Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone using dynamo lights for a commuter?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Happy? Sad? Regretful?

Are people wiring their own lights into the dynamo, or do you have to go with a complete set?

warpcow
    Free Member

Very happy. Cheapo Shimano dynamo and B+M Cyo (I think) cost me about £70 all-in and fulfils all my commuting needs (mostly through town-centre and a couple of short unlit sections).

molgrips
    Free Member

You normally have to wire your own setup? This is what I want, actually – I normally use multiple rear lights.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Evangelically happy, I can ride unlit roads happily with mine.

drlex
    Free Member

Also in the Happy camp; wired up myself. Have a pair of smart lamps as backup, but no failures over two years of commuting. I leave the dynamo lamps on for all rides, as the drag is undetectable to me.
    If I was buying now, would choose a front lamp with USB socket.

StirlingCrispin

Happy.

Cheapo Shimano dynamo hub/roller brake combo, B+M Cyo front and a B+M standlight rear.

Gives a bright steady light to ride by but a high-speed flicker from the front which really helps visibility. The rear is very bright (friends have commented on it) but I also back it up with a flasher.

Don’t bother with any switches – just plug it in in September and unplug it in April.

My last cheap hub lasted 8 years of aquatic commuting.

lilchris
    Free Member

Second winter on an Exposure setup.
    Pricy, but marvellous!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have a dynamo set up on my tourer, Really pleased with it so far (only a couple of rides in)

Supernova E3 Front light with a Supernova Rear.
    On a shimano Hub

STATO
    Free Member

Have been running a B&M Cyo and Schmidt Edelux for years, great things. Just fitted a B£M Cyo Premium to another bike, supposedly brighter (i suppose it is but the standard one is pretty good) but not sure i like the beam pattern as much, seems very susceptible to angle adjustment.

Whatever you get, dynamo is really the way to go for commuting. Makes you realise just how useless 1200L MTB lights are on road.

peath
    Free Member

One of my best bike purchases – Exposure here, with a second wheel build for my MTB (and an imported SP hub). Don’t need to worry about charging/battery life etc – bright enough for my unlit country lane commute and MTB rides with an additional helmet light.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My light gives a good beam AND visibility WITHOUT blinding oncoming peds/drivers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do any of these have an 8.4V output? i.e. could you wire one in parralel with a ‘normal’ MTB light, or does it have to be a dynamo specific light?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Shimano hub dynamo here. Been running for years and wouldn’t be without it

Hardly any drag and 365 days a year lighting with nothing to forget or charge

ransos
    Free Member

Whatever you get, dynamo is really the way to go for commuting. Makes you realise just how useless 1200L MTB lights are on road.

You can also get B&M battery lights with the same beam pattern. Mine lasts for 5 hours on full beam, which is more than enough for me.

avdave2

In an ideal world I’d have a dynamo hub on all my bikes. I’ve run a Son hub for 8 years of commuting 6 of which have been off road all year round and it just keeps working. What’s needed now are lights with a regulated USB out to charge all your gadgets in daylight.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about lights that are permanently fixed to the bike? As in screwed on.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using dynamo lights for a commuter?’ is closed to new replies.