Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone want to be a mountain bike guide on a cruise ship?
  • GrahamS
    perchypanther
    Free Member

Nah, the tight switchback down the stairwells would be too much for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Guiding gin sozzled OAPs on an arthritic, asthmatic wheeze fest of a bimble around the docks?

Er, no thanks.

scotroutes

C’mon CF. If you put in some training you’d soon be fit enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Flashy’s just terrified in case the pensioners are wearing cooler shoes than him. 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

I know some people who’ve done it and had a great time 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Cruise ship?
    I’d rather self inflict than set foot on one of those hell holes

hot_fiat

My ex used to demonstrate glass blowing on Celebrity Solstice. She had an amazing time plodding around the world for about 18 months. Right up to the point where she got drunk onboard in the crew bar one night & got breathalised the next morning before starting work. She was quite literally thrown off at the next port. Thankfully it happend to be Lisbon & so she was able to get a flight back to OZ relatively easily. They’re a pretty brutal working environment.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d do it!
    Love the way they can come up with bollocks like this: “we’ll be looking to you to take accountability for helping us to establish this new offering within our excursion programme.” but can’t put crucial info like duh, the salary! in the ad. 😕

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Could be pretty awesome if the cruise was visiting the ports on my one and only cruise from August 2008, ports like…
    Bergen
    Hellesylt
    Geiranger
    Aalesund
    Akureyri
    Reykjavik

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but can’t put crucial info like duh, the salary! in the ad.

If you have to ask they can’t afford you.

hot_fiat

In the ship-board entertainment industry isn’t it:

If you have to ask they you can’t afford you it?

Stil, at least it’ll be tax-free poverty.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

On the face of it, getting paid to be shipped around and ride somewhere different with your time at sea spent tinkering with the bikes sounds like a great way to spend a few months, even if the money is rubbish. But there are some interesting additional duties around hosting social events and supporting other excursion teams makes it sound like a general dogs-body who can fix a puncture.

Worryingly they aren’t asking for any guiding, mechanic or first aid qualifications! A load of oaps having a go at “mountain biking” is bound to end in one if them having a medical emergency.

bikebouy
    Free Member

gastromonkey – Member
    On the face of it, getting paid to be shipped around and ride somewhere different with your time at sea spent tinkering with the clients sounds like a great way to spend a few months

FIFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Worryingly they aren’t asking for any guiding, mechanic or first aid qualifications! A load of oaps having a go at “mountain biking” is bound to end in one if them having a medical emergency.

er they are

MBLA Mountain Bike Trail Leader Award or similar is desirable

natrix
    Free Member

Andy from Purple Bike Shed did this for a while if anybody wants to know what it will be like

http://www.purplebikeshed.com/

benp1

To be honest, I think it sounds pretty good

If you’re up for something like that, and it suits your personal life, it’s pretty ideal

zilog6128

But there are some interesting additional duties around hosting social events and supporting other excursion teams makes it sound like a general dogs-body who can fix a puncture.

If you’ve never been on a cruise, all the hospitality staff pitch in & do a bit of everything when required. They aren’t going to pay you to ride your bike once a day & sit on your arse the rest of the time 🙂 Everyone I’ve spoken to who’s worked on a cruise ship has loved it, but it’s hard work obviously

GrahamS

If you’re up for something like that, and it suits your personal life, it’s pretty ideal

Exactly. It’s not going to make you rich. But it’d be a blast to do for a year or two (if your life circumstances allowed it).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to be a mountain bike guide on a cruise ship?’ is closed to new replies.