Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone worked on MK5 Golf doors?
  • granny_ring

As in removed the front door skins?
    Got a problem that I need help with….

zippykona

The door skin is the metal bit on the outside do you mean door trim?

granny_ring

Yeah the outside metal door skin.

zippykona

Have you thought how you are going to fit new ones? A trip to the breakers will probably be easier.
    Anyway, you normally grind away the outer edge lip all the way round and snap it off at the window edge.

danmac
    Free Member

Whats the problem at hand to warrant tearing the outer skins off?

crapjumper
    Free Member

Yes I’ve done that . What’s the problem you’re working on ?

thols2

Whats the problem at hand to warrant tearing the outer skins off?

It’s usually because the bags of cocaine got wedged somewhere where you can’t get them out through the door trim so you need to rip the door apart.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

At a guess it’s the central locking unit ?!?!

Removing the door skin takes about 5 mins about 12 star screws to remove, taking out the handle is a bit trickier.

Plenty of videos on YouTube

raincloud
    Free Member

See below link for door skin removal and lock replacment

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34343.0

I got about 2 yrs more life out of sticky central locking by removing small rubber bung in door and then dousing the door lock module with wd40.

It then totally failed and contrary to my link above just paid someone else to do it………..

Of course you may just have to get the bags of cocaine out in which case all this talk of door locks is useless

crapjumper
    Free Member

I’ll take a punt on electric window regulator

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Or simply a dent? For the gubbins internal to the door, its generally easier to take the door card off (few torx screws and a bit of yanking it). Golfs are pretty good in that the skin is seperate to the actual door (not worked on a huge range of cars but the mk5 Golf is one of the few I have worked on which is like this) which means that of the door does get dented, its dead easy to swap the skin vs the full door which is obviously hinges, realignment, world of pain etc.

coiffuredchimp
    Free Member

The problem we found with the skins was getting one supplied that corresponded with the car. It wasn’t unusual to have to order 3 or 4 to get one that fitted as all the plants had slightly different presses.

granny_ring

Sorry peeps for delay in replying.
    Coke not involved lol.
    Unfit- yes that’s been playing up so bought a new lock regulator.
    Crap – yes that’s snapped, so got a new one.

So got the door skin off ok no probs, followed youtube guides. The problem occurred when putting the doorskin back on after looking at the window regulator. This numpty thought he had put all the torx screws back in before putting the handle back on…….and yes I had forgotten to put the small torx in behind the handle….it’s a right PITA to try and get the handle off now as the carrier slides a bit when trying to slide the handle back.

Going to have another look at it tomorrow. Have been told that if I take all the torx screws out I should be able to get enough of a gap in the door skin to get behind and wedge the carrier somehow?

Any other tips…?

Wish me luck lol.

Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone worked on MK5 Golf doors?’ is closed to new replies.