Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • Anyone voting liberal as a protest?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I voted leave as a protest vote. That ended well.

I don’t think you’re alone in that.

Coyote
    Free Member

As for Clegg – he is a tory in the wrong party.l  He single-handedly killed the party  He is no liberal – he is a moderate tory

I couldn’t agree more. The multi-faced **** also had the nerve to accept a knighthood for his efforts!

kimbers

I just did

Local labour council been very good, too

and to be fair Lib Dem candidate seemed great, would rather have made sure tories didnt get it but wanted to protest against brexishambles in my own tiny way

even got to say this to the local labour candidate too as she was canvasing here an hour ago

I bet shes on the blower to JC right now telling him of my dissatisfaction

pondo

I might pop Jeremy and the local Labour MP a mail to explain why I went Lib Dem, too.

ElShalimo

I voted LibDem for first time in my life (Labour voter).

I did it to stop the evil Tories taking my ward in this part of Calderdale. To be fair they are the only councillors WGAF and are actively engaging with residents throughout the year and not just at the election. Labour are crap around here and the Tories are just scum .They’ve been told off for printing lies on their election leaflets but continue to peddle lies and BS.

Kryton57

I must admit I’m shocked to see an almost status quo this morning.  I would have put £20 on the fact the conservites would have seen some losses last night.

As a general non political person I can’t understand why the populous hasn’t voted the last few months of misery lies and middirection further away from government.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Status Quo?

Lab +36

LD +41

Green  +6

Con -2

UKIP -92

Not picking up anything from UKIP will be hurting the Tories there, not a disaster but not a serious victory

As a general non political person I can’t understand why the populous hasn’t voted the last few months of misery lies and middirection further away from government.

Because as a lot of people posted on this thread they are voting on Local issues as that is what councils do. More results due in over today as some realised that counting in the middle of the night isn’t that worthwhile

Kryton57

The numbers you have posted are seats Mike, not Councils.  The balance of power has not changed measureably.  Labour & Lib Dem’s have swept up UKIP’s seats between them and whilst that might serve them well in a general election, the conservatives have maintained thier geography.   I was expecting them to have lost more based on the recent set of issues.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it’s seats, for a measure of overall change you need a longer analysis of who has historically controlled some of these areas, most will follow history not current affairs.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Don’t you realise that we, as a group, are just plain WRONG?

Everything you see and read here (and TBF, in my social circle too) is a minority view.

The country is nothing like STW

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The country is nothing like STW

No but lots of parts of the country are represented on STW, there is a full spectrum from Socilaist Worker>Guardian>Sun>Telegraph>Mail on here and some of the things that pop up remind me that it’s a varied world out there

sobriety
    Free Member

Looking at the seats, rather than the councils it does point towards labour at least regaining some of what they lost to UKIP, which hopefully will be useful/still there come the GE, whether or not it because people like Corbs, or just that UKIP is an utter shambles, I can’t say, but more likely the latter…

slowoldman

Not picking up anything from UKIP will be hurting the Tories there

I suspect they probably did, but also lost existing seats to Lib Dem and Labour.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Glad to see the tide is turning against those abhorrent Racists, all we need now is to get rid of over half the Tory Party and we’ll be on our way to becoming a nice place to live.

So, whose up for a General Election then..

hatter

It’s an interesting one.

My gut feeling is that the Conservatives have lost a fair bit of support in the centre but that this has been offset by the utter collapse of UKIP and their hard right voters ‘coming back home’  to the Tories. With the UKIP vote plummeting like that the Tories should have had a cracking night, that they haven’t should concern them.

Not a bad night for the Lib Dems but I still feel that it will take more time  before the vindication of their stance on Brexit starts to outweigh the cooaltion years in peoples’ minds.It was certainly progress.

Labour is a puzzler, very mixed bag.

somafunk

Living north of the border i don’t have a dog in the fight so to speak but i heard earlier this morning that the overall voter turnout was less than 36% and in some areas the turnout was less than 25%,  Is it time to make voting compulsory or would this lead to disinterested voters turning up and placing their mark on the first candidate they see?, i realise there is a vast swathe of the population who don’t care a toss who gets in so how can we remedy this?.

kimbers

Im not surprised at all that Labour didnt make inroads into the Tory councils

inspite of the ongoing austerity, the shambles of Brexit , windrush, resignation of Rudd etc

it just confirmed my opinion that a big chunk of the population just want to stick to fingers up to Europe & are perfectly happy for the government to treat brown folk like shit, no matter how inhumae & self-harming that ultimately is.

nickc

Anybody hear the current leader of UKIP comparing his own party to the Black Death this morning on the Today programme? surreal moment

have they got any councillors left anywhere?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

inspite of the ongoing austerity, the shambles of Brexit , windrush, resignation of Rudd etc

If you live in a tory controlled council you have probably been insulated form a lot of the cuts, had your council tax kept low etc. etc. it’s self preservation over any of the other things, heard on the radio that several asked the MP’s and ministers to stay away to keep the national level stuff out of these elections

patriotpro
    Free Member

voting for any party is like a turkey voting for xmas!

tjagain

Labour were defending the most seats and the way the seats being fought are arranged there asn’t really much possibility of big gains

Its been really funny tho watching the tories talk up labours chances beforehand so that labours moderate gains can be called a failure.  Trafford council is no longer tory – thats a big advance.

cchris2lou

if Labour had a leader with a bit of charisma , the tories would have been relegated to history books .

deviant
    Free Member

This…take Corbyn out of the equation and labour trounce the Tories…as much as the traditional Left seem to love him, huge swathes of middle England floating voters will never vote for him as he’s from the Red side of the Labour party and has some alarming allegiances with the IRA, various terror groups and dictatorships etc…for the millions that swept Labour into power in 1997 his views are unpalatable in the extreme.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1997 Labour Popular vote 13,518,167

2017 Labour Popular Vote 12,878,460

huge swathes of middle England floating voters will never vote for him

Except plenty did

kimbers

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Anybody hear the current leader of UKIP comparing his own party to the Black Death this morning on the Today programme? surreal moment

</div>
    yeah I was in the car, nearly swerved off the road!

Agreed about 2 things Corbyns lack of TV host looks & charisma

& that a lot of easily led people belive the constant stream of lies in the right wing press about the IRA etc

but plenty see through both things as irrelevant

sadly theres a large chunk have bought into the Murdoch/Dacre narrative of dastardly corbyn & agree with Tory/UKIP nationalism & general xenophobia

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How  much were the Cabinet out campaigning on this one? Labour had Corbyn out there and was focusing on it but the Tories appeared to be keeping the tainted names out of there.

tjagain

Corbyns positions are firmly in the european social democratic tradition.  All this communist / IRA stuff is simple propaganda.  His policy positions are mainstream in the rest of europe and much of the UK

El-bent
    Free Member

Red side of the Labour party and has some alarming allegiances with the IRA, various terror groups and dictatorships etc…

I’d rather see corbyn and his like gone from the labour party, but if we are making accusations here, the DUP, augusto Pinochet and the conservative party.

tjagain

And overt racism in the tory party.  18 tory councillors suspended for racism recently

4 cabinet minister resigned for lying

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

All this communist / IRA stuff is simple propaganda.

This.

theotherjonv

Anybody hear the current leader of UKIP comparing his own party to the Black Death

I don’t know……

Carried by vermin

Lives in the sewers

No-one with half an ounce of sense wants to see it return

Setting fire to it seems to be a good idea

pondo

Only thing that stopped me voting Labour was this “will of the people” balls about Brexit – if they showed even the slightest hint of considering saying no to Brexit, they get my vote. As only the Lib Dems have the minerals to say it needs thinking about, they now get my vote.

deviant
    Free Member

Mikewsmith…i believe it’s those million or so floaters in marginals that decide general elections…the stats are pretty static, something like 40% of the country vote Labour, 40% vote Tory and the rest split themselves between minor parties and drift between the two major parties deciding elections.

How many Labour members would be out on their ears for anti semitism if Dear Leader took it seriously?…Ken Livingston for one…or were those Jewish Labour MPs who spoke out lying?…the Tories are far from perfect but let’s not pretend Jezza’s ‘kinder gentler politics’ is anything other than a catchy soundbite…the party has huge problems and the swivel eyed Momentum types getting all arsey when Corbyn is criticised are hindering the cause.

It’s me that Labour need to attract to win GEs again…you may not like that but plenty of us voted for Blair in 97 but wouldn’t entertain a vote for comrade Corbyn now.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s me that Labour need to attract to win GEs again…you may not like that but plenty of us voted for Blair in 97 but wouldn’t entertain a vote for comrade Corbyn now.

Which of Corbyn’s policies do you consider to be communist?

yunki
    Free Member

you should probably stop pretending to align yourself with labour, abandon your pride and just vote tory.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a very clever and deliberate policy from sections of the media and community to blur the lines of criticism of Israel and anti semitic behaviour. That is problem number one. I’ll take the Tories seriously when they boot out their back bench for being racists.

cchris2lou

Nothing wrong with Corbyn policies .

All the IRA and communist thing is bxllocks too .

But he has zero personality , no charisma , cant speak in front of tv and is useless at PMQ .

With someone similar to T Blair or like Macron , Labour would have at least a 60 points lead in the polls .

The UK economy is not doing great , 100s of jobs cut announced everyday , wages stagning , Tory scandals and lies galore and the opposition is doing nothing , nada . Corbyn should be on Tv , radio , Twitter , Facebook everyday going nuts about it . Instead he is probably busy down his allotment ……..

kimbers

Back bench racists?

Johnson is the foreign secretary !

Point is with the kippers back in the fold, a wee bit o racism is exactly what Tory/brexit voters want to see in government

dissonance

I’ll take the Tories seriously when they boot out their back bench for being racists.

Backbenchers?

But he has zero personality , no charisma , cant speak in front of tv and is useless at PMQ .

Cant say he appeals to me but to claim he lacks personality and charisma doesnt add up. Its fairly obvious looking at the increase in Labour support amongst certain groups that he does have appeal to people. You only need to look at the abuse hurled at “corbynists” by the hard right to see that even they realise he has a certain appeal to a group. Whether that would be enough to win an election is uncertain given the dodginess of FPTP and hence how the small “centre” can swing things.

With someone similar to T Blair or like Macron

The flaw is both of those will use a bit of left wing policy to cover up for their other positions. It works for a while but sooner or later the traditional supporters realise they have been sold up the river and then start looking for anyone who cares, or pretends to. Hence why we ended up with Farage and co.

It also allows for the overton window to be shifted rightwards as they chase the right wing vote. To the point we end up resembling the lunancy of the USA as opposed to Europe with a choice of right wing or hard right.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Anybody in here been a tory luster all their days and ever voted something else? Just curious is all.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Anyone voting liberal as a protest?’ is closed to new replies.