Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone using XTR 980 cranks with a single ring?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Is anyone out there using a single ring on their 980 XTR cranks? How does it look with the way the arms are shaped?

Anyone got any pics please?

Cheers all

Edit: and have you used the triple crankset or the double?

shaggy

I am. I bought a triple. Pretty sure the double/triple have the same chainline. It doesn’t look great with normal chainring bolts, works fantastically though. You can buy tabs (like the ones that come with the double)to cover the outer ring but they are very expensive.

JamesD
    Free Member

I’ve got the standard M980 double chainsets, so no. Which incidentally is a different BCD (88 I think?) to the triple.

Also, haven’t really worked out the difference between the M980 double (bolts covered) and the M985 double yet (bolts showing)!

But anyway… I guess it’s these that Shaggy is referring to?

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1082/product

honourablegeorge

Here’s my Spicy – ring is a 34t. I’ve straightened up the guide since

shaggy

The M980 (trail) comes as a double or triple. Pretty sure the crank arms are the same (standard 104bcd). Standard BCD makes it a better bet as a single.

The M985 (race) uses a smaller bcd (88mm sounds right), I think the chain line is different to the M985.

Shimano sell the tabs that come on the M980 double, in place of the outer ring- they are like the one James mentioned but match the colour of the cranks.

honourablegeorge

I need a set of those tabs – any idea of a part number of where they can be had?

honourablegeorge

Heh… was just about to post it. Y1LR98120

Now the search.

sebgt
    Free Member

Found these for a snip of the price

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1082/product

jameso

Nice one.. Thanks for posting the link, just bought some as spares.

oxnop
    Free Member

You have seen this in ‘rel life’ (apologies for having a bash)

matthew_h
    Free Member

Indeed Mr Oxnop, I knew yours was one of the converted sets. I think I’m pretty much decided so just need the funds now. Best place to sell a full set of rings anyone?

jameso

IMAG1061 by james-o, on Flickr

Looks good with the tabs and those KCNCs are a good buy at £15 posted.

lucien

I’ve done it with a set of 970’s and used the middle ring space, 36T, with an XC chain guide on an Inbred. Bought some cheap, short chainring bolts from the LBS and it’s been fine.

I’m off to get some pictures

knutl
    Free Member

What is the weight of the XTR 980 cranksett without the chainrings?
    Or in another way, what is the lightest? Middleburn RS8 Uno or XTR 980 with one ring?

godzilla
    Free Member

Can you use the KCNC jobs on a triple with the big ring removed?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using XTR 980 cranks with a single ring?’ is closed to new replies.