ultra fast ones), and CeX randomly have SSDs cheap. Don’t forget that you can only stick games on the SD card and you’ll still need 5-10GB per game on the internal SSD for other junk.

Can recommend Stray, which is easily the best game I’ve played this year.

jimdubleyou

Yup – I have one, mostly used for “slow” gaming – been playing things like Mud Runner and Powerwash Simulator.

Was particularly impressed with Stray on there too – really engaging game and works well with the deck.

wordnumb
    Free Member

The screen is relatively low res, does that annoy when gaming? Is pixelation very obvious?

The screen is fine, but I’m not finickety about such things and tend to lower settings to conserve battery. The thing that’s throwing me is that I’m not used to twin stick controllers, FPSs seem particularly challenging. Valve released a decent game to familiarise users with the Deck, but it doesn’t seem to allow you to just practice shooting/moving for any length of time. I have a DIY hub/dock set up – but that still requires some monkeying to get mouse to work. For example, some older games will only work with a mouse if running the game through desktop mode. I know not why.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.