Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Anyone using Vans as MTB shoes?
  • Jeaster

I switched to flat pedals since I got back into mountain biking recently, so been looking around for some new footwear. I’m a bit picky when it comes to shoe design, and haven’t been able to find anything I like from what I guess are the most common choices; Etnies, Five Ten, etc.

So I thought I’d see what Vans had to offer and spotted these – https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/men-shoes-low-top-shoes/tnt-inadvanced-prototypein-pro-shoes-vn0a3tjxy28 – I know they’re designed for Skateboarding, but with the extra scuff protection this shoes has, along with a more durable rubber sole, I figure they’ll be fine as MTB shoes.

Just wondering, though, is anyone else using them? Or anything similar from Vans?

bikecurious
    Free Member

50to01 boys use them, doesn’t seem to hold them back.

Jakester
    Free Member

I used to use Vans all the time for riding. The main problem is that the soles get torn to shreds pretty quickly if you use pedals with any sort of pin.

There’s also a lack of mid-foot support in the sole which can be fatiguing on longer rides, and the soles are next to useless if it’s wet, muddy or slippery.

I switched to 5/10s and they’ve been a lot better.

warpcow
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re doing in my experience. Just messing around? Fine. Planning on cycling longer distances and times? The stiffer sole of a proper shoe is preferred. My feet start to ache otherwise.

kiwijohn

Sk8-Hi Pro BMX might also be worth a look.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not can but I use skate shoes. They are good for control imo but after a few hours of winch and plummet my feet are starting to feel tired / almost bruised feet due to lack of support. I am accustomed to using skate shoes on a BMX but it’s less pounding!

Bez

Yup, used them loads, the lack of stiffness is great for control but for longer rides you’ll want something stiffer (although the shape of the pedal is a factor in how bad this is and if you ride with skate shoes a lot then your feet do toughen up a bit).

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to use skate shoes before Five Ten were a thing in MTB. As above, great for control (much better than Five Ten IMO) but too soft and tiring for me when climbing.

Jeaster

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yeah, I should stipulate that I only plan to do XC and light trail rides. I have a trip to Dalby Forest planned at the end of October, which is likely to be the upper end of the scale in terms of difficulty, for me.

I did 35k of fairly hilly bridleway at the weekend in my regular Vans Old Skools, and my feet felt fine.

I’m using the budget friendly HT PA03A pedals, which I love by the way. So comfortable and loads of grip.

rossburton
    Free Member

My son used his Vans for riding and my wife nearly murdered me when she saw what had happened to the sole of his “good trainers”. Studded pedals will destroy the sole.

NS
    Free Member

I always wear Vans – grip is great, super comfortable, waffle soles do wear but not significantly & plenty stiff enough in the sole for me.

I have been wearing these for a while :-
    Vans – Berle Pro

And have recently bought these for when things get a bit wetter :-
    Vans – Dennis Enarson Old Skool Pro Bmx

Get them in the sale & you can buy 2 pairs for every pair of Five Ten’s.

zezaskar
    Free Member

No idea about the non Pro models, but I happen to have a pair of Vans SK8 Hi Pros I use casually. Not only they are superbly well made, ultra durable, but I’m always surprised by the level of grip they offer when I use them on the bike for some reason. I’d say they grip Nukeproof Horizons way better than Shimano GR7s.

But I’ve never went further with them than around the block, and you really feel the lack of sole stiffness, and maybe a little bit of toe protection. If Vans was to release a version with a stiffer sole and maybe a touch more toe armour I’d buy a pair

trumpton
    Free Member

I’ve used etnies skate boots before.they worked well and had quite a stiff sole.they were also over built

Jeaster

These look like they might be slightly more appropriate for MTB use…the sole looks like it might address the ‘slippery when wet’ issue highlighted by Jakester earlier, too – https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/men-shoes-low-top-shoes/ultrarange-3d-shoes-vn0a3tkwb9m.

danmac
    Free Member

For casual rides with the mrs il wear my vans skate hi tops, anything longer or trail center visits I use specialized 2fo flats, the vans are great for casual but as others have said, any type of metal pins in pedals will chew through soles rather quick. That being said, the vans old stool mids did outlast a set of 510’s by 3 months…

Im also told the etnies marana cranks are a bike specific shoe that are pretty hard wearing too.

ayjaydoubleyou

https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-sleuth-mountain-bike-shoes/EE8893.html

Habe you tried these?

5-10’s answer to the skatepark type style – but obviously with a tread intended for a pedal of a BMX or trials bike rather than a skateboard deck

Northwind

I used to wear my ancient Bricks, they were fantastic. Very soft but I liked that. Usually wear my TNTs on the road bike (yeah I know).

But tbh I do prefer the 5 10s.

Jakester
    Free Member

I do remember I used to have a pair of Etnies Lo-Cuts which had a much harder sole but lasted much longer as a result, with no noticeable lack of grip:

https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/shoes/icons/

dethbeard
    Free Member

BITD i used to ride odyssey Jim Ceilenki pedals and Vans TNT shoes, fine for dry weather, blasts round the woods.
    Wouldn’t want to do it in a muddy, rootfest that may involve me pushing.

warpcow
    Free Member

These look like they might be slightly more appropriate for MTB use…the sole looks like it might address the ‘slippery when wet’ issue highlighted by Jakester earlier, too – https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/men-shoes-low-top-shoes/ultrarange-3d-shoes-vn0a3tkwb9m

I actually have a pair of those. Never ridden in them and can’t say I’d want to. They’re even softer than regular skate shoes. Super comfy for everyday wear, though.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Etnies do these for MTB:

Low

High

unovolo
    Free Member

I have some 5 Ten Sleuths that I use on my Guv’nor style bike.
    Have done 25mile rides with them no bother, even in pi55in rain and they have been great, much more like a Vans pump than regular 5tens that I have for my main MTB.

garage-dweller

Yes and Airwalks and I won’t ever do so again.

Soles way too flexible so get sore arches and balls (of feet!) very quickly, pedal pins turn them to mincemeat pretty quick too.

Five-Tens for me.

Tim
    Free Member

I find skate shoes too soft/flexible. Get sore mid sole on a long ride and from bigger impacts.

I’ve got some Adidas trailcross which are fantastic. Not as heavy as 5-10 with the same sole. Shimano flat shoes are good as well

sirromj

As already answered, yes Vans fine for shorter rides, or messing about. The other year I tried some Etnies but the toe box was wrong shape, too slender, so I sent them back. The 510 Freerider soles hardly faired much better than the Vans waffle soles in my experience. Quite like Vans for commuting in. Dry out quick too. Especially when there’s a water exit point in the sole lol.

Jeaster

I actually have a pair of those. Never ridden in them and can’t say I’d want to. They’re even softer than regular skate shoes. Super comfy for everyday wear, though.

Ah, that’s a shame. I thought the midsole/outsole looked pretty tough in the pictures. Wish I’d seen this comment sooner, I actually ordered a pair of these cos they were in the sale, but I guess I’ll be returning them! https://www.workingclassheroes.co.uk/footwear/trainers/vans-ultrarange-3d-shoes-pewter-eucalyptus__204141

kayla1
    Free Member

Same as loads of others, they’re great for shorter rides and I like them for the odd DH race because you get loads of feel from them (and because I’m nowhere near fast enough to need anything else!) For longer rides and bimbles I’ve got some Everlast retro looking things with a stiffer sole (kind of like Puma States) I got years ago that just Will. Not. Die.

joebristol

I rode with some cheapie things from Sports Direct (cost £20 ish) for while on Wellgo MG-1’s. The grip was actually ok but like others have said the mid part / ball of my foot would start to ache on longer rides or uplift days.

Switched to 5-10’s and that just isn’t an issue. Had some freerider elements for quite a few years now – the sole is very hard wearing – used them with a few different types of pinned pedal – mg1’s / Carbon Cycle Exotics / Superstar Nano Evos’s.

They don’t smell great these days so I’m considering replacing them with some freerider pro’s to see what they’re like.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I use Vans Half Cabs, on DX style flats they’re very sticky but the sole is quite flexible, but its all personal taste really.

I can’t justify spending 80 notes on a pair of 5-10s for “going out on the bike” as the wife would say, so I just go for skate shoes in a sale to replace current walkabout skate shoes which then replace my bike shoes. Going to try Etnies Maranas next, Michelin sole is plenty sticky and they’re firmer than the Vans. One of the best skate shoes i’ve had in a long time. Also (as mentioned) they do a mtb version so the mid-tops might be worth a go

joemmo
    Free Member

Etnies have a ‘crank’ range (inc. a Brandon Semenuk signature shoe) which are aimed at BMX and MTB. I have the Marana mid crank and it’s quite stiff but not as much as my Terrex flats. Grip is good with plastic pedals too and they seem well made but are sized a bit small.

Jeaster

Ah, that’s a shame. I thought the midsole/outsole looked pretty tough in the pictures. Wish I’d seen this comment sooner, I actually ordered a pair of these cos they were in the sale, but I guess I’ll be returning them! https://www.workingclassheroes.co.uk/footwear/trainers/vans-ultrarange-3d-shoes-pewter-eucalyptus__204141

These arrived this morning. On initial inspection, they actually seem quite rigid and supportive in comparison to my regular Old Skools. The mid-sole is quite spongy and soft, though, and a small amount of that material is exposed through the outsole, which I think is very likely to get chewed to bits by the pins on my flats.

Tim
    Free Member

Proper MTB shoes seem to last far longer than skate shoes on the bike. I live in Etnies Kingpins off the bike, but on the bike is always use dedicated shoes

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I use Vans high tops for pumptrack and DJ duties. I really don’t like the amount of grip you get from 510’s for DJ riding.

jwd606
    Free Member

I use Vans mid top Sk8, and half Cabs, but I do have arch supports inserted which help with foot pain that others have mentioned.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using Vans as MTB shoes?’ is closed to new replies.