• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anything better value than Kaffenback?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

I’m struggling ATM when it comes to drop bar commuters with discs.

Any ideas?

wiggles
    Free Member

Why has everyone started using “better value” in place of “cheaper?

Just say what you mean, Id say lots of things are better value than an OO frame because they will probably have have a seatube the right size and a warranty worth something…

ds3000
    Free Member

If I wanted cheaper I’d go to Halfords or bikes direct. The kaffenback is a decent quality frame with various setup options available, not difficult to understand really , is it?

midlifecrashes

Well I think I’d rather have a Raleigh Mustang or Maverick at the minute, or a Giant AnyRoad, or a Diverge, a CdF, Bianchi or a Genesis Euilibrium.

superstu
    Free Member

Value and cost are two completely different things, as the OP clearly states.

scruff9252

I have a pompetamine which, I understand is the single speed precursor to the kaff ( although I’m running it geared)

The ride is fairly dull ride compared to my carbon road bike and decidedly pedestrian compared to my TT bike.

However it’s exceptionally comfy to ride all day – did a 10 day tour with no rest day last year. I wouldn’t consider that on any of my other bikes. I have mine fitted with full mudguards, bomb proof wheels & dynamo hub powered lights and is totally reliable.

I was looking at replacing the frameset tail end of last year but just got the bike powder coated instead. I expect I’ll have the bike for a long time as an old faithful.

wiggles
    Free Member

f I wanted cheaper I’d go to Halfords or bikes direct. The kaffenback is a decent quality frame with various setup options available, not difficult to understand really , is it?

What do you want then? If you like the PX and dont want anything cheaper why dont you buy it?

PX is cheap but I would say a specialized, giant etc for a few hundred quid more was better value IMO because of the aftersales and resale value etc.

Value and cost are two completely different things, as the OP clearly states.

So what is he asking for then? not just talking about this thread but there have been others where people asked for “better value” versions of things and people just listed cheaper parts rather than saying if they are any good or not…

iamtheresurrection

Honestly, it’s the only frame I’ve ever found uncomfortable: it just felt completely dead. The same components on a Roadrat couldn’t have felt more different, and I don’t think that’s due to a better grade or construction…

superstu
    Free Member

PX is cheap but I would say a specialized, giant etc for a few hundred quid more was better value IMO because of the aftersales and resale value etc.

This is the response I’m guessing the OP wants, an opinion on whether there ar better value options out there.

What about a GT grade or an arkose?

ds3000
    Free Member

Wiggles, thank you for answering my question.

cookeaa

You thinking frameset or full build OP?

For frames maybe a plug 5 But by the time you buy a fork it’s probably about on par price wise with the kaffenback frameset…

Any real cost savings will come from how you build the thing up and what sort of weight/function/price trade offs you can live with…

Assemble a 1×7/8/9/10 drivetrain or buy a full group?
    Use an old pair of cranks from the spares bin perhaps?
    Cable or hydraulic brakes?
    Barend or “brifters” for shifting?
    Cheapest finishing kit you can find or a bit of bling?
    Basic £100 wheelset or spend a bit more?
    You might have some parts/sniff out some bargains but it’s hard to do a bargain build and really keep the spend down IME.

PX only do a Rival 22 build with BB7s for the kaffenback right now and they want £900 for that. You can probably do better…

Compare it with an Arkose 3 (£1200, 5800 hydro group), Arkose 2 (£1k, 4700 hydro), or Arkose X (£900, hylex and 1×10 Deore) all with aluminium frames and Carbon forks, on balance those are better VFM in terms of spec and weight Vs price and service backup…
    All IMO of course…

wiggles
    Free Member

Wiggles, thank you for answering my question.

I didnt mean to come across as having a go at you, just wondered if people knew the difference between value and cost…

But in personal expiernce some companies are worth avoiding even if it means a bit more upfront cost to go elsewhere, as you will more than save the original extra you paid in the end.

If you are after a 54cm specialized diverge I might be selling mine.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’m thinking frameset only. Plan to build with whatever I have already as a winter/wet weather commuter with mudguards, 30cc ish slicks, discs.

wiggles
    Free Member

Think you will probably be looking at the PX frame then as not a huge choice frame only apart from high end stuff. Not the biggest gamble if you dont like it at the prices they churn them out at really…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Got a Kaffenback which is OK but I’m not 100% happy with it, was looking at a Cotic but the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 725 looked a better buy but other stuff had to be paid for so will be sticking with the Kaff.

It does what it says on the tin, more Skoda than Audi.

cjk

I opted for the frame only / spares option and bought a Surly LHT frame. Very happy with it but regret going down the 26″ / rim brake route. Therefore pls beware…

RustySpanner

Kona Rove AL?

Some very silly deals about a month or so ago.

lunge

I’ve got a Kaff and the best word I can use to describe it is “functional”. The ride is dull as dish water, no life or spring in it at all though he heavy wheels I’ve got on it don’t help I suspect. However, for a commuter type thing it’s perfect, it takes 28mm types with full guards, a rack and is pretty bomb proof.

Mine currently lives on the turbo but a potential change of jobs means it might be turned back into a super commuter once again.

I have to say, I’m not sure I’d buy one again as it kind of sucked the joy of riding out of me. But, if you just want a function, utilitarian commuter then there are much worse options.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anything better value than Kaffenback?’ is closed to new replies.