Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • anyone with an etrex that has an altimeter, and memory map???…
  • meeeee
    Free Member

I'm looking at getting a garmin vista HCX which has an altimeter and can show route profiles.

But…

can it show me on the profile if i repeat the route (ie will it show how far up the climbs i am like a garmin edge will). And if i plot a new route on memory map and export this into bike route toaster with height data then load this into the etrex will it have a profile for the route i havent ridden yet?

The garmin edge units can do this, just wondered if the altimeter etrex ones can as well.

Cheers

abductee
    Free Member

They all do GPS altitude. Do you need the greater accuracy of a barometric altimeter?

meeeee
    Free Member

no but i'd like the profile feature.. well providing it can show me a profile of a route i've pre planned and show where i am on the profile plot. Also they show a few other things like total ascent (which the non altimeter ones dont do) and i'd like the electonic compass for walking with, thats why was thinking of the Vista model. But if it deoesnt do the profile thing like the Garmin Edge does i might just get a more basic model.

stumpyjon

I've got a Vista HCx, it does have a barometric altimeter, not sure about the altitude plot though…………..runs off to find Garmin unit………………gets back, looks like there is a page on it for altitude plots, no idea how it works, well you learn something everyday, have to get the instructions out.

hazeii
    Free Member

I've been using an eTrex with barometric altimeter and MM for a couple of years.

Basically the barometric altimeter is useless, except maybe for short-term measurement of height change (where GPS has problems). By far the most accurate way to get a height profile is to use the 'elevation profile' feature in MM.

stumpyjon

Must admit i tend to use the height profile on the PC (Tracklogs) as well. Unless you reset the barometric altimeter it often gives readings that are severl hundred feet off (Clitheroe is not 200ft below sea level).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘anyone with an etrex that has an altimeter, and memory map???…’ is closed to new replies.