Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anything better value than Ultegra 6700/6800 wheelset?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

They can be picked up for 250 quid or thereabouts, weight is pretty decent at circa 1600g, quality hubs, tubeless. The only fly in the ointment is they’re not ‘wide’.

Every custom build I look into comes out more expensive and heavier.

Any thoughts?

jkomo

Gotta be the Easterns at CRC

bikeneil
    Free Member

Every custom build I look into comes out more expensive

Of course it will!

tinribz
    Free Member

What about superstar, they have under 1500 for under 200.

manton69

I have a set and think they are excellent. I have run them tubeless for the last 3-4 years and only had to true them a couple of times. Even then it was because they had been used cross country and given a battering. Tightened up fine and we are off again. Not a bling as some others, but just work.

sputnik
    Free Member

Owner here an very pleased with them.
    Best VFM out there.
    If you can find Campy Zondas on special then they are worth a look.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Gotta be the Easterns at CRC

if you want unreliable hubs with lousy bearings. A couple we know had them on their sunday best pride-and-joys, his constantly needed adjustment (why do cartidge bearings need a preload collar?!), hers collapsed. Twice. Consistent with all the much-reported problems with the MTB hubs (Havens/Havocs).

I have some 6700s and cant fault them, but if I was buying again I’d be tempted to try some chinese carbon.

mikey74
    Free Member

Got a link to the Chinese carbon ones?

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some Ultegra on Open Pro rims from Rose bikes for £200. Sick of the factory built low spoke wheels, they just aren’t durable. Proper wheels ahoy!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Got a link to the Chinese carbon ones?

the most popular company (from here, MTBR, bikeradar etc forums) seems to be

http://www.light-bicycle.com/

or search alibaba/aliexpress and choose from hundreds of permutations.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anything better value than Ultegra 6700/6800 wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.