Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Anyone watch The Crown? I can’t decide if it’s good or not
  • Premier Icon IHN

I’m about four or five episodes in, they’ve just quashed Margeret’s romance with the Group Captain fella.

Anyway, I can’t decide if it’s good in a slow kind of way (which I don’t mind, I like series that take a while to get going), or just a bit dull. Anyone else watch? Will it get going a bit more?

Premier Icon martinhutch

Liz rips off her skinsuit to reveal her true lizard form in the middle of season 2. 🙂

Good but slow is the name of the game. I got a lot of enjoyment from the performances and the overall production.

Premier Icon IHN

Ah, okay. I think the ‘single plot-line per episode’ thing is getting to me a bit, feels a bit simplistic, but maybe it needs to get a few plot-lines going to start mingling them a bit later on?

Premier Icon yetidave
    Free Member

first two series were good, lost its way a bit in the third.

Premier Icon binners

Has it got any exploding helicopters?

Premier Icon martinhutch

My understanding is that Michael Bay was brought in to guest direct a couple of the season 4 episodes.

Premier Icon IHN

Dunno, but I’m guessing there’ll be at least one crashed Mercedes.

Premier Icon binners

No spoilers, but you’ll never guess what happens when Andy goes to visit his mate Jeffrey on his private Island?

Mrs Binners loves the Crown, but then she loves all manner of things on the tellybox that I’d file under the ‘I’d rather remove my own teeth with an angle grinder’ category. She feels the same about me watching Nazi Megastructures.

Actually… would you not just be better off watching Nazi Megastructures? You’re a bloke, after all. Why are you watching programmes about Princess Margaret? Actually… if you’re watching programmes about the nazi’s, theres a good chance a member of the royal family might make a cameo appearance

Premier Icon P-Jay

There’s a strange scene in series 4, which goes to some incredible lengths to describe in great detail a Prince’s visit to Pizza Express. It’s really strange, nothing noteworthy happens, but the makers are really keen to show the exact time and date. It’s almost as if they’re trying to give someone an alibi or something!

Premier Icon martinhutch

Nazi Megastructures?

Stop talking about Philip’s extended family like that.

Premier Icon P-Jay

Actually joking aside, it’s a beautifully made, well acted drama about a subject I don’t really find interesting, but seeing historical events from the viewpoint of the Royals is interesting, even if it’s only a drama.

Series 3, Episode 3 ‘Aberfan’ brought tears to my eyes. It’s a story, a disaster and a scandal that is etched into the memory of everyone in Wales I think, and it was told respectfully.

Premier Icon Trimix

Spoiler alert – there are no mountain bikes in it.

Premier Icon timmys

It’s great.

As I’m sure everyone knows, the next series has Gillian Anderson as Thatcher, which is going to be, errr, ‘confusing’.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Series 3, Episode 3 ‘Aberfan’ brought tears to my eyes. It’s a story, a disaster and a scandal that is etched into the memory of everyone in Wales I think, and it was told respectfully.

Certainly one of the most powerful pieces of drama I’ve seen in the past few years. They made the effort to take the time to introduce families from the village in the build-up, rather than make it all from the perspective of others.

Likewise the build-up to the investiture of the Prince of Wales was fascinating.

It really is a beautifully made series, with some outstanding performances from the leads. A few of the episodes flag slightly, but overall the quality is exceptional.

the next series has Gillian Anderson as Thatcher, which is going to be, errr, ‘confusing’.

That will undercut certain delaying strategies.

Premier Icon P-Jay

the next series has Gillian Anderson as Thatcher, which is going to be, errr, ‘confusing’.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/left-wing-masturbators-accept-challenge-of-gillian-anderson-as-margaret-thatcher-20201005201171

Premier Icon IHN

You’re a bloke, after all. Why are you watching programmes about Princess Margaret?

Yeah, why am I watching someone play Princess Margaret?

null

Premier Icon chestrockwell

My Mrs loves it so I by default have seen some of it.

Not really my cup of tea at all but better than a lot of the similar stuff she watches. They don’t sugar coat it as much as I expected and some episodes are quite powerful in a soapy kind of way.

Premier Icon nbt
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the first two series, thought the acting and production values were excellent. Looking foward to seasons 3 and 4 though Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher is going to prove a challenge

The X-Flies was HOW long ago?

Premier Icon mefty
    Free Member

Very inaccurate from a historical perspective, but a fine drama with some very good performances. I don’t find it slow at all.

Premier Icon dakuan
    Free Member

missus likes the costumes

Premier Icon nuke

Really enjoy it. Think the casting is very good albeit Claire Foy & Vanessa Kirby in season 1 & 2 were better than Olivia Coleman & Helena Bonham Carter in season 3

Premier Icon franksinatra

The quality of production is outstanding

Premier Icon Pauly
    Free Member

As someone who believes in massively slimming down the monarchy, I’m looking at you Princess Michael of Kent, if not get rid of the lot of them, I enjoyed it immensely. Great television!

Premier Icon martinhutch

Matt Smith was fantastic as Prince Philip – mainly the mannerisms and gait.

Premier Icon footflaps

I have absolutely no interest in the Royal Family, hence not watched any of it, however I am vaguely tempted by the latest season, just for Gillian Anderson…

Premier Icon joepud

Very inaccurate from a historical perspective, but a fine drama with some very good performances. I don’t find it slow at all.

The quality of production is outstanding

basically sums it up for me. Zero interest in the royal family but the level production and detail is unreal. I feel like everyone should at least try it.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

Dunno, but I’m guessing there’ll be at least one crashed Mercedes.

An exploding boat in the new series, I would think.

I must admit, my interest waned after Claire Foy left.

Premier Icon DezB

What footflaps said. Apart from the Gillian Anderson bit.

I’m watching an old lady have polyps removed from her gut at the mo. There’s so many things I’d spend time with before I’d consider the Royals.

Premier Icon Caher

As above the Aberfan and Harold Wilson episode was pretty decent. I was made to watch it but don’t feel I lost any hours. Much worse on Netflix.

Premier Icon tenfoot

Yeah, why am I watching someone play Princess Margaret?

Bloody amazing performance too. Much better than her replacement in S3.

Premier Icon martinhutch

As above the Aberfan and Harold Wilson episode was pretty decent.

I’m finding the portrayals of the various prime ministers as interesting as the royals themselves. Lithgow as Churchill was an inspired bit of casting, but Eden, MacMillan, Wilson and Heath were fascinating too.

Have to agree on Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret. Can’t see it, especially after Vanessa Kirby.

The depictions of Charles and particularly Anne were great, though.

Premier Icon tenfoot

Aside from the attraction of watching Vanessa Kirby, my main reason for watching was the history and events that took place before and around my childhood.

As mentioned above, the Aberfan episode in S3 was incredible TV. I knew something about it anyway, but the episode really stirred the emotions.

I also liked the stuff with George VI too as I didn’t really know much about him. As usual, Jared Harris is brilliant.

Premier Icon IHN

As usual, Jared Harris is brilliant.

…and, as usual, dies.

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

No spoilers, but you’ll never guess what happens when Andy goes to visit his mate Jeffrey on his private Island?

You got to be kidding.

I watched the first couple of seasons. It was well made, pretty slow. I just couldn’t be bothered keeping on with it, but I have no quarrel with people who think it’s one of the best dramas of recent years.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.