Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anything wrong with Avon tyres?
  • ratherbeintobago

Need some winter tyres for the family barge my car.

Avon WV7s seem to be ‘competitively priced’. Is there anything wrong with these before I push the button? We’ve had them before (but several years ago) and I remember them being on my dad’s Rover 820…

Speshpaul

No, I have always rated them, I’ve had them on pretty much every car I’ve had. Some of their range are still make in the UK as well.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had zv5’s on my scoob, always good till they go unannounced 😂.

Would recommend them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

They make great performance tyres that work really well on specific sports cars.

Not sure how anyone could comment on how good their winter tyres are unless ley have used them.

What do general reviews of them say ?

ratherbeintobago

The general reviews seem to be OK, and as I say, I’ve had their winter tyres before (albeit about 6 years ago).

Oddly, the efficiency/grip ratings seem to be much the same as more expensive tyres…

grtdkad

I like (and use) Avon’s performance range. Should be fine.

submarined
    Free Member

My only experience is with zz3s on a relatively powerful rear wheel drive car . They were awful. Terrifying in the wet.

threerock44
    Free Member

Used Avon Ice Tourer all weather tyre on the old Picasso. Went up some very steep and snowy gradients, but still good for the rest of the year.

ratherbeintobago

Being lazy (and also because I was perpetually on the brink of selling it and needed to replace two of the summer tyres) I’d left the winter tyres (?Bridgestones) on the old car for 18/12, including a run across France at Easter.

Apart from being a bit rumbly it was fine…

phil5556

I put Avon WV7s on my Octavia at the end of last winter. They were excellent for the 1000 miles I drove on them, after all the snow had gone.

They were supposed to be ready for this winter, but the car died so I’ll never know.

Mat

I’ve had a few sets of ice tourings on my previous mondeo. Couldn’t complain, although I’m not a driving god pushing the envelope of handling! Run conti winter contacts on our cars now because they seem to come out tops on various auto mag tests and they don’t cost that much more. Incremental benefit is probably bollocks though! Have always ran winters year round, live in NE Scotland so at least half the year is in the performance window for them. Also used vredstien wintracs and been happy with them.

oldtennisshoes

I had the Avon WV7s on my BMW last winter and they were so good that I’ve just ordered a set for my new motor.

Harry_the_Spider

Some of their range are still make in the UK as well.

Not for much longer. They are part of the Cooper group and production is moving to Serbia.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anything wrong with Avon tyres?’ is closed to new replies.