Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Anyone using those new inner tubes?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

If so, worth the cash? Notice the weight loss? Had any punctures?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Inner tubes? New?

Retro more like.

nigelb001
    Free Member

I presume you mean the Eclipse ultralight tubes. Nothing new here, been around for a few years now. No I havent tried them, there’s something about a £45 price tag that makes me run away.

bigyinn
    Free Member

HOW MUCH?
    Next they’ll be selling tyres for £60 EACH. Madness I tells you.

kayak23

geordiemick00
    Free Member

they were £3.99 for two until some marketing genius decided to add ‘swiss made’ on the box

Trimix
    Free Member

If they are Swiss made wont they be full of holes ?

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I thought the box said ‘Better Fist Protection’

Must get my eyes tested! 😯

patriotpro
    Free Member

If they are Swiss made wont they be full of holes ?

And support euthanasia…

Northwind

Still doesn’t seem to be anyone in the UK selling the repair kit. Tempted to try them on the dh bike though, 60g for the big one and supposedly more punctureproof than a 300g dh tube, that’s worth £45 if it works.

toys19
    Free Member

Northwind, I’m thinking the same thing.

Karl33to
    Free Member

fwiw Deal Extereme do a cheaper version, no idea how they compare to these though.

Offroading
    Free Member

aphex_2k check your email…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

The repair kits are available no troubles Northwind.

Northwind

Hmm, that’s helpful, cheers!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

No worries Northwind – As the UK distributor of Eclipse I’m obviously biased but I have to say I’m blown away by the weight of these things.
    Our resident DH monkey saved almost a lb off of his Turner DHR!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Our resident DH monkey saved almost a lb off of his Turner DHR!

Makes a lot of sense. A puncture means your race is done, regardless, so being lighter for the rest of the time makes great sense!

PrinceJohn

Can someone please tell me how they lower rolling resistance? Surely that’s down to the tyre, isn’t it? Unless they’re talking about the rolling resistance caused by weight?

& although they may be lighter than tubeless, surely you can’t run them at similarly low pressures as tubeless without the risk of pinch punctures?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempted to look at these for the road bike. Only 29 grams per tube.

Northwind

PrinceJohn – Member

Can someone please tell me how they lower rolling resistance? Surely that’s down to the tyre, isn’t it? Unless they’re talking about the rolling resistance caused by weight?

Same way people claim tubeless does it- takes less force to deform the tyre, since normally you’re deforming sidewall + thicker inner tube.

I have no idea if it works- I can’t tell any difference with tubeless.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PJ, bear in mind that with super light tubes, you can run tyres which are lighter than tubeless ones.

Double lighter.

PrinceJohn

How heavy is double lighter? Is it blue sky light or cloudy sky sky?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Those Foss ones with blue ano presta look much cooler. My LBS had them in last year for $20, but I was doubtful so I looked them up online and there seemed to be issues with them splitting along the seam. No idea if they or the Eclipse have improved.

I’ve converted to tubeless since and doubt I could be persuaded to go back.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Take a look at the spec on those Foss ones – 182g it says, so not the same thing.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Fair enough, I didn’t bother rechecking, but there’s no way I would ever have considered tubes weighing that much so that number seems odd.

The point made re the Eclipse for road might tempt me though. That saddlebag thread would look a little different with Co2 and a lighter. Is Co2 flammable? Bonus if your tube repair doubles as a flamethrower!

Stoner
    Free Member

Is Co2 flammable?

*blows out birthday candles carefully*

trail_rat
    Free Member

was thinking the same thing stoner – not to mention flamible fire extinguisher – mmmmmm fun !

chief31
    Free Member

Impossible to lower rolling resistance on something that isn’t causing friction when moving.
    I.e. tyre to road. Inner tube to er nothing.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do fancy these for the road bike but have memories of my first ride with a set of green panaracer fancy tubes fitted to my mtb about 20 years ago. Both tubes split after a few miles, oh the disappointment.

onandon
    Free Member

Is Co2 flammable?

*blows out birthday candles carefully*

🙂 LOL

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

CO2 is inert (or at least it was when I was 12 in a chemistry class!). However, a whole sink of water and a bottle of potassium was pretty crazy.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Doh! My flight of fancy is dashed. Funny though.

DrP

Is Co2 flammable?

Frantically removes all the CO2 fire extinguishers from work….. 😉

Impossible to lower rolling resistance on something that isn’t causing friction when moving.

Or… better to understand rolling resistance is ‘made up of’ contact resistance (i.e super tacky tyres are high in this) and ‘effort needed to deform tyre’ – if you can ‘roll through’ a bump in the ground, rather than roll over it, that takes less effort…

DrP

cookeaa

Having considered it a bit I now think they’re actually pretty good value, you can probbaly get 4 or maybe even 5 mud flaps out of a £40 tube, so compares well with that piss take priced Mojo fender…

Same way people claim tubeless does it- takes less force to deform the tyre, since normally you’re deforming sidewall + thicker inner tube.

I have no idea if it works- I can’t tell any difference with tubeless.

It’s called Hysteresis, I reckon it works but it’s not the only selling point of tubeless…

nigelb001
    Free Member

My first thought when seeing these was they look like heat shrink tubing I have in my electronics workshop. Then I read this on their site:

The Eclipse bicycle tube R1825 is NOT suitable in combination with carbon rims ! The heat during braking can burst the inner tube!

Hmmm…. 😉

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Has anyone any real world hard use experience of these tubes yet?

tonyg2003

Hi One of the guys I ride with got a bunch of the Foss tubes. There is a great picture of one of my mates got OTB when one of these blew out. He wasn’t impressed

I put some on the missus’s comuter bike and found that they leaked slowly. They are also a PITA to blow up since they have no lock ring on the valve stem. Finally when on went down over a couple of days the tube rotated in the rim and ripped out the valve stem.

If they puncture you can’t repair them.

Not impressed. No way would I change my tubeless set ups for these.

toys19
    Free Member

Nice story, but the foss tubes are not the same as the eclipse ones….

tonyg2003

derrrr

the foss tubes are not the same as the eclipse ones

has a more obvious statement ever been made?

Yes they say FOSS in big letters on them and are clearly different

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using those new inner tubes?’ is closed to new replies.