Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone using stans alpha 340 rims for commuting?
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi

I currently run a set of Hope hoops with mavic open pro rims on my commuter and they have been bomb proof but they have the silver braking surface on.

I’ve just been offered a lightly used set of custom built stans 340 on hope hubs and I’m tempted to swop them as there isn’t a braking surface, they are lighter and tubeless ready.

At 385g are very light. Anyone running them? Any problems? Can I run them at 100 psi?

Thank you

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had some; not very stiff and a tyre once blew off the rim. They also wore out very quickly, although if you’re running discs then not a problem. I think the Mavics are a better rim personally. Paint the braking surface?

nedrapier

If you can get hopes in your frame, I’m guessing it’s a kind of on/off road type thing? Mine too. I built some open pros on SLX to start off with, a few years later had some big rides coming up and saw some Stans 340 on Stans 3.1 hubs for cheap. Open Pros stay on for the commute, 340’s stay spare with either light weight 29er tyres or 28c GP4S for long rides on or off when I’m going to appreciate the lighter weight.

Commuting’s free exercise, so you might as well make the most of things with the heaviest wheels you’ve got!

nedrapier

I have had a tyre blow off the rim too. only ever while blowing them up, presumably with the bead carelessly positioned. Not while riding.

nedrapier

Andy funnily enough (hilariously! Oh, ho ho ho, my aching sides) my 340’s have a silver braking surface, despite being laced onto disc hubs, but my Open pros are the fancy CD version, dark grey anodised.

damascus
    Free Member

They are on my Kinesis tripster.

Ive just weighed them and they don’t seem much lighter so I think I’ll stick with the tried and tested open pros. I think the idea of them burping puts me off. Also I remember how hard it is to get a tube on a stans rim

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using stans alpha 340 rims for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.