• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by FB-ATB.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone watching Pistol on Disney+?
  • Bazz

Apologies if there is a thread on this already, but i couldn’t find one. I’m half way through the series at the moment and it’s not too bad at all, quite enjoying it. Johnny Rotten comes across pretty well in it I thought, not really getting what John Lydon has against it, though I’ve often thought that he comes across as a half decent person doing his best to be a pillock, odd.

tillydog
    Free Member

About 3 episodes in and it seems ok. Looking forward to the rest.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not yet but I’m going to have to subscribe so I can. I’ve read Steve Jones’ autobiography (think Pistol is based on it?) and going for a pedal has never been the same 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

About 3 episodes in and it seems ok. Looking forward to the rest.

Is the whole series not available yet? Don’t want to be subscribing for multiple months if I can avoid it

Bazz

Yep whole season is available now.

Harry_the_Spider

Watched the first two. Pretty impressed so far.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Watching it but mainly through my fingers. Am I older than you lot or just more picky?

Enjoying the archive footage though, and the opportunity to go look up all the “Did so and so REALLY…?!” questions that arise…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Am I older than you lot

I don’t know. I’m 53 so only 8 or 9 when the Sex Pistols were front page news. I was vaguely aware but not in any way ‘there’ at the time

desperatebicycle

I’m not subscribing, I’m gonna download it. Johnny would approve. I’ll check on Sunday when I see PiL live 😀

sadexpunk

I’m gonna download it.

where can you download it from? i think we can swap some tesco clubcard vouchers for a months sub but if theres a download available…..

chakaping
    Free Member

not really getting what John Lydon has against it

Not getting paid, or being unable to control the narrative, I assume?

As above, it was based on Steve Jones’ book.

I wasn’t sure whether to bother, but from the comments here I think I’ll give it a go.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve just finished it – very good.

Johnny on our lounge wall approved.

Johnny

desperatebicycle

@sadexpunk you got mail

IdleJon

Watching it but mainly through my fingers. Am I older than you lot or just more picky?

I’m 53 and remember the late 70s well enough to see that this isn’t quite right. Or rather, isn’t quite right compared to what I think it should look like, but I wasn’t involved in that scene being only 8 or 9! There’s a similar thread on one of the guitar forums where somebody posted an actual picture of McLaren, Westwood, Hynde and a few others. If asked I would have said that it was a modern recreation of a 70s photo, but it wasn’t.

When I watch anything at all based in the 80s, which I remember much more clearly, obviously, it very definitely looks wrong. Last night, I caught the section of Bohemian Rhapsody where Queen were at Live Aid. So many slightly incorrect details! (Hairstyles in the crowd were wrong, etc). So, either I don’t let myself watch anything based during my lifetime, or just accept that it’s not correct because it was decades ago and is ancient history to most people. 😀

Harry_the_Spider

3 episodes in now and enjoying it. I was 8 at the time, so whilst I was vaguely aware of them I had no idea of the story.

Observations:

Chrissie Hynde had terrible taste in men.
    Lydon’s accent keeps slipping, or was the sneering and snarling all an act?
    I won’t be able to look at Arya Stark in the same light again.

IdleJon

I was 8 at the time, so whilst I was vaguely aware of them I had no idea of the story.

I was more aware of the nicknames – Rotten, Vicious – then any music, or fashion until a few years later. But I’m sure I remember an animated TV thing with the Pistols as animals -Sid Vicious as a snake? The more I think about this, the more I think I’ve imagined it. Off to Google…

Harry_the_Spider

Finished it this morning. Excellent, if ultimately sad.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Oh good *IdleJohn*, not just me then!
    MD/late 50s so remember listening to punk on the radio in the bath and grumbling because it wasn’t Abba 😉

The Hynde/Jones stuff has been literally sexed up, I understand.

What drives me nuts is it’s not as if there isn’t HOURS AND HOURS of footage showing what they all looked and acted like!

chakaping
    Free Member

Finished watching this last night.

It really came together in the later episodes and had some excellent performances I thought – particularly Nancy, Malcolm and the lad playing Steve Jones held it all together well.

What spoiled it for me a bit, was the idea popping into my head that Sid was being played as Neil from The Inbetweeners. Anyone else see that?

desperatebicycle

I finished it the other day, enjoyed the series as a piece of “based on a true story” TV. Nancy was nowhere near as annoying as the real one and far too attractive (the actress is good in Everything I Know About Love though)! But then most of the characterisation was a bit loose.
    I thought the best bits were the least well know parts of the story, like Johnny caring for the mentally damaged girl and Steve’s relationship with Chrissie. The rest has become a bit cliched for me, but I’m sure there are some new to it all.

BillOddie

I watched it all over a couple of nights, I enjoyed it to be honest, it wasn’t amazing but it was decent enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah it was a bit basic at points, especially in the earlier episodes, but I think it helped to remember it was telling the story from Steve’s POV rather than trying to be an objectively accurate dramatisation of events.

There were some really good moments of emotional depth and some inventive direction that was up with some of Boyle’s best work.

kerbdog
    Free Member

Glee for punks.

desperatebicycle

I guess you’d know. I’ve never seen Glee

FB-ATB

I thought the best bits were the least well know parts of the story, …Steve’s relationship with Chrissie

Least well known as I think that part falls under the “made up for the tv”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.