Anyone XC Ski

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone XC Ski
  • grantyboy

always fancied it, live in Aberdeen so can get to Aviemore and Huntly Nordic centre easy enough. Looks like a sport I could just get the kit then have a bash, is there any more technical aspects to it for a beginner just wanting to have a bash and play in the snow when the ski centres are storm bound/pea soup. Cheers! (snowboarder for 20 years but don’t think the skill set will help here)

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I do, here in Sweden. Classic or skate? Both are great and not too hard to get going.  Get second hand waxless or skintec,  wear less you than would expect, you are gonna sweat buckets!

my most recent bimble

https://www.strava.com/activities/2983916859

grantyboy

Classic as two places I have mentioned have the machine that cuts the tracks into the snow and makes circuits on the fire roads in the woods. Yes was going to dress similar to a winter road ride, I run hot as it is
    I was going to get the kit from Decathlon as cheap enough, they have 70% mohair skins for £80 with bindings

Subscriber

Yep sounds grand. You still need to wax them but much , much less. There are some good videos on youtube, try and learn the gliding technique without the poles first would be my only tip.

grantyboy

appreciate it, so similar with normal skiing as in learn technique then introduce the poles

Edukator

Yup years of racing. Buy a set of roller blades and get proficient. If the snow is nicely groomed go skate. If it’s deep or icy go classic. Classic is much harder to do well, waxing classic skis are much faster than fish scales or mohair but a faff to get the wax right for the conditions.

grantyboy

I used to roller skate heaps in my yooth and can still use those skills when ice skating. So it’s very similar to those motions??
    This is just for fun/fitness. can’t be assed matching wax with temps/snow etc

Subscriber

Yep very similar technique for skate. Enjoy!

Edukator

can’t be assed matching wax with temps/snow etc

In which case go skate and wax with Rex purple, there won’t be many days it won’t glide well in Scotland.

Subscriber

Think you are going a bit over the top Edukator. Modern waxless are very good. First thing is to try both surely, see what the OP likes, not worry about waxing and going as fast as possible, just trying to stay upright is most important!

redmex

I still have an original exerskier from the ’80s open to offers hardwood skis. Perfect for getting fit or practising your arm leg co ordination when there’s nae snaw most of the time in Scotland. Please note can not be connected to wifi so its just yourself your against

grantyboy

is it Zwift compatible lol

Edukator

waxless

No such thing. 😉 even on classic skis with fish scales or mohair it makes a big difference if you regularly glide wax the glide parts of the ski. One new thing I do like is the Rex sticky tape grip wax for classic skis, it has a huge temperature range and lasts a long time.

Skiing on classic skis that don’t glide well is a miserable experience and won’t allow you to progress beyond being able to jog along faster and faster. It’s the kick, glide and learning different coordinations that’s fun.

Subscriber

Funny you mention miserable experiences 🤪  Enjoy OP whatever you decide!

sweepy

I’m by no means an expert but came to it from the same background as you, for the same reasons and go to the same trails. In my opinion.
    Go classic, we dont get that many days most years and even when we do its not that well groomed.
    Waxless fishscale are much less faff with our conditions, I can’t see you needing skins, the fishscales will be fine.
    They are buggers to turn and when the trails get icy it can get a bit sketchy but you aren’t going that fast so its Ok. I went for skis with metal edges, not really needed on the forest tracks but it gives me a better chance of turning and will allow more challenging ground as/if I progress.
    You can get the kit and just go, its great to stop off on the way home from work and with a headtorch nights are quiet and beautiful.
    Its a great way to get out exercising and having fun in the snow and a hell of a workout, Enjoy it:)

triguy100

Head to Clashindarroch, lots of tracks, pisted when possible and a fair few track options. Roller skiing is a great way of getting the technique pinned and a decent workout, especially for MTB.
    Plenty ski touring in the NE as well, good for days when we can’t get the bike out and have lost the love for the turbo (often!).

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I used to do this in Finland, and yes I did get more than one type of wax..! I sold my skis when I flew back home, wish I never had now. They were only skinny ones and would have been entirely wrong for the odd bit of snow we’ve had here but I’d have headed out to the fire roads in the woods anyway, just because.

Absolutely loved it, and I’m profoundly sad I don’t get to do it any more 🙁

Technique is somewhere between swimming and running in terms of things to think about, IMO. Just moving along is dead easy as long as you don’t have to go down too big of a hill.. but once you get the motion worked out you can zip along and it feels great. I found biking fitness transferred pretty well, I was able to get a great workout putting my back into it and nothing hurt or ached, unlike when I run.

dovebiker

Get yourself something like a Skike or Powerslide offroad skate – big wheels roll far quicker than regular roller skis and work on fire roads / mild trails etc – and develop your skating / skiing technique and fitness. I had a pair on a local closed road circuit and would lap about 30% quicker than those on roller skis – online speed skates even quicker!

john_l

Changing the subject slightly. I fancy trying touring skis when I’m in the Alps. Presume I need to hire a complete set-up – boots, skis, skins? Are boots very different from alpine boots?

Edukator

You can get carbon touring boots that weigh a few grams, cost nearly a grand and are still pretty flexy. Or you can get freeride touring boots for 500e that weigh lots and have a flex of around 100. I go for something in the middle which is reasonably light and comfortable on the way up and not total chewing gum on the way down.

Beware narrow fitting Italian boots.

I went out for a skate yesterday and today, great sport.

gonefishin

Changing the subject slightly. I fancy trying touring skis when I’m in the Alps. Presume I need to hire a complete set-up – boots, skis, skins? Are boots very different from alpine boots?

It depends on the set up to be honest. You’ll almost certainly need skis and skins (not to mention avalanche kit) but you might not need boots. The set up I have on my alpine skis allows me to use my boots to tour if I want to although as with all things it is a compromise. The set up is heavy and hiking in alpine boots can be a pain, literally, but if you are only doing one day or so then it would probably be fine.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.