Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Anyone want to watch the Go-Pro footage of me breaking my arm at Swinley?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did you land with your arms stuck out like sticks ? Did you not roll with the fall ?

Strange thing is I remember going OTB and landing head first, nothing like the video! I think my minds playing tricks based on hitting the ground, then doing a foreward roll with the bike attached to end up faceing the wrong way.

I reckon he had actually fallen asleep on that bit of trail…

Alright, can we stop knocking Swinley, it’s a flat/climb that links two better sections, the camera was only on as it was it’s first trip out so i was filming everything! Is there ever good footage of climbing?

theotherjonv

I keep trying to watch the clip but every time I start someone phones me up. Then when i get to the phone, there’s no-one there.

Is it a bad one Sam? Healing vibes.

thepurist

Just too darned dry there at the mo – a small slide on the loose stuff and bam you’re down. GWS fella.

FWIW that bit is the replacement for a proper old school Swinley section of twisty rooty singletrack with a few ups and downs which (particularly in the wet) was more of a challenge. Then they decided to close that off and rebuild it (easier) as the new black bit, and replace it with a flat and pointlessly meandering section where the only challenge is going faster.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maxtorque

The new flat pack at Swinley is so dam, er, packed, that going down on it is like hitting concrete!

granny_ring

Ouch. get well soon.
    My last off was something similar to that, front end washed out on the first corner in the first bit of singletrack after the top of The Wal climb. I put it down to bad technique due to being unfit and done in from the climb.

Shoulder still hurts lol.

nickc

Slow speed crashes are always the worst hop it mends soon.

Footage does make Swinley look dull doesn’t it? 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it a bad one Sam?

Not particularly, but due to the beurocratic understaffed nightmare that is the NHS (I’ve nothing but praise for the frontline staff that are there) it meant a 3 night stay in hospital.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Where is this Swinley place? Holland?

Legoman
    Free Member

For all those knocking Swinley…. you’re right, it’s rubbish. Not worth you treking over there and clogging up the trails. You should all stay away. Especially on Saturday mornings, you’d hate it on Saturday mornings. 8)

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Unlucky about the arm, hope it heels quick!

I went to Swinley for the first time about a month ago. Its really flat and not quite as technical as the stuff up North. Really good fun though, its fast and flowy. Really good to learn berms too, most places im just getting the hang of them as im leaving, here its just berm after berm.

I got there and was gutted to see you had to ride the blue to do the red, expexting fire roads all the way but it was actually alot of fun and warms you up for the slightly more technical red.

rhayter

I went to Swinley this weekend for the first time in about two years, Yes, it’s pretty flat (the climbs are generally short and steep) but it’s a load of fun. It’s not twiddling-your-way-down-Yorkshire-bedrock-type technical, but there are a couple of cheeky bits (on the red) that (particularly if you don’t know they’re coming) will test you – steep, off camber chutes (but short). The blue is a laugh – fast, flat, berm-central. Red starts half-way around the blue. So if you go Blue-Red-Blue (which seems to be the thing to do), you get a fun warm up, followed by a longer, more challenging ride, and a fun run in to the car park. Didn’t go to the Jump Gully or Downhill Skills course as I’m old and was knackered. Going Blue-Red-Blue is about 15 miles, apparently. It is really hard-packed at the moment but the right tyres will give you loads of grip (unless you hit a bit of gravel, as we’ve all seen). I rode a hardtail 29er and only wished for a FS bike just twice.

wl
    Free Member

Presumably you fell asleep at the bars on that trail. However it happened, hope it heals quick.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hope it heals soon – I hate flat corners … dangerous things

thepurist

Yes folks we all know how great the north is and how every trail is a technical rock strewn steep descent, and there aren’t miles of dull straight double track joining up the few interesting bits that everyone bangs on about, but tinas’ vid was more about breaking his arm in a daft way rather than showcasing how bad southern riding is. Ok?

rhayter

thepurist by name…

You’re right though. I hope the arm heals swiftly and well.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to watch the Go-Pro footage of me breaking my arm at Swinley?’ is closed to new replies.