Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Anyone with an Anthem set up as a trail bike?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I.e. longer than 120mm forks, wide bars, short stem, strong/wide rims?

Any pix if you have please?

granny_ring

That’s called a Trance 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s a trail bike? I ride my standard Anthem at trail centres, peaks, dales, lakes etc and don’t have problems either with the terrain or keeping up with people. Have I missed some thing?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

not racey \z they were designed for, quite obvious really

skywalker
    Free Member

not racey \z they were designed for, quite obvious really

They aren’t made for racing, you can race on them, they are xc/trail bikes.

thepodge
    Free Member

less of the willy waving, the lad asks a question, you chip in with nothing helpful.

I have a trance as I thought the anthem was a bit too race on paper but having ridden an anthem over in nz I found it really easy to adapt to and would have no problem getting one if I had to replace my trance.

as with all bikes, a longer fork always seems to improve them

skywalker
    Free Member

Ask stupid questions and all that.

as with all bikes, a longer fork always seems to improve them

You call that helpful 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

he asked about longer forks, I gave an answer about longer forks. I also gave my opinion on how the anthem compares to what many consider to be the “trail” bike in the giant range.

I suspect my post was helpful.

kaesae
    Free Member

😆

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Longer than 120mm forks? the Anthem has 100mm therefore shouldn’t you you be thinking about putting longer forks on a Trance..?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

anthem x has 120mm sids doesn’t it?

skywalker
    Free Member

Nope, 100mm both ends.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Various forks depending on the spec i.e X0 though to X4 but all 100mm’s

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sounds like it would mke a fun bike. I thought you had a Santa Cruz though? Whats up with that?

islander

Run mine with 100mm forks, Hope Hoops on DT 4.2 rims over all maner of terrain with no real issues. Thought about upping to 120mm but if it isn’t broke etc. Don’t do big drops/jumps though but thats just cause im scared.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i do – not to replace but as an addition. They look like good fun 🙂

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Fun, but what exactly are you looking for?
    What SC do you have?

legend
    Free Member

I’ve got mine with a 120mm Reba with 20mm axle, shortish stem (70mm, but did run 40mm for a while), strong enough wheels (719s), reasonably high bars and a Minion up front….. do I reach the required gnar level?

Good enough setup like that to handle anything Innerleithen can through at it (minus the drops on Matador, not sure if i’d trust the frame for that)

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t get the recent “trail riding” label that seems to have appeared. dh trails aren’t the same as xc trails, which are also completely different to bmx trails.

legend
    Free Member

should it be ‘Every-trail’?

skywalker
    Free Member

I don’t get the recent “trail riding” label that seems to have appeared.

Its just cross country, or what used to be called mountain biking.

Ticklinjock

I tried a 125mm fork on its predecessor, the NRS. It made it handle quite differently and not always for the best.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m building a 2010 Anthem up with 140-95mm u-turn Pikes, 20mm bolt thru, shortish stem and chunky tyres to ride in the Lakes and Dales.

To avoid the trail bike debate it is intended to be a light weight cross country up and over mountain bike.

Its an experiment and the frame may break, because its blooming light!

:mrgreen:

Oh and if anyone wants to see one that someone else made earlier…

skywalker
    Free Member

I think they are designed to take up to 120mm

transapp
    Free Member

I’m running 100-130 revs on mine, use the negative air chamber to bring the travel down to 120mm. I don’t have wide bars (690) but run with a 70mm stem. It’s got fairly normal hope hoops with mavic 721’s on it. I’d ride it over pretty much anything, but I’m too much of a wuss to jump it far (I’m the weak link, not the bike). If you want to ride like a loon, trance / reign could be what you really need though

tomaso
    Free Member

Racer Adam Craig has a 120mm fork
    bikeradar

rob-jackson
    Free Member

holyjezus – nomad

munrobiker
    Free Member

Mine’s set with 100mm stem, 100mm SIDs and 660mm bars. I have pondered running mine with wider bars and may well try it one day but I find they hinder climbing too much.

I think a 120mm fork would make it a more trail friendly bike, but I don’t find it much of a slouch in the techy stuff as it is. It’s really a blast.

As for chunkier rims, I don’t see the problem here- I’ve had Olympics on mine that’re 4 years old now and I’ve actually just had them built onto new hubs because they died first.

I’ve used it at trail centres (it’s much quicker round Glentress than anything bigger) and it’s great there. I also find that it’s perfect for the Rivelin Valley trails and I suspect it’d do nicely on some of the tamer trails like the Roman Road but I’d not take it into the depths of the Peak.

Want a spin on mine Rob? Might be a bit small but I suspect it’ll make you want one. It’s the fastest bike I’ve ever ridden.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hows about a ride on wednesday luke? Fox house round houndkirk etc. 7:30 start

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sounds good to me, I’ll ride the porker you can ride the Anthem. I’ll need to sort the new wheels as they’re currently bare.

russjp
    Free Member

I ran my old anthem x with 130mm revelations, 50mm stem, 2.35″ maxxis, double ring, bash guard and lower chain device. Was a lovely trail bike, just had doubts about its overall strength if I came up short on a big jump though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

This is mine by the way.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

don’t worry – its more nomad territory 🙂

will give it a go sooner rather than later if you are ok with that tho

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yeah. Still keen for Wednesday. Where’s the Fox House?

DT78
    Free Member

If it helps I have a x1 with 100mm sids / light wheels & rocket rons and a nomad with 36s etc… I am the best part of 10% faster (garmin) round afan and cwmcarn on the anthem. Not too far off the same top speed either, just alot more squeaky moments on the anthem (= more fun)

Anthem doesn’t need bigger forks, the SIDs are fine if you can ride. I do have a spare set of uturn pikes I keep getting tempted to try on it though…

skywalker
    Free Member

I like that munrobiker, perfect for where I live.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

luke will fb you

tomaso
    Free Member

Here is one for sale on fleabay (not mine) with 140mm Revelations up front
    ebay ad
    Looks nice

tomaso
    Free Member

Out tonight on my freshly built up Anthem. I’ll try forks at 100-120 and 140mm and see how it goes. Been up to Lancaster castle and down the steep banks and steps to give it a shake down and it feels nice and tight. Looking forward to Hawkshead and some challenging terrain to test it out properly.

I did attempt to measure the difference in BB height with the forks at 100-120-140 and the difference was an increase of less than a 1/4 of an inch each time – so all in less than 1/2 and inch increase in BB height. I may try some of those fangled off-set shock bushings to drop the BB and slacken the head angle some more.

br
    Free Member

One thing you may need to check is rear mud-room.

I ran an XTC once and that was dire, and I don’t remember the demo Anthem I tried been much better?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with an Anthem set up as a trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.