Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone with a shotgun bike seat?
  • bikerevivesheffield

Do you have the instruction leaflet?? Bought one second hand and for the life of me, following the instructions, can’t fit it so that it doesn’t rock backwards when I pull at it???

https://kidsrideshotgun.co.uk/pages/fitting-instructions

That one!

cp

They’re not great imo. Not following the instructions actually results in a more stable set up for me.

crazyjenkins01

Rock backwards? Is the rubber stop underneath the seat in direct contact with the top tube? I never had this problem when I had one!
    Only other thing is do you have the “quick release” and foot peg threaded bar tight?

butcher

Maybe it depends on the bike but they lock on tight in my experience. The rubber grips the frame and they don’t move, and that’s being cautious not to over tighten on a carbon frame. It’s basically footpegs and the quick release that secure it.

sanchez89

I have one….

On my alloy frame i ‘wang’ it up tight and its fine,

On the carbon hardtail im a but more gentle but it still doesn’t move due to the rubber parts on the straps.

This was a cheapy one from Mr Bezos rather than the official version.

bikerevivesheffield

I’ll do it up tighter 🤞

crazyjenkins01

Also, thinking about it, get the angle of the legs right, that will help with rigidity

Shackleton

I had a similar issue due to a slight taper of my top tube. Basically it would slip back as you describe unless placed very precicely.

droplinked

Mine seems to move about sometimes but only on rougher trails and when the lad stands up on the pegs. It doesn’t move much, just slides backward along the top tube a bit.

I wish I’d bought the pro one or the macride.

zerocool

@Shackleton – I use a very short (1-2 foot) roof rack strap that I loop around the stem spaces and back of the seat to stop it slipping backwards as my top tube tapers off as well. Actually, I think it is just a cheap webbing strap from Ikea as it doesn’t need to be that strong. (I’ve also used a bit of paracord as well when it first happened on a trail)

Doing it this way has meant that we’ve managed to fit the original KRS onto a CF Capra (2015), my HT, a Calibre BBB and a range of hired Whyte ebikes (for the ebikes I bought a longer piece of threaded bar as the legs need to be bent out wider to accommodate the fact that the bikes were a bit portly).

My kids are 4 1/2 now and still enjoy riding on them (LLS geometry and ebikes are a godsend for this 🙂 )

sharkattack

I’ve got one and we love it.

It swivelled around a bit on the first test ride but then I really wanged it up and it’s solid now. I didn’t have the foot pegs tight enough. Use them to pinch the frame nice and tight before you back up the locknuts.

docrobster
    Free Member

I mis-read the title as “anyone got a shotgun licence” and thought, what’s Rob up to now?!😳

jet26
    Free Member

Those of you who have one- how old are your kids? Boy almost 3 and would love to take him out on one of these on the MTB…

sharkattack

My boy is 2 next week and we’ve been using it for about a month. He’s also been scooting around on a balance bike for a while so he may be a freak.

I did just make an error about an hour ago. Boy was moved into the trailer with his cousin due to a bit of nappy rash/saddle sore. Dad tried to mount the shotgun saddle while riding down a hill and it swivelled backwards and I couldn’t find the pedals.

I almost had a high speed dismount in front of a bunch of civilians.

zerocool

My kids are just over 4 1/2. They love it. I think longer bikes are a great thing when combined with a Shotgun seat. And flat pedals help as you have to ride a bit bow-legged. Droppers make getting on and off a lot easier as well.

moonsaballoon

I loved mine ,  I really miss using it now my youngest is too big .

I had an issue sometimes with the saddle tilting back , I couldn’t seem to get those bolts tight enough without fear of breaking them . Velcro strap round the front of it solved the issue .

jamiemcf

Youngest is now 2 and 3 months. Won’t go on it as he wants to ride his bike. Which does limit us somewhat to local rides.

His brother loved it until he said he wanted to go down the stairs. I never realised he wanted to walk down the stairs 🤣

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

My youngest is nearly 3, been using (bezos knock-off) it for 6 months. She keeps making me ride down chutes and small drops over and over again. It’s great, until she stands up just at a tricky bit and smacks me in the chin with her helmet or shakes the bars violently trying to “help” steer.

a11y

Seats like this are the best experience ever. It was 2 x Mac Rides for us back when my girls were younger – had some great rides and days out with them. Got to admit I much prefer the setup/attachment style of the Mac Ride over the Shotgun though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seemed like a short life span product to me.

We have a macride it does have the best fitting system if you have more than one bike but jnr is 3. With a helmet on -and me being 6ft 3 her head hits my face.and you end up walking. Like you have ricketts after any length of ride. (We have done glentress red the witches trails on it)

She’s on a tag along trailer now – 30k rides off road not a worry and she gets to help.

But for 18months to three it was grand.

5lab

It’s relatively short life, but with 2 Kids you get 5 years out of it and sell it for a good price. Not much other bike kit manages that. I can take 2 kids out with me, one on the seat, one towed uphill with the tire velo (best rope available) and happily ride any blues with them

wzzzz
    Free Member

The mac ride is a far better designed product, better seat. better mounting system etc

bikerevivesheffield

Not looking for recommendations for alternatives nor bothered about the costs, wanting to check I’ve fitted it right that’s all 🤷

sharkattack

I’m not bothered if one design is slightly better than another. It’s too much fun to care. I also got it from someone on here and I’ll probably pass it on to someone on here as well.

zerocool

We’ve got 2 and been using them for 2 years. They’ll be out of them soon but damn do they really love riding on them. We tend to go somewhere like FOD, hire e-bikes and ride them all morning and part of the afternoon before switching to their bikes and doing some of the easy downhill sections with them.

Sure in total we spent £150 on 2 seats that’ll only last them about 2 years, but they love it.

tall_martin

My wee one is 3 and a half now, he’s been on it since he was 2.

It’s an excellent thing for exploring

Sometimes he bounces up and down on it and it shifts. It’s him jumping up and down, not being bounce about. When that happens I have to make sure the rubber lump is firmly in contact before tightening it up again.

I made some pogies out of oven gloves and some goretex. They are still on this month. My wee one frequently refuses to wear gloves and we have had several rides cut short due to cold hands.

The bike the seat was on initially was stolen. The one it is on now is much longer. He just about misses my face when he stands up :⁠-⁠)

It’s been great fun

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.