Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone watching Emma
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Quite enjoying it as I do like a bit of period drama, but two things are bugging me:

1) The village street scenes just look too immaculate – more like a Hollywood studio built interpretation of an English village rather than the real thing

2) Emma's looks (and possibly her manner) are just too 20th century.

Is it just me and Mrs M or do others have the same issues?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Not normally a fan of these programmes but I'm giving it a chance and I'm really enjoying it. My wife has read the book and she says its a pretty good version.

1) The village is clean but you have to remember its not That London but a small village full of rich folk and as such is unlikely to have feces running down the gutter.

2) I cant see how her looks are 20th century but if the programme is a good reproduction of the book (and I have no reason to doubt my wife) then I can see how her manner is at all 20th century.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nah, there's only so many times a man can stomach Jane Austin 🙂

JulianA
    Free Member

MsJA and I think it's excellent.

+1 for it being a very good version.

Hope the DVD is out before Christmas – gonna be agood pressie for MrsJA if it is.

Ian Munro – Member
    Nah, there's only so many times a man can stomach Jane Austin

Remind me when the last one was on TV?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Like Ian, I feel as if I have seen quite a lot of adaptations of what are not life-changing novels.

However, my ancient telly, shonky DVD player and creaking digi-box are playing up, so I had the sound from it coming out across a film I was trying to watch on DVD the other day. So I'm not entirely missing out. 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

1) The village is clean but you have to remember its not That London but a small village full of rich folk and as such is unlikely to have feces running down the gutter

I think that's part of the problem. In that era there would be a few rich families owning the big estates in the area and the rest would be pretty poor. There were no such things as commuter belts then. Possibly not faeces in the streets but certainly some tatty houses and a number of grimy people

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I haven't read the book, but I did see the film version with Mrs Coldplay in the main role.

Two very different interpretations, both convincing in their own way. The actress in the TV version is playing it more precosciously – the film version was more restrained.

I also remember the exact point during "Clueless" when I suddenly realised what I was actually watching… 😯

Thinking about it, it's possible that the new version takes it's lead from the "Emma" (Cher) in Clueless.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Yes through a powerful night vision lens

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Oooops just read the rest of the thread – thought you meant Emma down are street – no the Tv programme is Ok

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and possibly her manner

The character was originally written to be like that apparently.

jahwomble
    Free Member

period chicklit…….nowt more.

Drac

Remind me when the last one was on TV?

Not long enough ago.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I'm watching Emma. She's busy trying to catch a pigeon. Crazy cat!

rkk01
    Free Member

… thought this was a stalking thread….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching Emma’ is closed to new replies.