Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone Using XX1?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

Is anyone on here using XX1?
    How are you finding it?

I’m really tempted to upgrade to it from my current XT set-up 🙂

100mphplus
    Free Member

Been using it for a while on the AM bike.
    Whilst the XX1 covers the low end of the ratios it was a bit of a struggle going from 2 x 10 since you are missing a few of the mid ratios and I found the jump Btw some of the gears when changing up a bit much at times so you tended to spin a bit more than you’d like to.

The rear cassette is a thing of beauty and remember you’ll also have to change the freehub, so make sure your existing wheel has an XD drive freehub available.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

How are you finding it once it’s got a few miles on it?

Any problems so far?

I’m currently running Hope hubs so the freehub isn’t a problem.

butterbean
    Free Member

I’ve tested it on various demo bikes and prototypes.

I still have an inherent dislike for SRAM shifters, so don’t really like it. Not enough of a changer over my 1×10 of choice, XTR.

The lack of chain guide doesn’t work either, and every single one I used the BB creaked like crazy. Same old SRAM really.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Only recently had it, so far 120km on the bike, all kinds of terrain.
    No chain loss at all, very quiet and don’t notice it at all when riding.

I was using a 1×10 before and the difference is massive. You have bigger range either side and with sensible chainring choice you can cover all grounds. At the most I think you would need 2 chainrings. Previously I was using 1×10 with a top chain guide and clutch mech and lost the chain on 2 occasions in a few months use.

100mphplus
    Free Member

No problems encountered whatsoever and its had some good thrashings including 3 Gravity Enduro races.

I’ve obviously got fitter too as the gearing steps doesn’t bother me now at all. I did invest in a 30T ring though which came in handy one day when we had a lot of big hills to climb.

A note on the Hope hubs, although they don’t state it, you can convert the old Pro 2 hubs to use the new XD freehub as well as the Pro 2 Evo and Pro 3 😉

honourablegeorge

Was looking at it for the first time yesterday. Felt very smooth. Looked very shiny.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Well, I’ve bit the bullet and ordered the XX1 kit.
    Just need to find somewhere with a trigger shifter in stock now.

messiah
    Free Member

All I’m waiting for is a cassette 🙁

notmyrealname
    Free Member

All I’m waiting for is a cassette

They’ve got them in stock on Bike-discount.de, decent price as well.

honourablegeorge

It’s not quite as expensive as I thought it was.

Can you get an XX1-compatible chainring to fit a normal 104BCD crank?

Or a BB to fit a SRAM crank in a BB92 pressfit BB?

butterbean
    Free Member

It’s not quite as expensive as I thought it was.

Can you get an XX1-compatible chainring to fit a normal 104BCD crank?

Or a BB to fit a SRAM crank in a BB92 pressfit BB?

Any normal chainring works. You only need the cassette, shifter, mech and chain to actually do it.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

You can get a 104bcd XX1 compatible ring from Wolf Tooth Components:

http://wolftoothcomponents.com/

I’m sure someone does adapters from BB30 to HT2 but not sure about GXP.

crankrider
    Free Member

Can get a ‘poor mans’ XX1 ring for £30 atm from Works Components too, $80 for that wolf one is waaay too expensive. Raceface will have theirs out for under £40.00 soon and i wonder when E13 will catch up?, they wont want to loose ground being one of the big players here.

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works-components-104bcd-chainring-alternating-thickness-extended-tooth-design-270-p.asp

They put the pre-order date back by 5 days which is rubbish as i really want to give this a go….

I just hope sram trickle the 11speed cassette tech down to x9, will be totally sorted then.

honourablegeorge

Found the BB….am tempted now. Should recoup a fair bit of the cash sellign the XTR Clutch mech, cassette, chain and shifter

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Should recoup a fair bit of the cash sellign the XTR Clutch mech, cassette, chain and shifter

That’s what I’m hoping for with mine, sell off my XT/ XTR kit to pay for part of it once I’ve decided I’m happy with the XX1.

honourablegeorge

The worry is I put it all on the hardtail and sell nothing.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Haha, that’s always my downfall as well, I have the best intentions of selling stuff but never do and end up skint!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve been running it since about jan/feb and not had any problems, smooth and quiet and hasn’t dropped the chain once. Prefer the sram shifter to shimano ones but tbh that’s more personal preference than anything else.

It doesn’t have quite the low end of my previous 3×10 setup but there isn’t a lot in it.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just thought I’d say, my XX1 kit arrived this morning and it’s pretty sweet looking kit.

The chainset doesn’t look anything special but the cassette…..it’s a thing of beauty 😯
    For the size of it, it’s incredibly light and looks absolutely fantastic!

Del

200 freaking quid for a consumable part!? 😯

messiah
    Free Member

Whole groupset apart from the cassette sitting at my LBS… cassette ETA is 4 weeks (FFS!)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So, how much does it cost to buy the requisites?

njee20
    Free Member

200 freaking quid for a consumable part!?

It’s £320 at retail, same as XX.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

200 freaking quid for a consumable part!?

Your point being?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Using XX1?’ is closed to new replies.