Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone VeloBirminghamandWestMidlands-ing in May?
  • IHN

Cos according to the mail I’ve just got from them, it is only a month away. Gulp, I really have started training late. Anyway, 70 miles tomorrow, out to the River Severn from Tetbury.

How’s everyone else doing?

lunge

Waves, yes, me.
    Training has been, well, running based. I’ve not been over 50 miles since September when I did Manchester to London in 13 hours, which was also off the back of little or no cycling based training. It’s the week before a marathon I’m running so basically I’m training for the marathon and hoping historic bike fitness will mesh into general fitness from running and all will be well.
    I’m also out on the beer with an old uni mate the night before. I’m sure it’ll be fine, right?!

IHN

I’m also out on the beer with an old uni mate the night before. I’m sure it’ll be fine, right?!

Yeah, s’carb loading, innit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

Yeah, s’carb loading, innit.

That’s my justification too. 0 – 4 pints will be fine, if it goes to 5+ then there is a challenge to contend with.

igm

I’ll be there. Must start training.

Doing the Durham one too. Which is cheaper strangely.

That said, it’s only 100 miles and I’m looking to enjoy the closed roads not get a great time so I should be fine.

IHN

if it goes to 5+ then there is a challenge to contend with.

and that’ll be getting your bibshorts off in a hurry 😉

That said, it’s only 100 miles

Ooooh, get ‘im 🙂

zilog6128

Yes, really looking forward to it! Promised myself I’d get super fit for it. Haven’t. Finally got into Ride London this year though so treating VB as a training ride now! 😀

Haze

Yep I’m doing it…my first event since busting my AC joint last June, sportives not really my bag but thought it would be something to aim for.

Done lots of 1hr turbo work, not necessarily inducive to century rides but backed up by a handful of 60/70 milers should see me around.

Riding with a group who are pretty quick over shorter distances so hopefully they’ll knock it off a bit and provide me with lots of shelter.

onewheelgood

Yeah, I’m doing it. Longest ride so far is a metric ton, after which I didn’t really feel like I could do another 38 miles. But we’ve got all day, right?

igm

You’ll be fine. Seriously.

If you can ride 50 miles you can do 100 – it just takes longer.
    200 might be a different story.

lunge

If you can ride 50 miles you can do 100 – it just takes longer.
    200 might be a different story.

This, though even 200 is doable for most people assuming your saddle is comfortable. Take your time, stop and stretch if you need to and eat lots. You don’t need to finish first, you just want to finish.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

not ridden in the last 2 weeks , but have the honc tomorrow 🙂 … been doing plenty of miles , hopefully be ok for my second 100 miler in 10 years !

TedC

I’m supposed to be doing it, training is a bit behind…aiming for ~70miles tomorrow…reckon if I can do that, I should survive 100 in a month.

bigyim
    Free Member

I’ll be there too. Glad it’s not just me feeling under prepared! I’ve only got up to 53 so far. Got a long day in the saddle on Sunday at the Scott marathon so hopefully that will help then going to have to hit some 70 plus rides

squealer
    Free Member

Yep I’ll be there. I’ve done precisely 2 road rides since last year when I did ride London 😂

I had similar prep for ride London though and found that easy enough, it’s the boredom that gets me. I’m not really sure why I entered this.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I’m in again, the first Velo Birmingham was a good day out. This one goes right past my front door so I can stop off for supplies. I’m looking forward to it even with a lack of decent miles in my legs.

pedlad

Yes me and a bunch of mates doing it. Some of them are under the impression we’ll be pedalling along together. Amongst 19000 others I don’t think so!

Had avoided road bike due to carp weather for ages and doing mtb that ended at pub and weee calorie neutral at best. Got a grip a few weeks ago and went hard at the mtb hills followed by a 40. Did a slow 92 last weekend for stamina and had planned simililar for tomorrow but had a crappy throat/head virus thing all week so will take it steady. Good luck to all doing it.

butcher

Doing the Durham one too. Which is cheaper strangely.

That said, it’s only 100 miles…

I’ve not really looked at the route, but I think I have a rough idea. Unless you’re familiar with cycling in the area, it may be unwise to dismiss it as ‘only 100 miles’. The climbs are as big as they come. It could range from moderately hard to absolutely brutal depending on the exact route.

igm

Butcher – I take your point around Durham (although the actual route doesn’t look that bad – certainly the total climbing isn’t bad at 2200m), but the comment was really about the Birmingham one.

bamboo
    Free Member

I was meant to be doing it, but it ended up clashing with a stag do that I can’t get out of. I’ve got a fast track ticket available if anybody is interested….

IHN

Thread revival – everyone ready?

Legs-wise, I’m probably fine, motivation-wise, I’m struggling…

rOcKeTdOg

We’ve had 3 people in the shop already all “haven’t ridden a bike for years” who will be on those closed roads with you & the 16996 other riders. Good luck

lunge

Fitness – Ran 20 miles 2 weeks ago in just under 3 hours and have done another 13 miler this weekend. I’ve commuted to work 3 times (25 mile round trip) in the last 2 weeks. I’m as fit as I’ve ever been but not bike fit. So in truth, I have no idea how I’ll hold up. I’m more worried about my backside not being fully hardened to cycling in truth.

Motivation – Good, I do like a closed road ride and, as long as you get in the right group, it’ll be good fun. The 2 other guys I’m doing it with have all said it’s every man for himself bar the first 2 miles.

Bike – I think I’ve found a small crack on the frame of my best bike and am going for the “ignore it and it’ll be fine” approach to this. Mainly as I can’t afford a new frame right now.

So yeah, looking forward to it, it’ll be good fun.

Haze

Ready!

Annoyingly we’re starting from quite far back, but hopefully won’t hit too much congestion…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Some friends were trying to persuade me to do this, but I was put off with it being Birmingham!

Half wish I had done it now

twowheels
    Free Member

42 mile route (finish in Coventry) for me. I’m from North Warwickshire so looking forward to riding familiar roads closed. Hoping to crack 2 hours (21mph). Should be straight forwards in a group but not sure about solo.

pedlad

Been balancing training as best I can with a weird virus thing (temps/cough/headaches) for the last month. Feel better for a couple of days then back to square one. I guess riding may not have helped but Mrs P has had exactly the same without doing much exercise (not from other thread!).

Anyhow seem to be through that thing finally now, just don’t feel especially strong. Was hoping to go out tonight but weather is pretty poor here and I think that Friday (my next ride opportunity) is too late to be training for Sunday! Just have to plod around as best I can.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone VeloBirminghamandWestMidlands-ing in May?’ is closed to new replies.