Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone work for O2 upgrades?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m getting an awful deal after being with the company for 10 years. They claim I’ve only been with them one year even though the contract I’m upgrading was a 2 year contract.

I’m sure someone on here said they worked for O2.

Cheers

psychobiker
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded on a business contract, and they wanted to charge me £200 for the new phone, I pointed out you could get the phone on a different contract for less, instant £170 reduction on upfront cost of phone. I have found them very helpful in my experience.

Marcel

jam-bo

Are you talking to upgrades or retentions?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

This was retentions. It seems the year contract, that has actually been 10, is limiting them on discount.

Doesn’t help it’s an iphone too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t upgrade your iPhone now, new model will be much better, should be out in September. I suggest you get the phone unlocked (O2 have to do this for you although they can/will make a charge) and then put it on a rolling monthly contract (£12-ish for unlimited data, calls texts). Asking for the unlock code and going rolling monthly will certainly encourage them to offer you a better deal but you should still reject it IMO.

FYI Mine is due in July and that’s what I am doing, I’m then going to buy a phone as I am done with being locked into contracts and if I look after the phone I can sell it and it will cost less to own over it’s life than a contract phone.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded from my iphone5 to an nice shiny, waterproof, 3gb ram/130gb sdxc card capacity, noise cancelling headphones Sony Xpreia Z2.

It was great for the two days it worked, then overnight, whilst charging on my bedside, the screen spontaneously cracked rendering it unusable <- link to bitching fanbois on the sony support forum.

had to go back to my iPhone for now due to the bank holiday but a replacement from O2 should arrive tomorrow.

Wish I’d heard about this “self destruct feature” Sony appear to have included in their flagship range before opting for it, I’d have seriously thought twice about that!

Still, when it was working it was x100 better than my iphone5.

oh and the upgrade was FOC on 24mth contract.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So are you sticking with the Sony?

I’ve always been an apple fan, purely because whenever I’ve swapped to android it’s simply not been as good or has missing apps/features.

Cheers

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m going to give it another try, hopefully it was just a lemon.

The Z2 seemed to be a very capable phone, far better than the “child friendly” approach of iOS and although I despise having to spend time making things work I was very impressed with the functionality and flexibility of Kitkat. Whats more the Airplay app I was using appeared to be far better and stable than the apple one!

I’m pushing Sony for a confession that the Z series are prone to failure just incase because I’m not happy about having a phone that breaks through no fault of my own!

short answer: yes, but I’m scared!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha yes, after reading up it seems the glass, whilst looking incredible, isn’t fit for purpose.

soops
    Free Member

I have a HTC m8 on EE. Fantastic phone, network better than T-Mobile. I am adding the wife to it in June as they do shared plans and seeing as unlimited minutes, texts and 5gb will do us both it will work out at £28 a month each on 4g.

tron
    Free Member

EE, Orange and T – mobile are all on the same network…

monkeychild
    Free Member

My z1 compact has been flawless and works better than an iPhone.

konabunny
    Free Member

Don’t upgrade your iPhone now, new model will be much better, should be out in [three months from now].

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kona, you are going to be using a phone for 1-2 years perhaps longer so waiting a few months for the 6 with larger screen and improved processor and etc seems a smart move.

konabunny
    Free Member

No, I’m just pointing out that there has been no point in time since the release of the original iPhone at which a new iPhone which is newer and better will be released “soon”!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve upgraded as they finally cracked and gave me my loyalty discount and a free 5s.

I now pay £23 a month and have two 5s handsets to sell and buy a 6 if I want it.

Works out far better as the 6 line rental and phone cost will be ridiculous.

footflaps

I think Apple stop the networks giving discounts on iPhones to maintain their premium status.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Mosey Understood . The 6 (with its larger screen) will cost the same more or less as the 5S, the rumoured largest screen version is rumoured to be £60 more. The way you’ve done it if you don’t like the size of the 6 you can keep the 5S. Selling your 5S’s will be a bit harder as it’s locked to O2. That’s partly why I’m just going to buy the unlocked phone and pay £13/month for unlimited data/etc. I’m also fed up with being locked in for 24 months and the fact that T-Mobile put my “fixed price” contract up midway through the period. I’d rather have an unlocked phone and total flexibility including putting a local sim card in when I go abroad.

@footflaps – Apple is keen to protect pricing of course, the networks can subsidise the phones other ways if they want but the fact is they can sell them faster than they can make them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

@Mr Nutt, you’re being pretty snappy with the guy who’s trying to help and give advice! Why?
    Things do sometimes break, the guy has offered you a possible solution, but you throw it back in his face! Its not Sony’s fault you live in the middle of nowhere.
    Occasionally things do go wrong with mobile handsets and are a known fault (remember the iPhone4 rubber bumper?). As long as they sort you out whats the problem?
    Lifes too short to waste time on a cracked screen.

luke
    Free Member

I’ve had the Experia Z since just after launch and whilst a great phone it had an inherent fault in that the charging socket was prone to breaking, the internet has plenty of stories of such, but luckily the phone has an alternative way of charging via a dock, which is an optional extra.
    The network and Sony have been less than helpful even when confronted by other tales of the same issue and both are content to blame me for willfully breaking it.
    It’s put me off buying Sony again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, I’ve 5 Sony Ericsson dumb phones and 3 Xperia phones. Only one of them gave me any sort of gip, and the Xperia’s haven’t missed a beat. My original X10i is still going strong after 4 years with my o/h.

CountZero

Occasionally things do go wrong with mobile handsets and are a known fault (remember the iPhone4 rubber bumper?).

Deary me, there was no fault. At least, no inherent fault that didn’t also affect every other make of mobile phone available at the time.
    The issue was to do with the main TX antenna which was placed at the base of devices in order to put it as far from the head as possible, which meant that if the phone was gripped in the hand it could attenuate the signal, a situation made far worse in the US where a number of networks were notoriously poor in their network signal strength, particularly AT&T, who had a monopoly on the iPhone.
    It was never a significant issue in the UK, or at least I could never get my iP4 to show a significant drop.
    But I did get a £19 Belkin case for free from Apple, so I’m not complaining.
    And it’s still on my 4 which is my iPod and backup phone.

soops
    Free Member

Tron – 4g on EE has better coverage than 3g T-Mobile. They admitted to me that they spend more on 4g infrastructure as it is going to be the standard. I get a signal at my house where I never did on T-Mobile.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Deary me, there was no fault. At least, no inherent fault that didn’t also affect every other make of mobile phone available at the time.

Ok, not so much as a fault and more of a design issue, but Im unaware of any other mobiles that were affected by the same problem. Or have I misunderstood you?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tron – 4g on EE has better coverage than 3g T-Mobile. They admitted to me that they spend more on 4g infrastructure as it is going to be the standard. I get a signal at my house where I never did on T-Mobile.

I have 3g T-Mobile phone and 3g-Three Mobile mobile-wifi device. The T-Mobile signal is terrible and the signal/data speed on Three is much much better (London and South East). That’s partly why when my T-Mobile contract is up I am switching to Three where I will get 4G for free (ie at 3g prices). I am done with T-Mobile/EE

MrNutt
    Free Member

UPDATE:

so I’ve my new Z2, its not spontaneously composted yet and its a far better phone than the iPhone 5/5s and KitKat appears far more flexible, interesting and adaptable than iOS8, I’m confident that I’ve made the right choice leaving “the walled garden” even if this new place is a snake infested app store of unregulated arse.

And yes that arsenate on the Sony support forums deserved the shortshrift as he is an obvious FanBoy (the lowest of the low) and thought he was breaking new ground in international humorist circles by, wait for it, making fun of my surname. He was lucky to get out alive to be honest.

Still, relatively happy with my Z2, although it’d be a different matter if I didn’t have faith in O2 Platinum customer services having my back!

MrNutt
    Free Member

UPDATE:

impressive, my replacement Z2 cracked again last night, replacement due to arrive tomorrow. that will be No.3 in two/three weeks

jam-bo

Your not selling it. iPhone 6 for me then…

MrNutt
    Free Member

to be honest it is an incredible piece of kit, far better than an iPhone, having had 4 years of iPhone confinement I’d not realised how locked down and basic they are. The Android OS is waaaay more configurable and flexible. Its also pretty much clutter free. The Z2 is very very quick, it has the best camera I’ve ever seen in a phone and the fact that its got 3gb ram, 16gb onboard with an SDXC storage slot means its very very flexible (I’ve currently got a 64GB microSDXC but further down the line I shall probably treat myself to a 128GB one. The phone’s battery is as good if not better than the iPhone and I find the size perfect for my big hands and rubbish eyesight! oh the screen is fantastic too… …when it’s not cracking and rendering the device 100% unusable.

jam-bo

do you work in marketing?

MrNutt
    Free Member

haha no.

CountZero

MrNutt – Member
    UPDATE:

impressive, my replacement Z2 cracked again last night, replacement due to arrive tomorrow. that will be No.3 in two/three weeks

That is impressive! A mate is still using a Sony Ericsson K750i I gave him six or seven years ago, and he now has my iPhone 3G from six years ago, which is still working, as is my iPhone 4, from four years ago…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work for O2 upgrades?’ is closed to new replies.