Anything better than budget planet X road bikes ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anything better than budget planet X road bikes ?
  • big yim

My mates after a new road bike and wants full carbon, 0 percent finance of about 30 40 quid a month. All that is calling out to me at the moment is planet x. Does anyone else have any other suggestions or ideas to broaden my horizons?

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Some of the Vitus and Boardman racers tend to also have good spec for the money. Not sure if either do 0% finance but you can get at least 2 years on a 0% credit card these days so that maybe another option.

Edit – after a quick look Boardman don’t have the spec bike I considered just over a year ago – that was carbon frame / 105 hydraulic disc grouoset etc for £1350. Wiggle have the carbon Vitus Zenium either with tiagra for £999 or 105 hydraulic for £1399. Both with interest free finance. I’d consider that vs Planet X.

Maybe also check Paul’s bikes as they often have heavily discounted road bikes – when I looked they had good deals on Cube and Giant road bikes.

I actually went aluminium and a Cannondale Caad12 105 disc as an lbs had one in stock on sale that I could sit on – so I bought from them. It was also a similar weight to similarly priced carbon bikes (£1200 it cost).

eskay

Long shot, but if he is in the Bristol area and can afford to pay in one lump sum, I have a Dolan L’etape full carbon 11 spd mainly Shimano 105 bike for sale. Good condition and lightly used. £500

mogrim

Don’t know if Decathlon do financing, but their road bikes are excellent VFM.

big yim

Eskay do you have any pics please ?

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

My son has been regularly using a carbon Planet X for a good few years now but he’s never been happy with it on Alpine descents, flexy is the word he uses. Recently bought a Bowman which he much prefers despite it being aluminium and was very pleased with it on a week’s holiday in Girona. In July he’ll be using the Bowman for the Maratona dles Dolomites event.

eskay

Yim – link to pick below. Size is large (5ft 9 to 6ft from memory but would need to double check on Dolan website).

I have invoice etc, it was my son’s bike but he hardly rode it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z4nmg6extkFEwxyh6

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

My son has been regularly using a carbon Planet X for a good few years now but he’s never been happy with it on Alpine descents, flexy is the word he uses.

Original ProCarbons, until recently still the best selling frame, were on the compliant side of things under an aggressive or heavy rider.

Without knowing which frame, or what model it’s hard to help more with this feedback.

I your mates new to road biking a well fitted one from a shop will be better than a poorly fitting one from the interwebs

slimjim78

Did my first 100 miler on a PX Carbon (Pro?) a few years ago and loved it, felt light and responsive, and as a heavyweight rider I can’t say I ever found it flexy, at least nowhere near as much as my current steel road bike.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

I raced on a pro carbon for a season, didn’t have any major issues but it did like to flex!

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

I raced on a pro carbon for a season, didn’t have any major issues but it did like to flex!

Straight steerer fork, long-ish headtube and a decent weight. They could get a bit wound up if you hammer them.

Pro Carbon Evo, EC130 all now tapered steerer.

baddddad

Won’t quite hit £40 a month (without a decent deposit) but this is a serious bargain with the extra 10% off
    Spesh Roubaix

Chew

I have one of these as my winter bike

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-laterite-2-2019-road-bike-EV299414

A good bike for the money and will come in his budget, along with finance options.
    Then you can just upgrade the wheels at a later date.

I’d happily recomend Ribble for their road bikes, good spec (you can customise the spec to a point). My old Ribble was a great ride, just looking at their carbon disc bikes at the moment.

I bought a PX London Road a few years ago with SRAM hydraulics etc. While it was light it just felt dead flimsy and I was never happy with it. I’ll admit to being a bit disappointed with it.

It was a stopover bike while my main commuter (hub gear, steel frame, hydraulic brakes) was fixed up. Sold it for £300 after having done around 4000 miles on it.

I think the lesson I learned from that was never buy a bike remotely unless you’ve actually ridden one and know what you’re getting. PX / on-one are quite good for cheap and cheerful disposable clothing accessories (buffs gloves etc random stuff like that) but in my limited experience I’d probably steer clear of their bikes from now on.

I should also add I’ve got a really super lightweight specialized road bike from 2004 that I use occasionally and I’m really happy with it as a weekend bike.

What’s he using this bike for? The odd road ride in nice weather or a day in day out mile muncher?

I had a planet x rt57 it was lovely to ride, sold it when I could afford my dream steel bike , should have kept it tbh

twowheels

@mrb123 re. the Scultura disc at Paul’s Cycles – any idea how they size up?

The “54cm” appears to actually be a 56cm ETT with 39cm reach. I am 182.5cm with normal proportions currently riding a 57cm ETT/397mm reach but 90mm stem (L Arkose) so tempted to take a punt.

£750 real cost (on cyclescheme) seems pretty decent for an Ultegra disc bike.

Premier Icon riklegge
    Subscriber

@big yim Dolan tuono in 54cm any good?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.