Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anything better than Pikes for £400
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Looking at new forks but most deals seemed to have dried up.

Looking for boost and preferable 140mm

Have seen pikes at £400, was really looking to spend less but looking 2nd by the time you give forks a full service and account for lack of warranty they start to seem good value

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Manitou Mattocs.

Stevelol
    Free Member

As above… Manitou Mattocs are amazing… I have a set on my 5010 and have just bought the 27/5+/29 version of them (Manitou Magnum) new, dirt cheap on eBay, no one seems to know how good they are or buy them because they don’t have rockschox or fox written on the side.

guandax
    Free Member

Also looking 29″ 150mm Boost forks. Haven’t found anything better for £400 other than Yari’s. Where did you see Pikes at £400 @subduedsupernova?

richmtb

29er Pikes are £400 at Merlin but I think they are non-boost?

johnjn2000

Are these £400 Pikes older models as I can only find 2015 versions anywhere close to £400. Looking for something myself at 120mm or 130mm but don’t want to go mad.

dc1988

+1 on the Mattoc’s, seriously underrated forks.

seb84

How stiff are the mattoc? Good enough for an enduro bike?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I dont think they are underrated, people just dont like the weirdness

dc1988

I’ve not noticed any lack of stiffness with the Mattoc’s, that’s compared to my BOS Seville with a 20mm axle.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Those Merlin Pikes are the older ones. I phoned them to check. Non-boost, charger 1 and solo air, so none of the modern advancements. I was ready to get them and modify them, or maybe buy a manitou when CRC sold some 2017 for a price so cheap it must have been an accident (especially since the next day they were £250 more expensive).

I always used to like Manitou forks back in the day – their damping was ahead of everyone else’s, but there was always something weird or plastic that shouldn’t have been.

big_scot_nanny

I always used to like Manitou forks back in the day – their damping was ahead of everyone else’s, but there was always something weird or plastic that shouldn’t have been

I’ll give you that. My son had a pair of Mattocs on his Grantie Chief, and my goodness they were good, but the design of the rebound damper meant, even following instructions, it got lost at least once a year.

Also, air has to be put in/extracted whilst upside down.

On my Mastodon Pro’s, there is an issue that the steerer was not properly seated in the crown – now a well documented feature (but tragic to read back through the confused MTBR mastodon thread) – and initially every ride required a nip up of the pre-load as it slowly bedded. On really big hits (like my OTB incident last week), it still beds in a bit further.

HOWEVER – goddam they are better feeling forks than Fox/RS – just lovely motion and damping, stiff and nicely carvable through the rough stuff. Recommended highly if you can find any 🙂

transition1
    Free Member

Out of your budget but would also recommend Maintou. I have the new Mezzer fork & it’s unreal! One of best forks I have owned, as good as my Deville but stiffer & 29er. Perform as well as my Yari RC with Smashpot conversion better than my Ohlins RXF 34 which is an amazing fork since it’s been newly serviced. 37mm stanchions & easy to strip & service as lower nuts 14mm unlike old Manitou

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Mattocs Pro’s have a really good damper with well tuned adjustments. The controls can be a bit stiff at the extremes of adjustment and watch out for play in the bushings with Manitou forks!

jler1985

Start fitness have 27.5 2017 RCT3 130mm boost pikes for £399.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

You can pick up a pr of dvo beryl for 450 highly recommended
    Nothing wrong with manitou mattoc forks but whilst there a good fork the fact is there simply not as good as the equivalent fox or rs and that’s a fact same as suntour.
    It’s like shopping at aldI or lidl yes it’s fine and yes it’s cheaper but the reason it’s cheaper is because there not quite as good as the big boys -fact .
    Manitou have a current issue with incorrect bushings fitted on there latest mezzer which is causing excessive movement even when deep in the travel imo this should be a recall which I believe is being announced any day .
    The yari debonair is about the best value fork I’ve ever ridden but the creaky csu issues I’ve had just put me off

jamesoz

Interesting opinion, I run two sets of 2016/17 Mattoc pros and one set of 2015 Pikes with the charger damper.
    The Mattocs are better in almost every respect.

Tracey
    spicer
    Free Member

Are you all talking about the same Mattocs that CRC have for £280? (although 2017 model).

Thinking of replacing my pikes with something new…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anything better than Pikes for £400’ is closed to new replies.