Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Anyone want to car / trip share? Alps – This summer
  • maxtorque

Have stuck my email (spammy one) into my profile, so grab it from there folks! (hopefully avoid death by spam from posting in a forum?? 😉

Perhaps we should start a list? Add yours on and lets see if we can see what sort of numbers we might get! (quote list in your post)

1 – MaxTorque – July – XC 50% / DH 50% – 150mm AM bike – DRIVE: ESTATE CAR with 1 spare seat/bike space

maxtorque

Hopefully everyone has or is about to, receive an email from me confirming all the people i’ve now heard from via email!

So far, we are 6, assuming that we can find a mutualibly agreeable date for the trip etc

The consensus seems to be either Bike Village or White room so far (pending availibility)?

mrhoppy

If you’re going that June/July week I’d be interested too, just waiting to hear whether my recently sprogged mate is allowed out before I’m sure.

maxtorque

Email me to get on the “un-usual suspects” list mrhoppy! 😉

mrhoppy

You should have mail.

maxtorque

Received! You’re on the guest list 😉

So, lets discuss!

Someone mentioned earlier, they had checked at white room had availibility in late June / early July?

Would anyone be unhappy with going with them?

mrhoppy

I’d be keen to go with White Room, their itinerary looks good and they have space the week beginning the 29th June.

rocco

I looked at White Room and they have good availability week of 29th June. Ok some questions to get things rolling.

Where are people in the country?

What dates are people looking to go out?

What type of riding are people after? (I’m guessing nice rolling singletrack, no big DH stuff, by everyone’s reply so far)

Price, how much are people looking to pay?

Travel, drive, fly or train? Got a car or hire a van?

Any preference on company?

wallop

When do the lifts open? 7th July again?

mrhoppy

There are some lifts open the week of the 29th but not all according to stevo.

After having easy jet break my brakes last year I’d rather drive, I’m in Shrewsbury, I’ve got an estate so could probably take 2 others. Looking for endless downhill pointing singletrack (happy to earn it) but not so much DH (grrr) riding. Pay what it costs but WR appear to be cheapest. 29th June suits me best with work stuff.

Chris

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Maxtorque – ygm 🙂

maxtorque

Estate car here too, so that would be another two people sorted – Northampton based, but obviously can pick people up on way down south etc!

Biscuit Powered now on guest list 😉

Consesus seems to be go with WR in early July? I guess we need to check the availibility / lifts situation with them.

ta,

MT.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some of our best riding with White Room didn’t really use lifts, they have some other means 🙂

mooseface
    Free Member

WR sounds good, nothing but good reviews from what iv read. And early July shouldn’t be a problem.

Only problem for me I did see on another tread saying not to take a XC bike which is what iv got (giant anthem 100mm) what are people’s thoughts?

I’m on the bucks/beds border. Not far from you maxtorque

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mooseface – I’d suggest talking to Stevo about it but generally the trails in the area are not mental DH trails but more like long versions of UK mountain trails. When we were there people had a big range of stuff including 100mm HT’s. How you cope will depend on how you ride, there were multiple groups out when we were there all doing similar stuff at their pace or slightly different stuff.

Would suggest a tyre upgrade though 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just drop us an email with any questions guys.

Can I just add, since I’ve seen it mentioned on here a few times recently:

Please don’t take bikes up the Grande Sassiere. It’s just a shitty, pointless thing to do. Trust me, it is nowhere near as much fun as it may appear in that very selectively-edited video.

Huge chunks of it would be unrideable for most people, both up and down. Part of the track is (albeit briefly) in a nature reserve in which bikes are banned. The environment up there is very fragile and very easily damaged. Most people would in full-on lock-up mode, digging huge trenches if they tried to ride down the summit cone.

rocco

Moose – I did Morzine last year on 100m HT so you’ll be fine. Just make sure you have good tyres and brakes 🙂

I’m in South Wales and happy to drive, not got an estate though so only be able to take 1 other. Happy with WR and end June/early July is good for me.

maxtorque

stevomcd
    Just drop us an email with any questions guys

Hi Steve. Hopefully i can corral a suitable date for a week in july out of the people i’ve spoken too, so far there are 8 people interested (inc me). I’ll bat you an email towards the end of the week if we can get to some sort of consensus! Do you know of any lift restrictions or similar that might impact any trip in early this year btw?

Cheers,

MT.

mrhoppy

Looks like the option for a group of any size is either 15th June or 29th June unless you go for September.

snaps
    Free Member

I’m happy with any date, but my concern with early season would be snow melt – Zermatt in June was still full of skiers!

stevomcd
    Free Member

MT – there won’t be any lifts open during the 15th June week. We do uplifts with van/Landy + trailers. For the week of the 29th June, most lifts in the valley will be open, should be able to ride chairlifts every day with a bit of planning. It’s been a big snow year again, but too early to say if there’ll be any snow issues early season. It really all comes down to the weather in April/May. Last year we had both a really big snow year and a very cold and snowy April, so there were only a handful of weeks for snow to melt before the season. It’s unlikely to happen that way again! Certainly by the week of 29th June, there’ll be no problems.

We may be able to squeeze in a larger group for one of the August weeks where there’s a few spaces – let me know when you’ve got your numbers finalised and I can tell you what the options are.

Doug
    Free Member

Please don’t take bikes up the Grande Sassiere. It’s just a shitty, pointless thing to do. Trust me, it is nowhere near as much fun as it may appear in that very selectively-edited video.

Huge chunks of it would be unrideable for most people, both up and down. Part of the track is (albeit briefly) in a nature reserve in which bikes are banned. The environment up there is very fragile and very easily damaged. Most people would in full-on lock-up mode, digging huge trenches if they tried to ride down the summit cone.
    Fair enough. Might still go up on foot.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Just to add my situation:

I live in Southampton but my folks live in Kent not a million miles from Dover so could meet somewhere easily for driving.

I don’t mind driving, however I own 2 cars:

1 – 22 year old Renault
    2 – 13 year old Citroen

Do you feel lucky? 😯

Oh, and one of them has no air con, the other has broken air con 😆

I do however have a towbar mounted bike rack which can take 2 or perhaps 3 bikes.

maxtorque

I’m waiting to hear back from people as to their prefered dates BTW, so please take a look at the WR booking page and let me know. Currently best slot looks to be in early August!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to car / trip share? Alps – This summer’ is closed to new replies.