Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone with experience of Nintendo DS or similar?
  • Marge
    Free Member

It’s my sons birthday in 3 weeks & he would like a Nintendo hand-held DS.

I see there are now also DS XL models but I am not quite sure about the differences (other than the obviously bigger screens on the XL)

I’m most interested in compatability of games between DS & DS XL but when I enquired in 2 different shops I received contradictory answers.

Anyone got any advice to offer?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

DS now quite old, DSi less old, the main difference between DS & DSi is that the DSi can be used on the internet. DS can also be used with older Nintendo hand held cartridges, from Gameboy era, but DSi looses that ability, that cartiridge slot has gone.

DS XL is basically a DSi with bigger screens. Nintendo seem to market the standard DS now for adults with the brain training type games.

I suppose some of it is you could buy son a DS, but I’d wonder if he’s be subject to the usual & unwarranted “why didn’t you get a DS XL, they’re much better” from alledged mates etc.

wwaswas

unless there are some very specific games he wants I’d seriously consider an iPod touch – my 8 year old hasn’t been near her DS since she got one and it’ll ‘grow’ with her into an MP3 player etc.

joemarshall
    Free Member

unless there are some very specific games he wants I’d seriously consider an iPod touch – my 8 year old hasn’t been near her DS since she got one and it’ll ‘grow’ with her into an MP3 player etc.

I’d be wary of that advice – the iPhone / iTouch games are nothing like as good as DS games. Also, if the kid says they’d like a DS, they probably know what they want, getting them something different will mean they can’t play games with friends, or play the games all their mates are playing, and will hate you forever.

It’s as big a difference as if someone posted on here saying ‘My kid would like a mountain bike, what one should they buy’, and someone said ‘buy them a road bike, it’ll be faster’.

Marge
    Free Member

Son is huge fan of Super Mario Bros, so I was thinking of the special edition 25th anniversary version of the XL.

His mate has a DS (or maybe a DSi) – they look pretty similar from what I gather so it would be cool if they could exchange games though.

I was told (& also not told) that DSi games work on a DSi XL but not they other way around…

VanHalen

my kid loves her DS. a bog standard DS at that.

she can use it as an mp3 player as well.

as far as i`m aware a DS game fits all DS consoles. if not i’ve just been dead lucky up till now as i’ve not checked compatibility yet on birthday prezzies ive bought!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hi I used to sell them. DS and DS Lite will play DS games and Gameboy Advance games. DSi will play DS and DSi, the dsi also has a camera (that’s the eye – I) and built in software to make very basic cartoons. The DSi won’t play gameboy games or DS games were you need to plug something into the GBA Slot, don’t fret there are only a few if them and they are all crap anyway. Stuff like guitar hero on tour were you need to plug something into the gameboy slot. DSi XL will play same as DSi. I’d buy him a DSi XL, they often have a few shortages nearer to Christmas so don’t leave it last minute. Next year the 3d DS will be out which he will want even more.

roach

I think I’m going to go for a DSi not the XL for my boy for XMAS. It’s smaller so easier in small hands, supposed to not have pixellated graphics like the XL, and it’s about £40-50 cheaper.

Marge
    Free Member

It seems everyone has their own preference but thanks for the great advice (especially Catflees on the game compatability)

vim_fuego
    Free Member

There might be a DS lite for sale in the Fuego household if you are interested.

stanfree
    Free Member

My kids have all had Dsi’s , we recently traded two of them In to get the Ds XL which they seem happy with . Unbelievably Nintendo DS consoles cant play flash video which I only realised after downloading his favourite clips of you tube. Still the XL is good and now comes in different colours to the original brown colour.

redthunder
    Free Member

Dont forget to get an R4 card for homebrew stuff.

Hohum
    Free Member

redthunder – Member

What’s that mate?

My son loves his DS and the Mario games, but recently broke his DS and is looking for a new DSi XL from his grandparents for Christmas.

gnusmas

Got told in our local Game 2 weeks ago the DS XL is stopping being produced before Xmas to make way for the 3DS in March and the line up then will be DSi and 3DS. Don’t know how much of that is true but the helpful bloke in the shop was pretty clued up about it.

My son just upgraded his DS lite to a DSi with his birthday money, hasn’t stopped playing with the camera and voice recordings features since. Personally would recommend a DSi.

Cougar

What Catfleas said.

In honesty, it’s a bit of a non-issue. The DSi-specific stuff as largely tat, certainly I’ve never seen anything on there that would make me want to run out and replace my original ‘fat’ DS. Whatever you go with, there’s no real risk of buying the “wrong” one.

Cougar

(that said, I’m 38, not 7, so perhaps I’m outside the DSi’s target audience.)

mogrim

What’s that mate?

The R4 card allows you to run pirated games.

MushetPhoto
    Free Member

Unless you’ll be using the old GBA games, I’d get a DSi. The XL is bigger, but has exactly the same resolution, so the graphics don’t look quite as sharp…

Mine’s a nice matt black.

WTF
    Free Member

My lad has DSi and was waiting for 3d DSi to come out.
    Got an iPod 4G and the DS is history.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The dude in game was kind of right, PAL Nintendo hardware is assembeled in Germany. Nintendo don’t distribute until they have a specific amount to send out. It’s thier sales method of flooding the Market. Having worked for one of the other big retailers and being bessos with head honchos at said company I can confirm staff are told to twist the truths bit to get a sale on the day. Typically last deliveries before Christmas are 3 weeks before, however most of the stock is customer orders. I would take any kid into a games shop to ‘look’ at the DS’s as most kids seem to want the XL’s they don’t seem too fussed about the pixely graphics etc…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

…And Pirate games is just wrong. It’s theft. If you think games cost too much don’t buy them but don’t steal them. I can’t afford a Ferarri but I wouldn’t steal one even if I could get away with it. R4 is really for developing your own software etc…

Frankers
    Free Member

If anyone is interested i have DSi XL in Dark Brown or Wine Red available for £120 posted, brand new in sealed boxes.

Mail me – pedalfaster@gmail.com

LMT
    Free Member

The R4 is now illegal to sell and buy in the UK, DSi is a good console but would wait as the 3DS is due before christmas in the UK and DSi prices will drop like a stone before christmas.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The 3ds is going to be released before 31st March in the UK, Nintendo have officialy put stop to any rumours or the November release date that’s been going round. Nintendo typically releases new handhelds in the first quarter of each year in the UK, DS march, Ds lite March, DSi June, Dsi xl April, this us to ensure a good supply fit Christmas. Japan gets them first. The price of the DSi XL won’t drop till then and even then it will be marginal and most probaly be sponsered bundles rather than a price slash.

Hohum
    Free Member

I guess that the 3D version will also need 3D software, which there will presumably be a relative lack of in the early days?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah Ho Hum another reason why consoles don’t come out so near to Christmas. It gives time for a catalogue of games to develop. It will be intresting to see how the 3DS looks both physically and graphically. Nintendo have pushed technology before and failed (Virtua Boy) but these days they usually get things right.

MrsToast
    Free Member

The R4 is now illegal to sell and buy in the UK, DSi is a good console but would wait as the 3DS is due before christmas in the UK and DSi prices will drop like a stone before christmas.

The 3DS is coming out in Japan in February and in the UK in March. It’s quite a leap up from the current DS in terms of graphics and power (and obviously has the 3d functionality), but it’s still going to backwards compatible with the original DS/DSi games (much as the original DS was backwards compatible with the GBA).

redthunder
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

What’s that mate?

The R4 card allows you to run pirated games.

So does a PC. I said homwbrew like Moonshell for MP3’s, Colours and ImgViewer. The DS should of had an organizer on it as default IMO.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with experience of Nintendo DS or similar?’ is closed to new replies.