Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone using a Works Components stepped chainring?
  • strike
    Free Member

Soon to push the button on going single ring and not having to run a chain device is a must for my frame.

Anyone got experience with them? I will be combining it was an X9 T2 rear mech.

goodgrief
    Free Member

they only started production this week, mine’s on pre-order

Northwind

Same here- but I don’t expect to run it with no chain device tbh. (even with XX1 quite a few SRAM sponsored athletes have refused to toe the party line on that) I’ll try it but not expecting miracles.

clubber
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to where you can order?

daver27
    Free Member

just thought i’d resurrect this old thread.

I have one that i have been using for the last month with a top guide only. i decided at the end of my ride to take the cage off the top guide last night and ride the last few trails as the ring was intended, guideless.

Blown away is how i would describe the experience, no loss of chain, no noise at all and i was REALLY trying to give it a hard time.

thoroughly impressed with it. I am now going to take the top guide off fully and see how it goes over the next few months.

I should say i am using an XT mid cage clutch mech as well.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

Daver27, that’s good to hear. I have one on order also and will post back here to state how it performs when I have it up and running.

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve now done another ride and tried as hard as possible to derail it in the first half of the ride down some very rough and steep trails. i failed.

infact i totally forgot about it after half the ride as it was just brilliant.

i am using a Norco Sight 1 so 140mm trail bike and i ride it hard, so it is getting a good test!

genuinely didn’t think it would be this good

stevied
    Free Member

Any pics of your set-up @daver? I’m thinking of going 1×10 and this looks like a really good option

daver27
    Free Member

I’ll grab some tonight.

another advantage is how easy it is to clean your drive train….pop the chain off, scrub the chainring spotless and pop the chain back on.

its a breath of fresh air

stevied
    Free Member

Cheers :mrgreen:

Northwind

I’ve banged on about it extensively but so far mine’s a 100% fix with a clutch mech and no chainguide at all, which I didn’t expect. Rattle a hardtail down fort william dh, quite badly, no bother. Crash halfway down, chain still stays on 😉

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

Just to report that I ran my works 32 tooth the other day and I was amazed it kept the chain on throughout the entire ride. Before it would drop every ride several times without the guide on. I got fed up of trying it, even with a clutch mech done up tight it was still coming off. I put the new ring on and wow. Just forgot it was there the whole ride as it just worked and kept it on even over ridiculous terrain in top gear whilst shifting and cranking hard.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Works Components stepped chainring?’ is closed to new replies.