Anyone using Magic Mary tyres?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone using Magic Mary tyres?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone using Magic Mary tyres?
  • mindmap3

I’ve been running a pair of Hans Dampf’s for just over a year now and have generally been pretty happy with them however the rear one is starting to look a bit tired now so I was thinking of putting the front one on the rear and putting a Magic Mary up front.

The reviews of them have been pretty positive so I was just wondering if anyone has been using them and what they thought of them.

Cheers

Premier Icon shredder
    Subscriber

I have one on the front of my Mega TR. Bought it with the intention of just having it on through winter in the slop. Then to swap back to Hans Dampf.
    Its that good it appears at everything, its staying on all year.

Can just seem to get a bit silly with it leaning into stuff, with the tall side lugs.

Very impressed going to get another for the other bike.

mindmap3

Good stuff.

I’m pretty damn tempted given all the praise that they’re getting. I really like my HD’s but having been riding my Slackline with HR’s on I’m not sure they bite quite as hard, but they’re lighter have have a much bigger volume. The Magic Mary’s look like they keep that but are a tad more aggressive.

fuzzhead

Running one up front with a HD out back. Very impressed – feels slightly slower rolling than HD I had previously on the front but grip is fantastic. Running TS compound in Super Gravity carcass tubeless.

BMC09

got one a MM on the front and a HD on the rear, running the TS compound and it is fantastic.
    it isn’t the fastest rolling tyre, but it is grippy as hell!

mafiafish

I’m going to get some as I was so impressed by Muddy Marys that I didn’t mind a 1300g+ tyre on the front all year round. These seem even better proposition for a trail bike.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Quite a few people using them today (scottish enduro series), getting a good rap… though tbh that’s maybe because there’s so few decent 650b mud tyres. And also, Icycles sell them! Probably some rush buys after practice, some unhappy folks making do with highrollers etc.

(yes I genuinely do just go around all day talking to randoms about their tyres, I am awesome.)

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Quite a few people using them today (scottish enduro series), getting a good rap… though tbh that’s maybe because there’s so few decent 650b mud tyres. And also, Icycles sell them! Probably some rush buys after practice, some unhappy folks making do with highrollers etc.

(yes I genuinely do just go around all day talking to randoms about their tyres, I am awesome.)

Yes, but you’re the hero STW needs.

gordy90lpg

Running them front and rear due to the muddy conditions in the hills just now , brilliant tyres ,was a conti baron fan but they are unavailable in 650b although the magic Mary in my opinion is a better tyre anyway.

mindmap3

Good stuff.

Will get one ordered in a few weeks…I’m tight so want to get as much use our of my rear tyre as I can.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

arse would like some for Ae this weekend but Im poor, will I die with hans dampf up front?

Hob Nob

I wish this or the Maxxis Shorty would hurry up and come out in 29″.

Deveron53

I’m waiting for the SuperGravity 29er to come out. Nextdaytyres have the Snakeskin version at the mo.
    22nd April is the latest revised 29er SG release date.

Premier Icon Urks 75
    Subscriber

Forgive my ignorance but are these for d/h or gen x country? Also what is the snakeskin bit in the tyre description mean? Sorry, read lots of good reviews but unsure if these would be a good change for a set of worn out high rollers.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Snakeskin are the re enforced sidewalls if you wanna run them tubeless it’s advisable

Not ridden then but think they might be a bit chunky for an xc tyres if you want to keep things light

I’m wondering how they compare with the Conti Barons (Black Chilli). Anyone ridden both?

Definitely not an XC tyre – it is properly big (measures 2″3/8″ in old money, bigger than a Minion or High Roller 2.5), has huge knobs, a tough carcass and stickier compounds, thus order to laws of engineering it doesn’t roll all that fast… It is bloody marvellous if you want a front tyre that grips and grips in almost all conditions (I’m guessing a downhill true spike tyre will do better in deep mud). In mud it’s comparable to the Baron but it’s better in the dry because the carcass is much bigger volume and the edge is stronger.

mindmap3

I’m sold on giving one a shot. The Evo version isn’t too heavy either (well not in my world it’s not), it’s 100g heavier than a Hans Dampf but will hopefully bites bit more.

My rear Hans Dampf is looking pretty dead now…there’s the start if a split through the carcass and two big holes that I was having trouble getting to seal. I am wondering though if a Magic Mary front tyre with a Hans Dampf Trailstar on the rear will be too draggy, so I may just buy another Pacestar Hans Dampf to replace my knackered one. Or I may give a Rock Razor a whirl if we get an extended period of dry weather.

pottsathome

I ve got magic Mary’s on my dh bike and their awesome but wouldn’t like to pedal them about. Try the wtb vigilante. Same price and an amazing tyre for the front of your bike

deano8

Got the snakeskin version from the Germans for £35 posted. Got it on the front and the grip is amazing.
    Would drag on the back end but it lets me take new lines on the downs compared to my old Nobby Nics.
    Being self employed the extra grip is important to me:)
    Very happy with M/M

sq225917

I find them a solid tyre for anything other than dusty dry conditions. A dirty Dan is better when the mud is over your rims, but other than that they are pretty much perfect. No vague spot like the high rollers have as you lean them in.

mindmap3

Deffo only fitting one on the front.

I really like High Rollers, but they don’t come in a sensible size and weight that can be rune tubeless.

mindmap3

Finally got my Magic Mary on the front combined with a Rock Razor on the rear.

First ride out today and unlike the combo for the summer. The Rock Razor coped pretty well but the limits of its grips were quite easy to find, especially on the steep stuff when braking. The Magic Mary gripped like no mans business on the front. So much so that I may but a pair of Super Gravity versions for uplift days to replace my old dual ply Minions.

xelr8

I’m running these on both my bikes on the Front Wheels (29″) & find them to be really good but I’ve noticed that both tyres are cracking around the Lugs, Nobbles (whatever you want to call them) mainly the Tall Side ones.
    Anyone else found this??

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I have a pair of SuperGravity Vertsar/Trailstar (sticky/middle) on the front/rear of my bike.

Heaps of grip, they shed mud well enough (when you’re moving, that is). good volume, not intolerable weight.

They drag like a draggy thing (unsurprisingly) so when I was away for a weekend of gnar and ended up getting dragged around a big XC loop instead, I got spanked so hard I couldn’t sit down for a week.

They inflate easily on Stan’s Flow EX too.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

xelr8 – Member

I’m running these on both my bikes on the Front Wheels (29″) & find them to be really good but I’ve noticed that both tyres are cracking around the Lugs, Nobbles (whatever you want to call them) mainly the Tall Side ones.

I know a couple of people that have ripped knobs off the sticky versions and others have broken up quite badly. Does seem to be a pretty soft rubber.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I know a couple of people that have ripped knobs off the sticky versions and others have broken up quite badly. Does seem to be a pretty soft rubber.

Aye, I’ll report back on mine in a few months. My HR2’s were faring pretty badly (Exo TripleCompound) and a (faster) mate had started ripping them off.

mindmap3

Same thing happened to my rear Hans Dampf which made it feel squirmy and unpredictable. They’ve lasted pretty well to date so I’m not too fussed.

philsilva

[/quote] deano8 – Member

Got the snakeskin version from the Germans for £35 posted. Got it on the front and the grip is amazing.
    Would drag on the back end but it lets me take new lines on the downs compared to my old Nobby Nics.
    Being self employed the extra grip is important to me:)
    Very happy with M/M

Where did you get your tyre from? I’m looking at rose bikes ATM
    Cheers
    Phil

Premier Icon Prophet2
    Subscriber

I have been running a MM upfront since August, very impressed with it, especially in the mud of Scotland. High Roller out the back so a wee bit more effort required on the climbs.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Super gravity sticky MM on front of my bike has been faultless up the Lakes. I am really impressed with the grip and general confidence it gives.

Wouldn’t want one on the back for anything that didn’t involve a chairlift!

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Bike24 were cheapest for my MM @ €36

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using Magic Mary tyres?’ is closed to new replies.