Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Anyone want to car / trip share? Alps – This summer
  • maxtorque

Hey all,

I’m looking to book a week in the Alps this summer, with one of the usual suspects in trail guiding (not decided who yet). It will be my first time, but all my usual riding buddies are being too useless so i’m wondering if anyone would like to car share and/or trip share. I was thinking of driving (so i can take loads of stuff), so i would have a spare seat and bike space too. So if anyone was thinking of “going alpine” this summer and would like to join me, let me know 🙂

Ta,

maxtorque

BUMP!

(for people just out of bed on a sunday… 😉

timraven

Already booked flights & accommodation to Les Gets, think there’s still room in the chalet, if that appeals July 14-21.

Doug
    Free Member

Got space for 1 for 2 weeks in Les Arcs in July.

maxtorque

Cool offers guys thanks, i guess ideally i’d like to car share too?

What are the dates in July Doug?

mrhoppy

I’m thinking of going out for a week 31st August to do a back country week with White Room and was thinking of driving.

maxtorque

I would prefer to go in july or early august really, god i’m difficult to please…. 😉

Doug
    Free Member

Picking a mate up in Brum 6-7pm on Fri 12th and getting back very late on Sun 28th. Actually got space for 2 in comfort in the monster MPV ( I’m 6ft4 and fit comfortably in all the seats) but only one bed space in the apartment. Weve both been before and know our way round well and will also be doing day trips over to La Thuile, Tignes, Beaufort, 3 Valleys, trip to watch the tour?

If the dates work and mail me if your interested in either catching a lift or to see about coming with us for a bargain fortnight if riding styles/experience match up.

maxtorque

Cheers Doug, i’ll take a look at my diary and try to work out my summer plan (it’s a bit confused as i will be starting a new job around that time too……..)
    What sort of riding split do you like to do between Climbing/XC/DH etc?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I’d be up for car sharing down to the fun french trails with another sad loner! Pretty much completely flexible on dates.

Doug
    Free Member

Mainly Trail Addiction style riding but over a much larger are, lift assisted trail/enduro riding so not much climbing, xc or DH track abuse. Think Snowdon Ranger/Rhyd Ddu if you could take your bike on the train. Probably no more than a few hundred metres climbing max most days just to get to the best trails like this. I’ll be taking a 7″ FR bike with Totems with the other rider taking a 951 hence the low amount of climbing. Was thinking of taking the 6″ trail bike as well for the odd backcountry earn your descents day but tbh it would probably just sit in the apartment every day due to the number of lift systems in the area and me being a few pounds overweight. This is my 40th birthday trip so not an out and out DH trip, more a trail and big mountain trip using sturdy bikes. Hopefully finish the fortnight seeing how far we can get up Grande Sassiere if weather permits.

Doug
    Free Member

Doug
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, looking at £350-£375 for travel and accommodation depending on how much fuel we use/prices at time of going. Food an lift passes extra. We’ll be hitting the Super U and Lidl as soon as we get there and mixing self catering with eating out.

663sqd
    Free Member

Have a look at ‘wildbike’ . . They are running trips, and I think have minibus with trailer going down there. . V good company I had a hol with them last year. . I think youll be on price at 375. .

wallop

Doug, we are going to Les Arcs on exactly the same dates as you! Where are you staying?

Doug
    Free Member

Wallop, were stopping in Les Glieres apartments just round the corner from the funicular in Bourg. Was going to camp but the apartment prices have come down by about a quarter this year so the extra comfort doesnt cost much more. You?

Twin
    Free Member

Also going the same time, 11 of us in a mix of Van (with 3 people and all the gear) and 8 of us flying to Geneva. Staying in Villandry, the Himalaya (not sure if Trail addiction used to use the same place?).

Doug
    Free Member

It’s much more scenic up in Vallandry, just dont miss the last chairlift 😉

Twin
    Free Member

I’ve got a stem captain clock to make sure we’re at 1600 before the lifts close!

wallop

Doug, the Husband and I are camping again but we might have some friends coming who want an apartment – is that a block you’re in? I’ll google…

dickie
    Free Member

maxtorque – please drop me an email – details in profile.

tomstickland
    Free Member

Join us in Morzine if you want. We had 22 riders last year.
    http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/summer-alps-trip-2013-morzine/

Doug
    Free Member

Wallop, stopping in similar but slightly smaller apartment in the same block as this. Literally a few hundred meters from the funicular and 5 mins walk from town centre. Has own pool.

torihada
    Free Member

Doug – Member

Wallop, stopping in similar but slightly smaller apartment in the same block as this. Literally a few hundred meters from the funicular and 5 mins walk from town centre. Has own pool.

Wotcha Doug, just nipped over from t’other site…sssh. Where did you keep your bikes? In the apartment or is there a secure garage?

Doug
    Free Member

We keep them locked in the apartment. There is a ski locker type room but it’s shared between that many apartments I wouldn’t leave a bike in there. You looking at a DIY trip this time? If your in resort at the same time give us a shout as I’m sure we could sort out some mega point to point back country stuff up around Lac de Roselend with 2 cars 😉

torihada
    Free Member

We keep them locked in the apartment. There is a ski locker type room but it’s shared between that many apartments I wouldn’t leave a bike in there. You looking at a DIY trip this time? If your in resort at the same time give us a shout as I’m sure we could sort out some mega point to point back country stuff up around Lac de Roselend with 2 cars

I’ll be in Chatel for a week at start of July with ‘the crew’, 18 of us, big bikes, catered with guides. This query is for family bike trip. Will probably camp like last year, though that apartment price was pretty good.

jasperb
    Free Member

Hi, I have a question about camping in the PDS area, do campsites have secure bike storage facilities?
    I intend to go there on the cheap this summer and I quite like camping anyway provided there’s proper hot showers…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not seen any in PDS, we had a van and locked stuff in there with us.

maxtorque

Hey Guys, appologies as i mean’t to catch up with this thread earlier in the week!

Doug, you trip sounds ace! But, i’m a little bit worried that i might be a bit of an anchor, as it’ll be my first Alps experience and i’m only going to be rocking a 140mm bike ;-(

I have a feeling that one of the commercial outfits might be better for a first timer? As they are more geared up to guiding people with different abilities / speeds etc?

So, perhaps i need to find a carshare with someone who wants to join one of the comercial groups for a week in mid/late July?
    I’d say probably starting the week slowly with some XC, then moving to a bit more gravity stuff as the week continues, followed by ending on some mild DH stuff if i haven’t broken myself by then 😉

The MTB swindon group looks good too!

bland

Doug, we will be out there the same time as you, either camping or getting a chalet if i can find somewhere affordable that isnt a hovel.

Give us a shout if you fancy any back country trecks, we are looking to do the same and will all be driving so have cars/vans and have a decent grip on the area. We were thinking of a night or two in a refuge too, however still TBC, out there 20-29th July

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maxtorque

Would suggest you have a look at white room as they were perfect with different ability people.

Doug
    Free Member

Bland YHM

dickie
    Free Member

maxtorque – like I said above, drop me an email, I’m in exactly the same boat as you.

mooseface
    Free Member

maxtorque or dickie, im looking to do this this summer. was tempting on going it alone on a guided week. email me (emails in profile) and hopefully we can sort something out.

rocco

Max/Dickie/Moose I’m in the same boat. All my riding buddies are either busy or being lame and don’t want to go out so would be interested in getting something together if you fancy it? Email in profile if you fancy it

maxtorque

OK, maybe we can make it a STW meetup? Looks like there might be a few of us? DO you think it might be worth trying to find one of the usual guiding suspects (trail addiction, whiteroom, bike village etc) and maybe get say 4 places booked for a week?

rocco

Just been looking at White Room and they have good availability for week 29th Iune to 6th July. If there were a couple it could be better to drive a car/possible hire van to get down.

snaps
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, went with Whiteroom last year & the Mega in ADH – want to do 2 or 3 trips this year – not DH but a mix of enduro/XC type stuff, drive or fly – email in profile.

dickie
    Free Member

Maxtorque – whats your email address?

dickie
    Free Member

Mooseface, rocco, & snaps – YGM
    OP – email in profile – I’ve been trying to make contact for 4 days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to car / trip share? Alps – This summer’ is closed to new replies.