Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone using a phablet / mega size smartphone?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just wondering what they’re like to live with ie carrying around, using, practicalities, do they replace anything that a normal smartphone wouldn’t etc. If you’ve got a handbag/manbag then I suppose you’ve got somewhere to stash it, but in your pocket? Do you use it more, rather than PC/laptop? What about any other features that are only practical with a bigger screen ie using it as a kindle? or not, are they a completely stupid idea?
    Anyone regret getting one?

logical
    Free Member

I had the Galaxy note when it came out. Loved it. Only got rid because when ICS came out it went very slow. I do regret getting rid of it. I loved it. When my renewal comes round I’ll be getting either Sony Xperia Z Ultra or the Galaxy Note 3.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I had a Note mk1. I got rid of it mainly due to poor wifi reception. Data was slow as well. I switched to a HTC Desire and immediately realised the Note was a huge mistake. It was the worst of both worlds. Too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. My advice is get a proper tablet and a proper smartphone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stimpy
    Free Member

Have a Galaxy Note II. Fits easily and comfortably in suit jacket pocket, but less so in jeans back pocket (does fit, OK for walking around, less so for sitting down).

I use MS Word and Excel via Citrix on it and the bigger screen is fantastic – you can actually read the documents and use full-blown desktop versions rather than the crappy word/excel mobile apps. Also good for viewing pdf files without having to zoom in and I can work from it on the go without having to use a laptop or tablet.

Battery life on the Note II is massive – it’ll take a full day of almost continual use. If you needed more, spare batteries cost about £10.

Also the big screen is great for using the built-in pen and the handwriting recognition is superb.

Netflix/iPlayer viewing is also much better than on my older/smaller smartphones.

Downside? You look like Dom Joly when you take a phone call 😆

scaredypants

I have a note 2 – used to have an orange montecarlo (biggish, cheap) but the note 2 is noticeably better for reading documents and surfing – to my old eyes anyway

I’ve never struggled to get it into a pocket, even with a slightly bulky case round it

battery life is brilliant compared to the old phone – I’m not a major user and don’t even have the wifi on all the time, but I can get 3-4days or up to a week sometimes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My boss has a note2, size wise is fine to hold, fits into pockets and the stylus is great for work stuff.

These days I mostly use the headset/phones with my s3 so I can type/write while talking anyway so would do the same a bigger phone.

ampthill

Just bought the Note after a mates raved about theirs. It will easily fit in pockets as I tend of have cargo type pockets on trousers. Loving it so far. It just seem moronic carrying a tablet and a phone.(have access to a nexus 7 at work) Keyboard is easier to use and hand writing recognition works well. Plus I have some potential work use for the stylus interface. Things like this site are easier on a larger screen. It was £188 off ebay

Deveron what is ICS

ThePinkster

ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich – Android >4.0

mogrim

I’ve got a Sony Xperia Z, 5″ screen so not as big as the Notes mentioned above. It fits perfectly into pockets, including jeans, although there’s no way you’ll get it out of a front pocket while sitting down…

The main downside: using the phone one handed can be a pain, you can’t reach both far corners of the screen with your thumb without having to move the phone around / balance it on your fingers (rather than gripping it firmly). In practice it’s not a huge problem, more of a slight irritant, but something to bear in mind.

I’m not sure I’d want to go back to a smaller screen as my main phone TBH, using someone else’s iPhone or whatever they feel really small and cramped.

ampthill

Oh my mines fine with Ice Cream 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    I’ve got a Sony Xperia Z

I’m thinking of the Xperia Ultra when it comes out in a few weeks, currently got a cheapy Monte Carlo (rubbish battery life, slow and virtually impossible in sunlight). The idea being that it would be good enough to do jack of all trades very well (internet, gps, kindle, tablet, phone, diary, ipod etc). Just worried that I might get fed up with not being able to shove it in a jeans pocket.

I’m also presuming you can use a bluetooth ear piece or hands free, so you don’t look like Dom Joly

clubber
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d want to go back to a smaller screen as my main phone TBH, using someone else’s iPhone or whatever they feel really small and cramped

I get the same when I switch from my tablet to my phone. It goes in about 2 minutes.

mogrim

I’m thinking of the Xperia Ultra when it comes out in a few weeks, currently got a cheapy Monte Carlo (rubbish battery life, slow and virtually impossible in sunlight). The idea being that it would be good enough to do jack of all trades very well (internet, gps, kindle, tablet, phone, diary, ipod etc). Just worried that I might get fed up with not being able to shove it in a jeans pocket.

Definitely good enough to do most things, although posting on STW and email is obviously better with a keyboard… I haven’t noticed any particular problem with it fitting in pockets, you’re not going to get the phone in/out while sitting (without lifting your bum off the seat) but that’s the same for most smartphones.

Mackem

Gor a Samsung Galaxy note II – Felt huge at first but now used to it. I do feel self-conscious using it as a phone, fortunately I rarely make calls nowadays. Fits fine in trouser pockets.

scaredypants

I wouldn’t say that my note2 is fantastic in direct sunlight – maybe if you got a matt-finish screenguard ?

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Another +1 for the note 2, although scaredypants comment about direct sunlight is right (i think it’s a general flaw with the superamoled screens Samsung use).

Have you looked at the HTC one? I think that’s nearly as big and is supposed to be very good.

Or, if you’ve got plenty of space in your trousers get one of the Samsung Megas

prawny

Asus fonpad, you know you want to.

I’ve got a Galaxy S3, which I thought was great at first but now seems too small. Most of the time I use my ipad mini now, but that’s a pain in the arse to carry around without a man bag.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a phablet / mega size smartphone?’ is closed to new replies.