Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone with a Bikebox Alan in the Chester / Wrexham area I could have a look at?
  • GasmanJim
    Free Member

Considering buying one and would like to see one in the flesh first, without driving all the way to Rotherham if possible.

Could you email me at james.kenningham@talktalk.net

Thanks.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ring Alf’s tomorrow James ,after 10…I think there’s one of them (Gaz’s) in the back. xx The Beard.
    Edit…I just got your username 😳

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Gaz’s is a Scicon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Booooo.In my defence it looks like a box…that you could put a bike in.

simondbarnes

If no-one more local has one then Bikeshak in Altrincham have several in that you’d be welcome to look at.

metalheart
    Free Member

Interested in what you make of them when you see them, I’m tempted to get one myself….

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Thanks for the Bikeshak tip. That looks like half the drive I’d have had to make to Rotherham.

James

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Well I called in at Bike Shak today and had a look at a BB Alan (thanks chaps).

Generally very impressed. Very very thick plastic material and very rigid. Rather like the tough cases musical instruments such as cellos are transported in. Not quite as exquisitely finished as the German B&W bike case I have but rather more robust and agricultural, which is really what’s needed between a nice bike and a baggage handler. The one I saw had been on plenty of trips and was still in VGC. Felt it could do with an extra catch on one side, but looking at the website it looks as though the new ones do have that extra catch in just the right place. Plenty of room for my 56cm Cervelo, especially if the front end of the bike goes at the taller end of the box (the opposite way round to the orientation demonstrated in the “how to pack a BB Alan” on you tube) as I then don’t have to remove the stem, just the bars. Also, putting the bike in my way round makes better use of the otherwise redundant recess in the base of the case for the chain set / chain stay. The only issue with my orientation is that some of the straps might not be ideally positioned, but I suspect that’s easily changed. (Of course the benefit of Alan’s orientation is that it would allow the case to fit a frame with an integrated seat post). Weight is around 11kgs including foam padding.

Provided that the 5th catch is part of the current design and if I can sort out some extra straps I think I’ll buy one. I’ve emailed Alan to ask. Now what colour? Definitely not pink.

Hope this helps any other potential BB Alan shoppers.

James

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

Do you not specify where the straps are to go to suit the frame?

Do you think it could be easily used for a mtb as well? Don’t know how to fix the (non QR) wheels though…

GasmanJim
    Free Member

I reckon it would be fine for an mtb, but check your wheelbase length carefully to give an idea of how much dismantling you’ll have to do. Rotating the forks 180 degrees can effectively shorten the wheelbase but might mean the front caliper has to be removed (that’s how I got my FS bike into a smallish case). As for the non-QR wheels couldn’t you use the maxle and just enlarge the hole in the case a bit, or even better buy some long coach bolts and use them to hold the wheels in the box (saves any chance of losing the maxle)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone with a Bikebox Alan in the Chester / Wrexham area I could have a look at?’ is closed to new replies.