Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone with an encyclopsedic knowledge of Hope calipers?
  • submarined
    Free Member

(Encyclopaedic, obviously. That’ll teach me to try and connect American English…)

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way I can fit the m4 caliper ive got in the shed to my forks.

It’s a Hope m4, no 6 caliper, which from googling appears to be a 203mm Boxxer caliper half.

After a lot of googling it looks like there only thing this fits to is s early 00s Boxxer. Does anyone know if there’s any way I can fit this to my 16 Pikes? I’m really grabbing at straws, but it’s just it’s a lovely brake, and seems a shame for it to just sit there!

simondbarnes

Pretty sure you can’t.

teethgrinder

Kind of. Grind off the bits that stick out on the IS tab.

Did it with a mono M4 caliper. Then use a Hope HBSM20H and a 200/203mm rotor.

It will work if you do it carefully. YMMV.

submarined
    Free Member

Teethgrinder – you know what’s coming, right? 😀

Got any pics? 😀

teethgrinder

Basically, where the extended bits on the IS mount on the caliper are, grind them of very carefully and as flat as possible.  Also be very careful of the face of the bit where the hose banjo mounts – don’t grind into that bit.  I ground too much off and needed spacers, and a gasket for the banjo.

As for the mount, yours for £4 if you want to try it, though TBH, you could probably just wait about on here and pick up a cheap set of M4’s – I let a set go for £50 not long ago 🙁 , and Retrobike would be a good bet to flog the #6 caliper.

submarined
    Free Member

I get ya, makes total sense, thank you sir! Like you say I think I may be better off selling the whole lot and buying something else, especially as I’ve only got the one.

teethgrinder

Indeed. It was not a highlight of my home-bodging career.

But not my worst, either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with an encyclopsedic knowledge of Hope calipers?’ is closed to new replies.