Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone using ultegra 6800 yet?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Think I might be able to get cyclescheme voucher and tempted to use it on a new groupset for the road bike. Was planning on 6700 but the new stuff is similar price with merlin. Although would need some new wheels too…. Alternative is 6800 chainset (because it looks much nicer than 6700!) and the rest 6700 kit. I do need to check the compatibility of that although heard 11 speed will work with 10 speed crankset.

fontmoss
    Free Member

No one?

stumpy120
    Free Member

Mine arrived today but I’ve no idea about the compatibility. Looks nice though.

jimc101
    Free Member

Not surprised your not getting any one saying yes, it’s only been out a few weeks, and only in compact, the interesting stuff / reasons to get it, 52/36 and 53/39 chainsets aren’t out yet.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am a 6800 user and it really is much improved over 6700. The front shifting noticably improved and the levers are a nicer shape.

mjsmke

I’m still using ultegra 600 8 speed!

tthew

The thing you may wish to find out about first is will they let you have just components with your voucher. The tax rules say that you must have a full bike, (thought many, particular smaller independent bike shops aren’t so fussy).

njee20
    Free Member

And you can use the chain set on 10 speed.

IanW
    Free Member

Does it have a bb30 crank?

simondbarnes

Does it have a bb30 crank?

No

LeeW

Shimano cranks are 24mm.

IanW
    Free Member

Not going to sell many of them then.

LeeW

I think they’ll manage.

simondbarnes

Yeah, probably only a couple of dozen or so. How stupid of them.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I know the cycle scheme might not allow components only but going to track down our person who does it tomorrow to try and clarify. I’d be tempted to get a planet x with 6700 or perhaps a dirty disco if i have to get a frame though.

mboy
    Free Member

Haven’t yet ridden 6800, but have had a quick play with a bike at work fitted with it. Shifters definitely feel more positive, with a more definite click than a 6700 setup. The Brakes look ace too!

Though in the real world, I’m not sure it will offer any significant performance to be fair just having an extra gear ratio but hey ho…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Performance? Bah, newer, nicer and subjectively better – that’ll do 😉

They’d be replacing 6600 shifters and 105 mechs – all second hand plus the shifters have seen the underside of a bus. Anything new will feel great

mboy
    Free Member

Any more input yet?

Probably going to be building up a new road bike in the next few weeks, currently deciding whether to stick with tried and tested (and going cheap) 6700 Ultegra, go for the new 6800, or even go a bit leftfield and plump for a Campag Athena setup.

cheers_drive

I’m deciding between 6800 and Sram Force 22 for my new build so registering my interest in this thread. Currently favouring 6800 as it’s much cheaper and only weighs 150 more. The looks are a bit meh though.

paulaustin
    Free Member

I’ve had 6800 on my bike for about a month now and I’m loving it. I’ve moved up from a 105/tiagra mix so it’s a massive jump but everything is better.

the main differences for me are the shifters are much nicer, and the amount you have to shift the left lever has reduced dramatically. The brakes are miles better as well, especially in the wet.

i thought 11 gears would be a gimmick to be honest but it reduces the amount of jumps in teeth between shifts so shifting is much smoother.

all in all highly recommended.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are you new to cycling? Do you know who Shimano are? 🙂

TiRed

Is shifting back up to 6600 standards? I have 6600 and 6700 and the internal cable routing makes 6700 feel a lot more errr Campagnolo.

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, one of the reasons I still use 7800 was that I just didn’t like the shifting on 7900. Moving the cables internally made it more faff, worse shifting, and you lost somewhere to put your thumbs!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using ultegra 6800 yet?’ is closed to new replies.